• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

'15 5.0 RWD vs '17 3.8 AWD

Rmsanger

Hasn't posted much yet...
I've been looking for a G70 3.3T for quite some time now; finally went to test drive a used '19 this last weekend. The wife gave it the thumbs down due to not enough rear room for child seats (3 year old and newborn on the way in May). I really wanted the G70 based upon the interior/exterior styling and more enthusiast based dynamics. She also thumbs down'd the Stinger we drove as it's too "low".. We live in Utah and I have scraping issues with my Maxima and the stinger is even lower.

G70 we drove: 2019 Genesis G70 on KSL.com

Anywho I'm left with the below options that are more suitable for 2 kids. I've tried to do my best at researching both models and have driven the 5.0 but not the 3.8. Would you think the 2 years and 30k less miles is worth the $5k premium or would you take the savings and enjoy the V8 and what the Ultimate package offers?

'17 G80 3.8 AWD (non ultimate) $24.7k 36k miles
2017 Genesis G80 on KSL.com

'15 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 5.0 Ultimate RWD $19.7k 65k miles
2015 Hyundai Genesis on KSL.com

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Get the ‘20 Santa Fe and enjoy it. You’ll love it. Sure, it will stretch your budget, but just keep it for 5+ years.

Last edited:

Backslack

Registered Member
Do you prioritize AWD or the 5.0? You should narrow it down to that because that's really the biggest difference.

I've also read on Consumer Reports that the '15 Genesis 5.0 has a handful of minor drivetrain and electronic quibbles, unsurprisingly from a first-year model, so I'd be wary of buying a high mileage one with no warranty.

Rmsanger

Do you prioritize AWD or the 5.0? You should narrow it down to that because that's really the biggest difference.

I've also read on Consumer Reports that the '15 Genesis 5.0 has a handful of minor drivetrain and electronic quibbles, unsurprisingly from a first-year model, so I'd be wary of buying a high mileage one with no warranty.
Thanks this is very helpful... In a snowy/mountainous climate I was leaning toward AWD but RWD + snow tiers is plenty capable is most cases. Hadn't heard much about 5.0 engine issues but I will research.

Rmsanger

Get the ‘20 Santa Fe and enjoy it. You’ll love it. Sure, it will stretch your budget, but just keep it for 5+ years.
My wife has an MDX and I personally hate CUVs... If forced to go that route I'd get an CPO RDX or wait for the GV70. The CX5 2.5T is a decent value but it's pretty small and very feminine (not in a good way).

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

16UltV6Guy

I quit!!!!
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Jax, FL
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
While I'm a huge fan of all the goodies the Ultimate trim brings with it (I own one after all!), I wouldn't care for the 2015 due to it having typical first model year issues, plus the mileage is higher than I would like as a starting point of ownership. Limited to just those 2 choices, I would opt for the 2017, with an extended warranty also purchased (I'm a big believer in them).

Maybe keep looking for a while longer....

Good luck with your search.

Rmsanger

Thanks everyone and I agree with the general consensus that the 3.8 AWD seems like the logical choice for the price point. I'll see if I can setup a test drive for friday!

Kraig Wilkinson

SUSTAINING MEMBER
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
I've been looking for a G70 3.3T for quite some time now; finally went to test drive a used '19 this last weekend. The wife gave it the thumbs down due to not enough rear room for child seats (3 year old and newborn on the way in May). I really wanted the G70 based upon the interior/exterior styling and more enthusiast based dynamics. She also thumbs down'd the Stinger we drove as it's too "low".. We live in Utah and I have scraping issues with my Maxima and the stinger is even lower.

G70 we drove: 2019 Genesis G70 on KSL.com

Anywho I'm left with the below options that are more suitable for 2 kids. I've tried to do my best at researching both models and have driven the 5.0 but not the 3.8. Would you think the 2 years and 30k less miles is worth the $5k premium or would you take the savings and enjoy the V8 and what the Ultimate package offers?

'17 G80 3.8 AWD (non ultimate) $24.7k 36k miles
2017 Genesis G80 on KSL.com

'15 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 5.0 Ultimate RWD $19.7k 65k miles
2015 Hyundai Genesis on KSL.com
I agree with the going consensus go with the 17. As much as I love my 15 5.0 I would rather have warranty and CPO. Go with the v6👍

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Says the guy that changed out the "H" Hyundai logos to Genesis wings on his trunk and wheels. 🤷

Just messing with ya...... it's all good!
The Genesis badge was used around the world on the ‘09-‘16 Genesis, so those of us who added it in the USA were just helping out Hyundai and correcting their oversight. My ‘12 Genesis retains its Hyundai logo on the steering wheel and on the window glass.

By the way, the ‘09-‘16 Genesis was built on the same assembly line as the ‘17-‘20 models. Furthermore, many newer Genesis owners have vehicle registrations that call their Genesis a Hyundai. Oh God, the shame!

Last edited:

Kraig Wilkinson

SUSTAINING MEMBER
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
The Genesis badge was used around the world on the ‘09-‘16 Genesis, so those of us who added it in the USA were just helping out Hyundai and correcting their oversight. My Genesis retains its Hyundai logo on the steering wheel and on the window glass.

By the way, the ‘09-‘16 Genesis was built on the same assembly line as the ‘17-‘20 models. Furthermore, many newer Genesis owners have vehicle registrations that call their Genesis a Hyundai. Oh God, the shame!
Well said. 👍

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums