'15 3.8 rwd: what is the "real" mpg & mechanical reliability like?

BigTree

Registered Member
Socal
I'm a long term Audi/Benz owner (1st post here) with a '14 E350 lease ending shortly. Was about to downsize to a C-300 just because I don't need the room (kids grown) and figured I would lower the lease cost. The new C300 is actually an impressive car and I was ready to lease one when I heard about the Genesis.

I got a Costco referral to local dealer, drove the car and was certainly impressed. I'm being quoted a great deal on a new '15 Ultimate in which the 3 year lease payment will be $60-80 less/month than the C300 (which is well equipped, but not Ultimate level!).

I'm torn between the two and I will admit that part of it is the MB Star, but I can get over that. My questions are:
- EPA mileage isn't great, but what is the "real world" mileage you guys are getting? I do alot of around town driving, but also plenty of freeway where the E350 got 28-30 mpg.
- I see regular fuel is recommended, but does the engine really run well on that?
- Overall, do these cars have mechanical issues that will see them in the shop for more than just scheduled maintenance?
- Didn't realize the Genesis was a little longer (4") than the E350. That may actually be a garage issue for me! Kind of wish it was shorter!

Sorry for the long first post! Thanks for your patience and any comments you car to make.

balfor

Registered Member
CA
The Genesis is a great car, I've been very impressed with mine and I am coming from Lexus, having had some 6 or so GS and LS models over the last two decades (gulp..guess I'm getting old)

I think the mileage is actually rated rather well, same as the Lexus GS350 for example which is a smaller and lighter car. So far with mine, I get a consistent 23-24mpg in mixed driving about 50/50 city and highway. All highway trips I have seen as high as 31-33. On the other hand, heavy city I have seen 19 or so. For me, the EPA rating of 22 combined is actually a bit conservative.

Runs great on regular, that is all I have put in. Never had any pinging or driveability issues so have not felt any need to put premium in. That is a nice change from my Lexus that all "required" premium.

Overall reliability, for me that remains to be seen. However, I will say the car seems well built and my only issue in 8 months was a faulty instrument cluster, replaced under warranty. If you are leasing you could always see how the car does over the three years and perhaps buy it at the end if it seems reliable. That is probably what I will do unless tempted by something new!

NewGen

Registered Member
Suburban MD
I get between 22-24 mpg with my 3.8 awd, mixed driving. Haven't done a lot of long distance freeway driving, but for the couple of trips I took I averaged around 30 mpg. Have had the Genny for almost 2 years and have had no problems requiring maintenance (other than a couple of recall items). I only use regular, and I have plenty of power. Engine is smooth.

You must have a small garage. I went from a Lincoln MKS to the Genny and the Genny is an inch or two shorter. I was able to park the MKS in my parent's garage and had about four inches, and they did not have a large garage. Good luck on your decision!

BigTree

Registered Member
Socal
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. That mileage experience sounds almost exactly like my E350, which is certainly satisfactory; but it takes "only" premium! As to the garage (issue), the garage is normal 2 car garage, but right now we have too much junk which squeezes the dimensions a bit. Plus, "my" spot has a closet in front of it and there needs to be enough room for the doors to open. Not a huge deal....may just have to switch spots with my better half.

thanks again, and certainly interested in more feedback, especially from other 2G Genesis owners that were coming from the German competition. I must say that in my one test drive, the Genesis actually felt like a bigger car than the E-class, which is not really a good thing (imo), but not a horrible one either. I'm wondering how other E, A6 and 5 series guys felt about that.

accordn2ryan

Registered Member
Los Angeles, CA
I've had my Genesis since July 2015, and have been very impressed by it so far. I haven't had any mechanical issues and have only taken the car in for regular maintenance, and to have my tail light replaced due to condensation, but Hyundai fixed it and haven't had any problems since.

I do mainly city driving, and if I do end up on the freeway I'm usually stuck in stop and go traffic, and I'm averaging about 18-20 mpg (this is based off the average shown on my dash), I haven't done actual calculations based on how many miles I drive off a full tank, so those numbers might not be as accurate.

I do agree with you on that the Genesis does feel like driving a big car, especially if you're used to having a more sporty feel, but the Genesis is fine for my daily commute. If you want the more sporty feel, have you considered test driving other sports sedans (340i, Q50, IS350, etc)?

Genentec

Registered Member
mpg will be same. Id say the genesis will feel lighter off the throttle and the driving modes sport, normal, and econ will be more noticeable.

the car is actually bigger than a e350, i think its on a substantially longer wheel base vs the e350.

the c class lease will probably run u about 450 to 500 with a 4000 down. that takes u to about 19k total out of pocket. I mind as well get a new 2015 Genesis for 30k and buy it outright.

