Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Coupe Forums - 2.0T and 3.8 V6 > General 2009-2014 Genesis Coupe Discussion
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

General 2009-2014 Genesis Coupe Discussion Forum for discussions specifically regarding the Hyundai Genesis Coupe that don't fit anywhere else.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: unwanted traction control

Old 09-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Coupe
View RBRSPEC's Photo Album

RBRSPEC is on a distinguished road
Default unwanted traction control

Remove this ad
My 2011 RSPEC periodically applies traction control during tire spin even though it is manually turned off. Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Old 10-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Gurkha's Photo Album

Gurkha is on a distinguished road
Default Re: unwanted traction control

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBRSPEC View Post
My 2011 RSPEC periodically applies traction control during tire spin even though it is manually turned off. Has anyone else noticed this problem?
My understanding is that you can turn off ESC but not traction control.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:29 AM

Correct,when I turn the ESC off the car will at times spin the rear wheels freely and other times act as if TCS is being applied. On an 2011 does the ESC switch deactivate both ESC and TCS?
Old 10-01-2011, 02:18 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View mikec's Photo Album

mikec is on a distinguished road

On the 2009 models at least the ESC Off button seems to do little more than turn on a instrument panel light. The traction control and stability control seem nearly equally functional/aggressive with the ESC On or Off. Maybe, just maybe, they are less sensitive (i.e. allow more "fun") with Off selected but I wouldn't bet on it.

Traction control is always On for my car; the only way to get significant wheel spin on my car is to punch it while turning from a standing start. The inside wheel will spin quite a bit - despite the so-called limited slip differential. I don't think both rear wheels are spinning because the back end of the car doesn't slew (fishtail) around like my other cars would do in similar circumstances. A couple of years ago, while visiting Utah in winter, I intentially tried a few "dumb" maneuvers to test the traction and stability controls - both kept the car from getting out of hand, ESC On or Off.

There is a different thread somewhere on this forum describing how to really disable the systems - by pulling a specific fuse, hitting the ESC Off button, and then putting the fuse back. The fuse is in the engine bay, not one of the dash fuses... so it's a minor nuisance to do.

mike c.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:15 AM
View yellow3.8track's Photo Album

yellow3.8track is on a distinguished road

I've noticed that mine will spin both rear tires (as much as across a couple lanes of traffic while the back end is drifting sideways) when starting off from a stopped condition and turning the steering wheel. This is with traction control on. I kept waiting for the traction control to engage and stop the wheelspin but it didn't and I let up on the gas once I got all the way across the south bound lanes and into the north bound lanes of traffic.

Maybe it works under some conditions but not others.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:33 AM
View interrex's Photo Album

interrex is on a distinguished road

2011 3.8 track shuts off and can do burn out. Never tried to go on 2 wheels sideways leave it for the young and not to bright.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:49 AM

Thanks for your interest and replies.Yellow3.8track`s comment of "maybe it works under some conditions but not others" made a some good sense while out ripping around today.PFM right!!The car worked perfectly with the ESC turned off,though I didn`t throw it into a corner too hard or side step the clutch.Guess I`ll have to keep experimenting seeing this car was bought for having fun.Not to mention the 10yr/100k on a limited slip rear wheel drive with a 6speed that runs pretty good.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:36 PM

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/genesis-coupe/safety.aspx
Old 10-17-2011, 06:51 AM
Drives a Hyundai 2.0T Turbo Coupe
View Red Raspberry's Photo Album

Red Raspberry is on a distinguished road

I can say with my 2010 Track model once the ESC is turned off the TSC is too. No engine power reduction at all. The ABS is still on all the time though and I don't mind that.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View kakakakia's Photo Album

kakakakia is on a distinguished road

Hey guys......A lady friend of mine has a 2010 Genesis coupe 3.8 GT and has been having all sorts of problems with the traction control. I mentioned that she needs to locate this site and surely someone else might be having the same problems...and sure enough, looks as if I am correct.

She had to attend a concert, but I will leave info for this site on her cell phone and I'm pretty certain she will get back to y'all. She's had the car back to the dealer approximately 6 times. She has finally had it and began the process of filling out the paper work for the Lemon Law.

I told her that the "brain box" for a better term...under the dash SHOULD be able to record and remember what happened with the traction control and when, but apparently this box is not doing what it is meant to do, in fact she told me the dealership installed a brand new computer and the problem still exists.

I'm sorry I cannot give more pertinent info as I did not write down all she said. I do know she loves her Genesis Coupe and she bought new to avoid having to take a car down to the service department...and yet here she is...taking it to the service dept. Seems to me, if one spends $30k on any car, it should spend more time ON the road than IN the shop.

I will pass this site info onto her and as I said...she will prolly be chiming in here if not tonight, for sure on Wednesday.

Jerry
Old 10-18-2011, 11:33 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis/Equus In His/Her Dreams (Doesn't own one yet)
View kat53's Photo Album

kat53 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: unwanted traction control

Here's the situation--When starting my Genesis 3.8 V6 Coupe, the ESC OFF indicator light (Electronic Stability Control) on the dash sometimes stays lit. If I'm not paying attention and put the car in gear (drive or reverse, it doesn't matter), there is a clunk sound and if I were to start driving, the car stays in a low gear. The only remedy is to pull over, turn the car off, and re-start the car. Problem has happend 22 times since Dec of 2010--I have come to recognize the 'clunk' if I don't see the dash light first and must turn the car off, re-start, and then it's okay.

I've had the car in for diagnostic checks 6 times. The only code the dealer could extract was "loss of communication." The ECM (computer) was replaced in August 2011; THEN the connectors were 'cleaned up' in October 2011. The light is still coming on.

I have had the radio turn on all by itself with 100% no way I did it accidentally as my hands were holding onto the bottom of the steering wheel.

Has anyone had these issues?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:12 AM

Sounds like they need to replace a wiring harness. I had a truck that did crazy stuff . Had it to the dealer 10 times and finally it was the main wiring harness behind the dash. A good trouble shooter can find the problem. That is your problem the tech does not know to much about these cars yet because they are so new. It takes time to get all the bugs out of them. So I would demand a new car to drive and not pick mine up until the problem is fixed. Your life is worth more than $30 grand.....
Old 01-01-2013, 04:23 PM
View Top Gear's Photo Album

Top Gear is on a distinguished road

Old thread, but always a current topic... I think there are differences between the Coupe trim levels, and between Genesis models, and of course, between manufacturers. The 2013 Coupes have a 3-stage system, but on my 2012 3.8 R-Spec it's a 2-stage.

On mine, the Stability (yaw) and Traction (wheelspin) ESC system is ON or OFF, while ABS is always on, except for the handbrake. When ESC is ON, the engine is slightly detuned or certainly more sluggish, with any hint of wheelspin handled using various levels of reactions, as we all know. Drifting or burning out is nearly impossible with the system ON. With ESC OFF, the R-Spec engine is tuned back up, drifts and burns are easy although tricky because of manual transmission, which is normal. Only when the system is OFF is the incredible balance of the R-Spec's handling revealed. It's just a very different car under hard driving, while at low speeds and light acceleration in dry conditions you can't really tell the difference between ON/OFF. I think of it as having "safe" vs "sport" modes.

The other models and/or years seem to be different in configuration, or perhaps the drivers who post on various forums like this, for fear of being attacked, are really unsure as to what is going on - many do not seem to race or even drive really hard.

The button is there for a reason. When driving hard, the ESC system can be as dangerous as the easy drifting from having it off under wide open throttle. It comes back to the driver and their level of experience. The R-Spec Coupe is designed to perform with cars costing two and three times more More expensive "supercars" can have various modes and separate system controls for traction, stability and throttle response, etc.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:20 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 2.0T Turbo Coupe
View coupe's Photo Album

coupe is on a distinguished road

Remove this ad
Hello guys!!! I am new here, I have a problem on my coupe 2.0 everytime i hit the 80kph, the ESP (electronic stability program) appears and it will not allow me to exceed above 80kph. This happens in a normal driving and it really pisses me off. Can someone help me... Thank you!!
Old 10-23-2014, 07:15 PM
View d962r's Photo Album

d962r is on a distinguished road

you all do know that just pressing the button does not turn it all off... you have to press and hold the button until the a bell sounds and it comes up on the dash that both are disabled.