15in subwoofer install in my 2015 Genesis with the premium 17 speaker system

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I have decided to install a 15in Power Acoustic subwoofer in my Genesis to gain a bit more low end sound. The stock system sounds good to me but the bass response is fairly weak with the stock sub.

I am collecting the items needed for the install such as amp kit, line out adapter, and some tap screws.

I originally was thinking that I had to tap an signal wire from the rear deck subwoofer that requires me to remove the deck deck panel(and rear seat), however I learned that the stock amp is located in trunk behind the trunk liner on the driver side. Therefore, I would only have to tap the wires that send the sound to the stock subwoofer which makes this install much easier than I thought it would be. I would be able to do the entire sub/amp install inside the trunk area since the battery is also located in the trunk as well. The only panel I would need to remove would be the trunk liner/trim panels.

I will only set the amp crossover to send the subwoofer a really low 40hz signal so that it only provides a low end response that I can feel in the driver seat without being "boomy" and overpowering the rest of the sound from the other speakers.

I used this subwoofer in another car(2005 Mercury Montego) in the same fashion to boost the stock premium sound system with weak 6X9 subs in the rear deck. The sound was amazing, clean and solid.

I will do a DIY on the install for anyone else who wants to add a subwoofer to the stock Genesis system.

The sub mounted in my old 2005 Mercury Montego AWD Premium

How the sub looks in my Genesis trunk when I test fitted it.

Last edited:

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I started on the amp install. The parts I needed was:
-Heat gun or blower
-Power drill or nut driver
-Wire strippers and large Crimping tool
-Electrical connectors(heat shrink preferred)
-8 gauge amp power kit that includes 100amp fuse, RCA cable,speaker, and remote wires
-Metal tap screws
-Metal pipe strap for securing the speaker box to the chassis.
-Line out convertor (LOC) with a remote output to turn the amp on and off.
-Wire taps to feed-off the stock amp subwoofer signal output.

The install was fairly simple on the Genesis due to the battery being in the trunk. I only had to remove the trunk trim on the driver side. Once the trim is removed then you will have access to the amp.

Next, before touching the factory amp connectors I recommend removing the 25amp fuse(to prevent damaging shorts) that powers the amp in the fuse box located on the passenger side.

Here is where things can get tricky. I downloaded the incorrect wiring diagram for the non-premium system which has the subwoofer inputs in a different location than in my premium system. Therefore, I tapped into the wrong wires hence my LOC did not provide a remote turn signal from my amp. I mistakenly tapped into two positive(+) speakers leads for a surround speaker and front door speaker instead of the subwoofer leads(- and +).

I used this diagram(non-premium 14 speaker system) by mistake and tapped into these wires. If you have a non-premium sound system than this would be the wires to tap into for the subwoofer output.

The incorrect wires tapped for the premium 17 speaker system; this works for the 14 speaker system

I suggest using heat shrink wrap on the crimped connectors as opposed to using only tape or relying on just the crimp joints.

Heat shrink wrapping my ground cable with a heat blower after crimping the ring connector.

After I connected my components I tested the system out and discovered that my amp would not come on. Today I discovered the wiring mistake I made and will fix it later when I receive some items from Amazon. However, the hard part of the install is over which is mainly my connections. I only have to remove my trunk panels again and then tap into the correct wires on the factory amp.

LOC and amp wired up. The system only needs the power, ground, and proper signal wires installed to complete the install.

]

I removed everything until some 3M tape and small ring connectors(for the LOC ground) arrive to finish up my install.

Last edited:

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Today I finished the subwoofer install and it sounds great. I ended up bypassing the LOC converter signal sensing feature and connected the amp remote power wire to the stock amp accessory power wire and it works perfectly. The Crunch amp turns and off like the stock amp.

I have the Crunch amp turned all the way down so that bass is not overbearing compared to the stock speakers. The sub hits hard and deep without waking up the neighborhood. I tested the sound with a higher setting and it was too loud for easy listening while having my garage sound like an audio installation shop. I actually turn the input amp level to the lowest setting as well as the LOC. The amp crossover is set to 40hz so that it just produce bass that can be felt in the driver seat similar to my home stereo system with a 10in Polk subwoofer. I am happy with the results. The 15in sub really highlights how weak the stock sub is in providing clean sounding bass that can be felt.

My power and ground wires connected.

The LOC connected and secured with 3M tape.

The proper diagram for the 17 speaker premium sound system and the correct wires to tap for remote power and a signal for sound.

Stock amp accessory wire tapped to remote power the aftermarket amp.

The finished product

Last edited:

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Your battery looks like it's mounted improperly. The positive box isn't normally askew like that, check the base of the battery and make sure it's firmly stuffed into the fixed hold downs before tightening the removable one.
Thanks I will check it. I did not notice it was uneven until I look at my picture again. Good eye.:)