I dont know about the 2016 c or e class, but i have first hand experience with the 2011 e350 e class and the genesis is much much better. everything just feels better built and the mechanics of the transmission feels smoother and better quality. the electronics and the electronic motors just feel much smoother, sturdier, better built. It feels like it will last way past the 60k mile warranty period. Unlike the mercedes, u really don't want to own it past 40k miles.

Also the genesis drives so much better than the 2011 benz e350. feels more precise nimble and tight. If u drove it u will know what I mean.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. That mileage experience sounds almost exactly like my E350, which is certainly satisfactory; but it takes "only" premium! As to the garage (issue), the garage is normal 2 car garage, but right now we have too much junk which squeezes the dimensions a bit. Plus, "my" spot has a closet in front of it and there needs to be enough room for the doors to open. Not a huge deal....may just have to switch spots with my better half.

thanks again, and certainly interested in more feedback, especially from other 2G Genesis owners that were coming from the German competition. I must say that in my one test drive, the Genesis actually felt like a bigger car than the E-class, which is not really a good thing (imo), but not a horrible one either. I'm wondering how other E, A6 and 5 series guys felt about that.

Last edited:

BigTree

Registered Member
Socal
The '14 E 350 has improvements over the '11 and I've really enjoyed the car. If I wanted a $590-650/month (depending on equipment & zero down) lease I probably would have just done that and never looked at Genesis (I'm glad I did!). The C-300 best lease deal so far is about $470 with good but not all equipment; especially compared to Genesis. I have always had A6s and E350 size sedans but had wrapped my head around all these great reasons to downsize this time and, again, the C is a really good car. But the sticker on the ones I'm looking at is about $49k vs. $50k for Genesis Ultimate! And the G lease is about $410 (so far...I'm not done with them yet!). That's due to $11k vs $8k in cap reduction and a ridiculous .00012 money factor compared to the .00152 on the C.

So, I'm just deciding between the "prestige/ego" issue, and the size of the car overall I guess. To equip the C the way Genesis is equipped would add $40-$50 to the payment (not that I need all the stuff on the G, but I am a guy and like the toys!

smirn0ff

Registered Member
Bulgaria
The EGO figure depends :)
Here in Europe, there are many Mercedes,Audi,BMW cars on the road.
Genesis are very few cars in WHOLE Europe, so I bought a Genesis.
Result is ALL EYES ON ME :)
Very good car for its money. I can clearly compare it with Audi, Mercedes and BMW!
On highway drive this car is dead sound until 140km/h which is max speed on highways on all EU. Im regulary driving with 160km/h on which the car is also very good sound isolated. At this speed I normally talk with the people in the car, even on the back seats.

I love this car! About myself it is better than every A6, E Class or 5 Series...

drak24

Hasn't posted much yet...
I've had my Genesis since July 2015, and have been very impressed by it so far. I haven't had any mechanical issues and have only taken the car in for regular maintenance, and to have my tail light replaced due to condensation, but Hyundai fixed it and haven't had any problems since.

I do mainly city driving, and if I do end up on the freeway I'm usually stuck in stop and go traffic, and I'm averaging about 18-20 mpg (this is based off the average shown on my dash), I haven't done actual calculations based on how many miles I drive off a full tank, so those numbers might not be as accurate.

I do agree with you on that the Genesis does feel like driving a big car, especially if you're used to having a more sporty feel, but the Genesis is fine for my daily commute. If you want the more sporty feel, have you considered test driving other sports sedans (340i, Q50, IS350, etc)?

Question, how does the Genesis compare to the Q50 for you?

accordn2ryan

Registered Member
Los Angeles, CA
Question, how does the Genesis compare to the Q50 for you?

The driving feel of the Genesis compared to the Q50 definitely took a little time getting used to since the Genesis even in sport mode, didn't feel as sporty as the Q50 handling wise. You can't really compare the two as far as feel since they are in different segments; Q50 is a sports sedan, and Genesis is a luxury sedan. The only thing I compared was the price, since they were both priced pretty similarly, but I get all the tech features offered in the Genesis for pretty much the same price I paid for the Q50S just with navigation.

The interior of the Genesis is eventually what made me pull the trigger on the Genesis as the parts used in the Genesis are not cheap feeling by any standards, and are on par if not better than the Q50's interior. Infotainment was also one of the things that made me switch to the Genesis; the ease of use, and not having to reboot the infotainment was just a nightmare in the 2014 Q50's, but Infiniti ended up buying the car back because they just couldn't fix my navigation black screen issue. The Q50 was definitely fun to drive and I never had any mechanical problems with all of my past Infiniti's I've owned. Infiniti just dropped the ball on their new infotainment system, but I heard they have fixed those issues in their 2015 models.

To fully equip the Q50S with all the tech features the Genesis has, can get up to around $54k. I do miss the spirited driving, but the girlfriend just picked up the IS350 fsport, so I at least have that to mess around with on the weekends :D

jsmit86

Registered Member
Elgin, IL
I used to have an Infiniti G35. It's the best handling car I have ever owned. The Genesis is probably #2, and it's a much larger, heavier car.

There are some other very nice touches on the Q50, but IMHO, they are missing some must haves in any Luxury segment. No ventilated seats? No heated rear seats? You can get those on a Sonata for cryin' out loud! No folding mirrors? I will give them credit for the dual screens for the NAV and Infotainment. All in all, the Genesis is a better value. It will be interesting when the G70 launches. That could be the car that does for Hyundai what the original G35 did for Infiniti.

losboricua

Registered Member
NE Ohio
It all depends how you drive your car. When I worked 40 minutes away, I was doing about 75% freeway and 25% city. I averaged about 27-28 mpg. Now I'm 90% city and 10% freeway and I average 18-19 mpg, my drive is like 7 minutes to work now.

linmk2

Registered Member
I've had my 2015 Genesis Ultimate for about six months. My weekly driving is a combination of city and highway, with a bias a little more toward the highway side. I've been averaging about 23 MPG. This is actually slightly better than the 2011 Acura TL V6 that the Genesis replaced. My Acura required premium fuel, whereas the Genesis does not. As another poster stated, my car runs fine on regular. As far a reliably, there has been one feature of the car that has not worked since day one. The rear A/C vent has never worked. The feature is "greyed out" on the setting screen. I've not taken it back to the dealer for them to repair. Beyond that, so far I've not had any issues with the vehicle. There was an annoying squeak coming from the driver's door, but I cured that with some silicone spray on the door gaskets. So far I'm very pleased with the Genesis. Hope you have good luck with yours.

AustinTX

Registered Member
Austin, TX
I just wanted to add a little bit of data to this thread. I have only put about 1,200 miles on my Genesis so far, so about 4 fill-ups. I get less than 20 mpg, most of my driving is highway, although the speed limit around here is 75 mph (TX toll roads) - so my average speed is a little higher than what most highways in the US allow. I drive with the Adaptive Cruise Control on almost exclusively.

My trip computer shows 22 mph average, the last fill up was actually 19.5 mph based on miles driven and gallons refilled. So the trip computer is very optimistic.

For reference, my Chrysler 300C with a 3.L V6 (295 HP) and an 8-speed got a lifetime average of 20.5 mph (the Genesis lifetime average is 18.8 so far based on 4 fuel ups). I drive both cars in the same manner (they both have ACC), I'm not racing the Genesis more than the 300C ...

I would say gas mileage is disappointing, unlike the rest of the vehicle, which is very nice (much nicer than the 300C).

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
AustinTX, your engine should loosen up over time. I typically get an indicated 24-ish on Austin toll-roads when I'm there, and that's on a V8. Please note that's measuring highway-only. Whenever the Genesis has to stop for anything, mileage plummets. It's why when I drive to Austin from the Houston Metro area, I leave at like 3:00am.

Ernie3647

Been here awhile...
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I've had my Genesis for about 20 months now and have 14,000 miles on it. My average since then has been about 21 mpg. On long trips I've reached an honest 28 mpg per tank (measured not indicated) and a low of 16 mpg in the cold winter on many short trips. My normal driving is about 65 to 70% highway and we drive very conservatively mostly with smart cruise on. Admittedly not very good mpg but it is a full time AWD and what it lacks in that department it more than makes up in others.

AustinTX

Registered Member
Austin, TX
AustinTX, your engine should loosen up over time. I typically get an indicated 24-ish on Austin toll-roads when I'm there, and that's on a V8. Please note that's measuring highway-only. Whenever the Genesis has to stop for anything, mileage plummets. It's why when I drive to Austin from the Houston Metro area, I leave at like 3:00am.

Yeah, I hope it will loosen up some, the mpg is the only thing that really bothers me so far.

I hope whoever pays your salary compensates you well - I am not a fan of getting up at 3 am in the morning, something good would have to be at the other end of that trip for me (says the guy who travels 20+ weekends a year for work, flying 100,000+ miles in the process).

My fuel consumption history and details are behind the link in my signature - there's actually a banner that would show up if I wasn't too lazy to figure out how to change the Fuelly link into actually showing the banner with current data ...

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
've been averaging about 23 MPG. This is actually slightly better than the 2011 Acura TL V6 that the Genesis replaced. My Acura required premium fuel, whereas the Genesis does not.

Another bonus in using regular.

As oil/gas prices have gone down - there is an increasing spread btwn the price of regular and premium.

Alwaysforward

Been here awhile...
South Florida - Treasure Coast
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I continue to get on average, 21 mpg with my 5.0 burning strickly Premium Unleaded Mobil fuel.

smirn0ff

Registered Member
Bulgaria
I just get back from an European trip with my car. I get passed around 1600 miles(2600km) and my mpg was on highway driving always between 26-28(10.3-11l/100km)

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums