Registered members do not see this advertisement! Remove it by signing up for free.
hyundai genesis sedan   hyundai genesis sedan

Go Back   Hyundai Genesis Forum > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Forums - 3.8 V6, 4.6 V8, 5.0 R-Spec V8 > Hyundai Genesis Sedan Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics
Hyundai Genesis Forum Advertise Help us help you! Calendar Today's Posts

Notices

Hyundai Genesis Sedan Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics Discussions regarding satellite/stereo and electrical systems including GPS navigation and bluetooth.

Hyundai Genesis Forum: Playback problems from USB stick

Old 04-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Drives a Hyundai 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View wayoutwest's Photo Album

wayoutwest is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Playback problems from USB stick

Remove this ad
Hmmm... that is kinda silly that you can't just leave it in all the time... no? Who actually takes it in and out every time they get in the car? I'd think that wear on the USB slot over time would be pretty high!

Old 04-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Drives a Hyundai Equus Signature
View Richard Ft. Lauderdale's Photo Album

Richard Ft. Lauderdale is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayoutwest View Post
Hmmm... that is kinda silly that you can't just leave it in all the time... no? Who actually takes it in and out every time they get in the car? I'd think that wear on the USB slot over time would be pretty high!

I know there are some people who leave them plugged in all the time and never have a problem. I don't know why mine is different. Maybe yours has another problem. Have you tried to see if it will work properly if plugged in after the car is started?
Old 04-03-2009, 05:40 PM
View thomaspf's Photo Album

thomaspf is on a distinguished road
Default USB connectivty problems solved with DIS update

when I brought my car to the shop for atune-up they updated the DIS firmware. While it is painful to have lost all the contacs etc. I am extremely happy to have found that my USB connectivty problems are gone.

I leave the drive always connected and with the new firmware it is being detected every time I start the car. The player application still gets stuck once in a while but much less frequent.

Cheers

Thomas
Old 01-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Coupe
View IronRed's Photo Album

IronRed is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old thread, but I just called the dealership after reading this thread to see if there was an update for my car, the guy told me it was only a NAV update. I don't have the Nav unit. The guy said I would have to bring my car in for them to inspect it. That's not what I wanted to hear.

My issue is that the USB stick will work most of the time, but in certain folders, it will get to t certain point and then stop playing, it will just keep advancing tracks. Sometimes I can switch folders and it work. If I pull it out and reinsert, it works fine, but if I advance back to where it was, it may start skipping again immediatly.

Does anyone have any new suggestions?
Old 01-16-2011, 03:43 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 4.6 V8 Tau Sedan
View mikec's Photo Album

mikec is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronRed View Post
My issue is that the USB stick will work most of the time, but in certain folders, it will get to t certain point and then stop playing, it will just keep advancing tracks. Sometimes I can switch folders and it work. If I pull it out and reinsert, it works fine, but if I advance back to where it was, it may start skipping again immediatly.

Does anyone have any new suggestions?
Some folks have had similar issues with USB sticks - things work normally up to a particular song or whatever... and then it goes stupid. Typically it's one of two things:
1: the song encoding is corrupt... or encoded with variable bit rates. VBR seems to sometimes confuse the system. The system doesn't seem to have much tolerance "when things go wrong or do something unexpected" in the encoding.

2: the "FAT32" formatting of the USB stick isn't quite per the spec. Many "factory formats" are slightly askew in one way or another. The fix is to move your songs/data someplace and then let Windows format the USB stick completely. Put your songs/date back after the format is complete.

I have one that I leave in the car full-time - works fine. The Tech package system remembers where it was when the system was shut OFF and resumes from that point - instead of re-starting at the top of the stick each time I start the car's engine.

mike c.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:01 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
View vega's Photo Album

vega is on a distinguished road

One problem could be the mp3 file itself. It could become corrupt from its creation, and sometimes from copying. Try mp3val to repair the files.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View Hghwy52's Photo Album

