19" Genesis Rims - Different Tire Sizes?

KurticusRex

Registered Member
Genesis G70
If this has already been posted, I missed it, please direct me to another thread if applicable.

Two questions I can't seem find a clear answer to:

1. On the 3.3T, does the standard trim come with 18" rims and the upgraded 3.3T trims come with 19" (10 spoke or the Sport)? I understand the G70 18" rims to be a square setup (all 4 tires are 18-inch alloy wheels (P225/45R18) with Michelin® all-season tires).

2. The 19" rims are staggered wheel size: Front: P225 / 40 R19, Rear: P255 / 35 R19. I understand this means the REAR tires have a narrower sidewall profile (35 Rear vs 40 front) but are wider track (255 rear width vs. 225 front). Is this correct? If so, does it seem odd that the rear tires on an AWD vehicle have a skinnier profile than the front? I don't get how this makes sense.

I could totally be missing something, but I just noticed this profile difference and would like to know if my understanding is correct and why Genesis has a different sidewall profile on a staggered AWD vehicle. Please, give me knowledge.

TIA.

Throat Yogurt

6MT Mafia
SUPPORTING MEMBER
I'm right here.
Genesis G70

KurticusRex

Registered Member
Genesis G70
Actually the front and rear tires on the 19" wheels have almost exactly the same sidewall height. The problem is that you are mis-understanding the tire sizes. The 40 on a 225/40 R19 is an aspect ratio...the ratio of the tire width to sidewall height. So because the rear tires are 255 mm wide, they require a smaller aspect ratio (35) to have the same sidewall height as the fronts.
Aspect ratio. Ratio? RATIO! Of course that is so freaking logical I'm pissed I didn't figure it out on my own. Makes perfect sense.

TYVM, Sir Yogurt.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis G70
Front: P225 / 40 R19, tire height 90mm
Rear: P255 / 35 R19. tire height 89.25mm

Savile Silver 2.0T

Genesis G70
90/225 = 0.40
89.25/255 = 0.35

It's like magic!
Ok Thank you,
I got the ratio explanation, now I have a question; can I change the tires on my G70 to be all 4 cornea the same size without changing the wheels? I really like the 19” wheels, but when the summer tires were out, I would like to look for all wether tires with the same size, so they can be rotated and get more miles out of those. I don’t really think that I need the extra performance of the summer tires. I never push my car to the limits anyway.

KjG70

Genesis G70
Ok Thank you,
I got the ratio explanation, now I have a question; can I change the tires on my G70 to be all 4 cornea the same size without changing the wheels? I really like the 19” wheels, but when the summer tires were out, I would like to look for all wether tires with the same size, so they can be rotated and get more miles out of those. I don’t really think that I need the extra performance of the summer tires. I never push my car to the limits anyway.
Did anyone answer your question on getting same size tires on (19) all around

Savile Silver 2.0T

Genesis G70
Did anyone answer your question on getting same size tires on (19) all around
Not yet,
hopefully someone will. I also learned that the wheels are not the same. Back are 8,5 wide and front are 8, so I may need to change wheels

BadTrainDriver

Registered Member
Powell, OH
Genesis G70
Not yet,
hopefully someone will. I also learned that the wheels are not the same. Back are 8,5 wide and front are 8, so I may need to change wheels
235/40R19 is what you want, if you don't want to run staggered tires. They are the closest match in size, yet ever so slightly taller. They will work fine for an 8" to 9.5" wheel. Take a look at the Bridgestone TURANZA QUIETTRACK on Tire Rack. It's the latest grand touring all season V rated tire.

BadTrainDriver

Registered Member
Powell, OH
Genesis G70
I should have added: yes, you will need to change wheels if you want to do a conventional front to rear tire rotation. I wonder if the front wheels would work on the rear? You could test fit that way, then just buy two front wheels, and run the 19X8 all around.

Scotty Bs

No Genesis Yet!
If you have the 10 spoke rims and are looking to sell them, I'd be interested. Let me know!

alape8

No Genesis Yet!
Front wheels will probably fit on the rear, but the rear wheels definitely do NOT fit on the front if anyone was curious. Definitely need a lower offset than 46. I had the front off yesterday for replacement and for the heck of it, I tried putting the rear wheel on the front. The spoke hits the brake caliper and the inner lip of the wheel and tire contact the dampers.

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis G80 Sport

Savile Silver 2.0T

Genesis G70
I should have added: yes, you will need to change wheels if you want to do a conventional front to rear tire rotation. I wonder if the front wheels would work on the rear? You could test fit that way, then just buy two front wheels, and run the 19X8 all around.
Yes, that sound like a plan. I already saw on eBay some front wheels for sale.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums