• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

12.5 Nav Update Available

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

secundinus

SUPPORTING MEMBER
National Capital Region
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

mrg175

Hasn't posted much yet...
Montréal, Québec
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
News from Canada.

Genesis Canada has implemented a software to download map updates that lets you install it yourself on your car.
I have a 2017 G90 and 12.5 was shown as an available update.

First step is to logon to your account on Genesis Canada.
Then you order the map update (free)
Then the MnSOFT map downloader application is downloaded to your PC
You start the application and wait. Their site is slow. 5 hours and 30 GB later, the software is copied to your USB drive.
You then start your engine, put in the USB drive and let it run for 90 minutes....
Really, in 2019, you need to run a 365HP engine for 90 minutes in order to perform an update :(

vasy

Getting familiar with the group...
VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
News from Canada.

Genesis Canada has implemented a software to download map updates that lets you install it yourself on your car.

You start the application and wait. Their site is slow. 5 hours and 30 GB later, the software is copied to your USB drive.
You then start your engine, put in the USB drive and let it run for 90 minutes....
Really, in 2019, you need to run a 365HP engine for 90 minutes in order to perform an update :(
Good news. Have you actually carried out this update by yourself?

mrg175

Montréal, Québec
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Yes, the 90 minutes just completed and everything looks fine.
I had problems with the previous versions where a number of roads were identified as private and never used to calculate the best itinerary to go to my daughter's house. I had reported the problems and the new version fixed these problems. (y)

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
News from Canada.

Best is to plan a bit of an adventure that lasts at least 90 minutes and go. At least drive 45 minutes in the direction of your choice and turn around. You won't have the radio and a few other features but better than just having the car sit wasting gas.

onexcite

Pacific NW
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
90 minutes idle will burn less than 1 and 1/2 gallon of gas. So I'm okay with that rather than making an appointment and have to wait at the dealership while they doing the same thing since none of the Genesis dealers around my area offer valet service.

vasy

VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
If I do it myself (I do plan to if it's offered to the US customers), I'll probably do it in my garage with the ignition on (engine off) and battery charger hooked up. I don't see why it can't be done this way.

Mike734

Been here awhile...
Seattle area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
There is a battery protection function that shuts down battery drain after 45 minutes. I don’t know if that would happen with the ign on but engine not running.

vasy

VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
There is a battery protection function that shuts down battery drain after 45 minutes. I don’t know if that would happen with the ign on but engine not running.
I'll use a battery charger to charge my G90's battery during the entire map update session. I'm sure there will be an electrical problem with the car (specifically G90) if I leave the ignition on without charging the battery for 90 minutes.

Don't know if/when Genesis will implement this procedure for US customers. They should because it'll ease the workload for dealerships.

Mike734

Been here awhile...
Seattle area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Right, OK, that might work. I believe the 45 minutes is based on the engine not on. It’s supposed to save the battery if you leave the doors open or leave something on. I don’t know if using a battery charger will fool it. I guess you’ll find out.

onexcite

Pacific NW
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
From my experience with the last update, once it starts the process, turn off the engine won't stop or turn off the nav unit, the map update process still carry on until finish. But I started the engine and let it idle.