'18 G80 Sport Polar Ice - 6 Month Experience

tissle

Getting familiar with the group...
It's been about 6 months since I have owned the car and I want to post my experience so far. Please note that I drive around 15 miles a day and I am not a huge car guy. I just need a car that can get me from point A to point B in style as well has reliability.

• Car
    • MPG is lower than the rated 18 (city) 24 (highway). I drive the car mostly in the highway and I get around 16-17MPG on both normal / eco mode.
    • The tires that come with the car are trash. It should be a safety hazard. I had to get 3 of the tires replaced already. One of them BLEW up while I was driving on a highway going 75MPG.
    • Other than the near death experience - the car it self is fantastic and it meets all my needs. I love the look and I love the comfort and feel when driving it. It was the best bang for the buck.
  • Brand & Experience
    • This is where I experienced the worst service. If you are buying this car for a luxury experience - you won't get it. Keep in mind that most likely you will end up buying the car from a Hyundai dealership and that is the service you will get.
    • I bought my car "used" with 75 miles on it. The dealership said it was a loaner car and thus comes with new car warranties. My first maintenance experience (at 3k miles) was straightforward and they did everything and I was not charged a dime. During the next one - they told me that I don't have any warranty. I even have a call with my sales guy telling me I should have warranty recorded. I escalated the issue with Genesis and it went no one where. I can go more details with this, but I will not bore anyone. At the end of the day - this was not a luxury experience.
    • Brand - my only two issues (minor issues) is that the logo makes it seem like this is a knock-off Bently or Aston Martin and people often think this is a Hyundai Genesis. They did a terrible job of marketing the brand and separate it self from Hyundai.
  • Dealership
    • See above. If you are in Atlanta, Ga - DO NOT USE RICK CASE Hyundai of ROSWELL.

If I would have to do this again - I will have not bought the Genesis. It's a shame. It's a great car but the brand and dealership experience makes me never want to get a Genesis again. I would gone to my 2nd choice Lexus GS. Side note - let me know if anyone wants a G80 Sport POLAR ICE with 6k miles.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
It's been about 6 months since I have owned the car and I want to post my experience so far.
  • Car
    • MPG is lower than the rated 18 (city) 24 (highway). I drive the car mostly in the highway and I get around 16-17MPG on both normal / eco mode.
  • Brand & Experience
    • This is where I experienced the worst service. If you are buying this car for a luxury experience - you won't get it. Keep in mind that most likely you will end up buying the car from a Hyundai dealership and that is the service you will get..
Your experience is similar to others. Hopefully, once the Genesis dealers are up and running you will have a better experience. Right now it is spotty, a few good ones, some mediocre, many just poor. They have to be weeded out. With luck you may find a real Genesis dealer near you to give a better experience.

As for the MPG, around town mine is just as bad. Short trips on a cold engine is not good at all. One the highway with a warm engine you should be seeing mid twenties. What may be killing your average is the couple of miles getting from home to highway at 12 mpg and it takes a while to get the average up. Just for the heck of it, when you get on the highway reset the meter and see if it is greatly improved.

It is a pretty good bang for the buck though.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm at 4 months and 5K miles, my overall average mpg is 19.4, driving about 80% in ECO, I change to Sport on on-ramps and to pass someone on the highway, otherwise it stays in ECO.

for my commute I am exclusively using SCC once I settle into the highway (merge and get into my desired lane). My commute is 31 miles each way, in the morning it is open 70+, but in the evening it is stop an go ~25mph or so, SCC in both cases has been a god-send due to my leg issues.

once thing I have noticed, is the turbo is very picky on type of fuel used. I only use Chevron 91, but I have noticed a major difference in mpg per tank depending on the station I use. One station I saw 15mpg for that tank, I filled at a different station on the next fill and 22mpg was my average for that tank.

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Thanks for your review and write-up. You actually hit on three of the things that are concerning me about the G80 Sport and Genesis in general.

1. Tires although they are highly rated by Consumer Reports and others.
2. Low gas mileage but I guess since my other finalist is almost $20k more I can buy a lot of gas for that.
3. The Genesis Experience. Since my nearest dealer will be about 90 miles away I won't have the valet service available anyways. Will probably just take it to the guy I have been going to locally for almost 20 years.

Still thinking everything through and since they are not licensed to sell in my state, I have some time.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Dealers and experiences change and are varied. I suggest you go to another dealer first. Next what should or could have happened is make is not reality. Should talks about the future and could deals with the past. You can't read the future or change the past. I'm sorry but I don't believe it was a near death experience, as you're still driving the same car. A little over exaggeration, as I see it.

Fuel milage varies also, depending on many factors including; type of fuel, owner use (even in eco), traffic, environment, weather conditions, etc and they're nearly end less.

As for warranty, you have one as long as the dealer did their job and registered/transferred the warranty with the vehicle purchase. Unless, the vehicle was licensed prior to your purchase. Was it? When you buy a used vehicle which is previously licensed, there is no warranty it's bought "as is!" Even after a certain year model and mileage combination, it will revert to a used vehicle and the same "as is" applies. Unless specified by the dealer.

I bought my car "used" with 75 miles on it.

The dealership said it was a loaner car and thus comes with new car warranties.

This sounds like an assumption on your part. Did the dealer specify the warranty was transferred? Keep in mind, you do not get a bumper to bumper warranty with Kia or Hyundai unless you pay for it.

Was it marked as a used car and what year model?

Need these questions answered to a properly assess your critique of what has actually occurred.

Last edited:

tissle

Getting familiar with the group...
Should talks about the future and could deals with the past. You can't read the future or change the past. I'm sorry but I don't believe it was a near death experience, as you're still driving the same car. A little over exaggeration, as I see it.
Why don't you drive 80 miles per hour and have one of your tires blow up and see what happens.....I'm thankful that I was driving on the far right lane so I was able to pull to the aside to slow down. If I was in the middle line one of the other lanes, my situation could have been worse. So yes - it was a near death experience for me. It's not an exaggeration as I'm the one that went through it - not you.

Fuel milage varies also, depending on many factors including; type of fuel, owner use (even in eco), traffic, environment, weather conditions, etc and they're nearly end less.
Thank you for pointing out the obvious.

This sounds like an assumption on your part. Did the dealer specify the warranty was transferred? Keep in mind, you do not get a bumper to bumper warranty with Kia or Hyundai unless you pay for it.
This is my fault. I got taken advantage of from the dealership. They told me this was a used car but with a new car warranty. They told me there were no previous owners other than Genesis Motors of America. When I even bought the car, they showed me all the warranty documentation. However - in my excitement, I didn't realize they never gave me the documentation. It was my first time buying a car and I blindly trusted what I thought was a reputable genesis dealership. That was my fault and I'm fine accepting the blame. Just didn't think that a "reputable genesis" dealership would revert to sleazy used car sales tactics.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Why don't you drive 80 miles per hour and have one of your tires blow up and see what happens.....I'm thankful that I was driving on the far right lane so I was able to pull to the aside to slow down. If I was in the middle line one of the other lanes, my situation could have been worse. So yes - it was a near death experience for me. It's not an exaggeration as I'm the one that went through it - not you.
Everyone experiences things differently. Some handle them calmly like myself with no excitement or panic, others get that panic or excitement, I know my wife and a good buddy would both freak, myself I take things in stride.

I’ve had a blowout of the right front tire traveling in mid triple digits 130+ in a 1978 trans am with no traction control or any technology like LKA or any of that none sense and it was far from a near death experience, tire blew and shredded and I was on the wheel within seconds. Different experiences for different people. My passenger literally pooped myself.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Thank you for pointing out the obvious.

This is my fault. I got taken advantage of from the dealership. They told me this was a used car but with a new car warranty. They told me there were no previous owners other than Genesis Motors of America. When I even bought the car, they showed me all the warranty documentation. However - in my excitement, I didn't realize they never gave me the documentation. It was my first time buying a car and I blindly trusted what I thought was a reputable genesis dealership. That was my fault and I'm fine accepting the blame. Just didn't think that a "reputable genesis" dealership would revert to sleazy used car sales tactics.
No it's not your fault, we all make mistakes or have learning experiences, as I like to say and believe. The dealer is responsible for registering the warranty with the vehicle purchase. This is something you need to take care of if you haven't. I'm sorry they didn't follow thru but they still have an obligation to honor the purchase and warranty for you. Don't stop with your insistence or follow-up regarding the warranty. If necessary, seek legal assistance, you are entitled to the warranty. Make Rick Case aware that you are considering legal action. Things change very quickly when the legal side of the house is involved. They generally don't want the negative publicity, especially large Automotive Groups, like Rick Case as they sell on volume and a lost sale due to bad publicity hurts them worse. They started in Akron, Ohio in 1962. I was born and raised there and happen to know a few people I grew up with.

Yes, I've had blowouts at higher track speeds, on the road and in all sorts of vehicles, motorcycles and including 18 wheelers. Yes, it was obvious but some owners are just not aware. I detected a bit of sarcasm but that's ok. I wasn't being intentionally sarcastic, deliberately demeaning, mean or condescending either. I'm attempting to assist you and I'll do what I can do for you. So it's important that you provide all the information I asked you for.

I'd suggest you talk to the actual owner of the business thru; Rick Case Automotive Group; Rick Case Automotive Group - Car Dealerships in South Florida, Atlanta & Cleveland & communityrelations@rickcase.com & rickcaseads@rickcase.com But first set up an appointment to talk to the Dealership Manager, the salesman and financier all together. Explain the circumstances and insist they honor the warranty, as it was offered and purchased. If they baulk, let them know you're going to contact the Automotive Group and which ever attorney you choose and drop the name below. It will get there attention. Go in with your guns loaded, don't take "no," for an answer. Be insistent but not demanding. Then contact;

Stan Bostic
National Director of Communications and VIP Program
Rick Case Automotive Group
Direct: 954-622-1719
Cell: 954-560-7905
sbostic@rickcase.com

Let him know the circumstances and what occurred. Just don't give up, it's your warranty and your car, I'm sure you'lll do just fine!!!

Give me a shout if you have no joy with them. I know someone else who might be able to help in Ohio. Either way, let me know what happens.

Cheers

Last edited:

g_342678

Everyone experiences things differently. Some handle them calmly like myself with no excitement or panic, others get that panic or excitement, I know my wife and a good buddy would both freak, myself I take things in stride.

I’ve had a blowout of the right front tire traveling in mid triple digits 130+ in a 1978 trans am with no traction control or any technology like LKA or any of that none sense and it was far from a near death experience, tire blew and shredded and I was on the wheel within seconds. Different experiences for different people. My passenger literally pooped myself.
You just took me back in time! My first car ever was a 1978 Trans Am 6.6 shaker oldsmobile 403 motor with WS6 package. Gosh I miss that car. Selling it was the biggest mistake as I see what they are selling for in prime shape, all original with low miles today. Sold it with less than 12k miles on the odo for $2400. If I kept it and didn’t drive it looking at $80k plus today.

chadpounder

Hasn't posted much yet...
Had a great valet experience with Larry Miller Hyundai/Genesis in the Phoenix area. Dropped off a brand new G90 as my loaner while they took mine in for maintenance. Smooth process.

orion007

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
You have to understand that the gas mileage listed in the sticker is with gas with no ethanol in it. Go find a station that is ethanol free and put premium in it and I guarantee that your gas mileage will go up. Blame the politicians for putting crappy corn in our gas.

3rdgen

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I had a great experience- Northtown Hyundai Williamsville NY (soon to also be Northtown Genesis), they picked up my car and left me a new G80 loaner, did all required services for 6k miles then returned my car to me at a different location- I was extremely pleased with the professionalism and the luxury experience. (I had 4 Lexus' to compare service experience to)

1. Tires- I have had my G80 sport at 130 mph+ no issues but I will replace them with more aggressive tires when time comes, these are a bit soft when entering a high speed ramp.
2. I have left my computer on average since mile 1 and at 8200 miles getting 22.9MPG average- about 50-50 city highway.

Nitpicks:
1. No manual shift mode, if I down shift and want to hold a lower gear the car always decides to shift back to D after about 20 seconds- this is a sport model? I can't believe I overlooked this at purchase time.
2. Drive mode always defaults to normal I drive 90% of the time in sport I shouldn't have to change the setting every time I get in the car.

Overall I am pretty happy with this purchase, the value is unbeatable- nothing even close for the $.

G-831488

It's been about 6 months since I have owned the car and I want to post my experience so far. Please note that I drive around 15 miles a day and I am not a huge car guy. I just need a car that can get me from point A to point B in style as well has reliability.