Hghwy52 is on a distinguished road

I use mp3DirectCut (it's free and easy to use) to change the sound level of mp3s or cut out some long instrumental intros that can't really be heard over road noise. I can attest to the fact that editing some vbr recordings can produce a mp3 file that plays fine on a computer but will be skipped over by the Lexicon. And some downloaded files may have already been edited in such a way that they will not play on the car's audio.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Drives a Hyundai 3.8 V6 Sedan
View eruddoh's Photo Album

eruddoh is on a distinguished road

Can anyone who is not having problems post an example of the exact file structure you'd recommend? I thought it had to be folder/song like "Black Keys/01-10am Automatic" something like that, in the root drive. I'm having the random advancing issue that has been mentioned, but other than that I like the feature...
Old 04-01-2011, 09:58 AM
View homeofstone's Photo Album

homeofstone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruddoh View Post
Can anyone who is not having problems post an example of the exact file structure you'd recommend? I thought it had to be folder/song like "Black Keys/01-10am Automatic" something like that, in the root drive. I'm having the random advancing issue that has been mentioned, but other than that I like the feature...
I use mp3 files in 256 or 320 I think. I RIP the music from cd's using windows media player. I then organize the music in folders to my liking on the usb drive and it works without any problems.
2005 Mercedes E500 w/sport pkg.
2013 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD
1965 Ford Mustang 289cid V8 restored
Old 04-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 5.0 V8 R-Spec Sedan
View vega's Photo Album

vega is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have had no problems with any files I ripped myself, both CBR and VBR. Some files I have downloaded, or were given, would have problems toward the end of the track, where they would stop @ 5 seconds before the end and repeat the last 10 seconds or so. Repairing these files corrected the skipping, most were found to have "garbage at end of file" by mp3val. I have mp3's from 128kb all the way to 320kb, and many are VBR. All play flawlessly.

I have the drive formatted as Fat32. Directory and file structure seem to be anything goes. I can tell you, the Genesis player is very slow browsing directories with more than 25 files in them. As for the drive itself, I've used 1gb right through 16gb drives without problems, and have a couple of Cruiser Micros that have U3 that also play fine.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:32 PM
View msitter's Photo Album

msitter is on a distinguished road

I am probably one of the most digitally challenged people here and I got it to work on several different flash drives with no problems and on the first try. I converted about 150 CD's to MP3 files and saved them in Itunes. I then had Itunes sync with the flash drive. Technically I have no clue why it worked but it did. I did create a playlist because all of the music was 15.8 gb and the drive was 8 gb. It put everything in alphabetical order and that is the way it shows on the display. Unless you are trying for some trick result that should at least get music into your car.
1982 El Camino
2005 Triumph Rocket III
Old 04-02-2011, 02:59 AM
View mikec's Photo Album

mikec is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not sure what you're asking. I used plain old Windows Media Player to make files from my music CDs, and I have MP3 files from another source. All were copied to a USB memory stick formatted in regular FAT32. Use Windows to format the memory stick; even though almost all of them come pre-formatted some manufacturers put "extra stuff" in the format that isn't quite FAT32 compliant... and that can cause problems. That stuff won't do whatever it was supposed to do on the Lexicon A/V system anyway. Then I created normal directories (folders) by artist or group name, and sometimes sub-directories/sub-folders if I had multiple CD albums for that artist... just like you'd naturally do to organize stuff in Windows. My 2009 Tech package Lexicon has no problems walking through the directory trees and playing the audio files it finds. I don't use "random" play; I've never tried it so I don't know how well it works on my car.

Of course, if you like to select music for playback by genre... the Genesis flunks that one. Whatever "sorting" you did while making the subdirectories is all you'll get. No way to say "play all hard rock files" and have the Lexicon scan all directories for such files. The Lexicon doesn't read any of the "tag" fields possible in MP3 files; all it knows are the directory, filename, and the music itself. Those tags are often used for genre sorting... won't work in the Genesis.

mike c.

Last edited by mikec; 04-02-2011 at 03:12 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:48 PM
View Onedurwho's Photo Album

Onedurwho is on a distinguished road

I just bought a 16g and loaded it straight from explorer. Didn't need to format (already done)...just Drug folders from "my music" folder to "external mass storage device" drive, dropped, and done. Have had no problem.......yet.

He who said "Winning isn't everything" has never played the game!

Black/Mahogany/Cashmere Tech-Pack w/Tint and Rebadge
Old 04-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Drives a Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6 Coupe
View IronRed's Photo Album

IronRed is on a distinguished road

Remove this ad
i formatted my thumbdrive. then paid attention to the last song played when the skipping occured and deleted them. i had an isue once more with the skipping, but since my last post, i haven't had any additional issues.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:54 AM
View homeofstone's Photo Album

homeofstone is on a distinguished road

I use a 16gig USB cruiser drive. I check the files closely before it goes in the car, making sure there are no junk files on the drive. Man I bet we could have all kind of problems if a virus ever gets into the Genesis system.
2005 Mercedes E500 w/sport pkg.
2013 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD
1965 Ford Mustang 289cid V8 restored