• Car
    • The tires that come with the car are trash. It should be a safety hazard. I had to get 3 of the tires replaced already. One of them BLEW up while I was driving on a highway going 75MPG.
    • Other than the near death experience - the car it self is fantastic and it meets all my needs. I love the look and I love the comfort and feel when driving it. It was the best bang for the buck.
  • Brand & Experience
    • This is where I experienced the worst service. If you are buying this car for a luxury experience - you won't get it. Keep in mind that most likely you will end up buying the car from a Hyundai dealership and that is the service you will get.
    • I bought my car "used" with 75 miles on it. The dealership said it was a loaner car and thus comes with new car warranties. My first maintenance experience (at 3k miles) was straightforward and they did everything and I was not charged a dime. During the next one - they told me that I don't have any warranty. I even have a call with my sales guy telling me I should have warranty recorded. I escalated the issue with Genesis and it went no one where. I can go more details with this, but I will not bore anyone. At the end of the day - this was not a luxury experience.
    • Brand - my only two issues (minor issues) is that the logo makes it seem like this is a knock-off Bently or Aston Martin and people often think this is a Hyundai Genesis. They did a terrible job of marketing the brand and separate it self from Hyundai.
  • Dealership
    • See above. If you are in Atlanta, Ga - DO NOT USE RICK CASE Hyundai of ROSWELL.
If I would have to do this again - I will have not bought the Genesis. It's a shame. It's a great car but the brand and dealership experience makes me never want to get a Genesis again. I would gone to my 2nd choice Lexus GS. Side note - let me know if anyone wants a G80 Sport POLAR ICE with 6k miles.
Price for the g80? Frank dickens 469-602-3630

OscarGambleNYY

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
My first four months with my '19 G80 Sport (Polar Ice)

No regrets. Car runs great. Super comfortable. The color is phenomenal. You look real close and the paint almost looks a little cloudy or patchy, but that's just my OCD. I think it would look outrageous with a matte film protection but I can't pull the trigger on that. Body doesn't show dirt much at all ... except for the grill which shows every raindrop. So I keep it polished regularly. I'm in NJ and am refusing to put a plate on the front, the grill just looks too nice without it. It's a lot of fun to drive and I have no complaints, just some tiny nitpicks:

1. Darn cupholder just holds one can of soda at a time.

2. The wiper leaves too much windshield unprotected, so it shows a lot of dirt, including driver side where the blade doesn't reach the side.

3. Sirius traffic goes in and out. Sirius said its a problem with the car, I let it ride because I use CarPlay

4. You all have me worrying that my tires are going to explode!

2300 miles in and loved every one of them.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My first four months with my '19 G80 Sport (Polar Ice)

No regrets. Car runs great. Super comfortable. The color is phenomenal. You look real close and the paint almost looks a little cloudy or patchy, but that's just my OCD. I think it would look outrageous with a matte film protection but I can't pull the trigger on that. Body doesn't show dirt much at all ... except for the grill which shows every raindrop. So I keep it polished regularly. I'm in NJ and am refusing to put a plate on the front, the grill just looks too nice without it. It's a lot of fun to drive and I have no complaints, just some tiny nitpicks:

1. Darn cupholder just holds one can of soda at a time.

2. The wiper leaves too much windshield unprotected, so it shows a lot of dirt, including driver side where the blade doesn't reach the side.

3. Sirius traffic goes in and out. Sirius said its a problem with the car, I let it ride because I use CarPlay

4. You all have me worrying that my tires are going to explode!

2300 miles in and loved every one of them.
If the Sirius issue is a problem with the car, then every Hyundai and Genesis ever produced is defective..

Sirius traffic has not worked consistently for me since my free radio subscription expired, I've called Sirius and had them reset the their module several times and still have the issue, I have talked to no less than 30 people with 2015-2018 Genesis', G80s, G90s, and several Hyundai owners, (santa fe's, elantras, and velosters) and 2 dealerships that have all told me that it is an ongoing problem with many Hyundai and Genesis models, and there are multiple threads with people here having the same issue.

The problem is most definitely SiriusXM, because as soon as you re-subscribe to the radio service, it all magically works again.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Sorry, I’m a bit confused (easy for me). So if you don’t resubscribe, what doesn’t work that should ?
the data services:

for the G80 the Sirius Data Services are free for 3 years, Traffic updates, Weather, Stocks, Local Gas Station search with pricing, Sport Team Scores and Updates.

The radio part is only free for 3 months. the Data Service for 3 years, and are 2 separate items in the Radio, but they use the same chipset and antenna from Sirius.

my data services went out, no traffic updates, says "no signal" on the data services screen, called Sirius and troubleshooted with them, then went through a whole process with me that took over 30 minutes and the data services came back for about 2 hours, then failed again.

Called them back, and they told me it was a problem with my unit, I told the lady she was full of $hit and told her to sign me up for the radio services and I would guaranty it would then work, she signed me up, and sure enough within 3 minutes everything worked again.

I cancelled the service the next day and guess what, the data services all stopped working, even though on the data services screen under the "my subscribed services" menu item it shows that I am currently subscribed to the data services and my expiration date is 6-20-2021.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.