1st Service & Recall at same time - Bad Experience

harwax

Registered Member
Hi All,

I just bought my 2015 3.8 Tech V6 in for first service (basically oil change) and for the 3 recalls ( Cowl cover, water -tail lights & dummy housing harness cover for under front seat electric wiring) & read on this website about asking for a reflash of the head unit. I called in advance and made appointment to have all taken care of at the same time.

I go to pick up car at end of day and none of the recalls were addressed because they had to order the parts. I said that's why I called in advance. Service manager said they have to first inspect car before they could order recall part. I said, I called in advance and it's a recall, you have my vin number, so you should have parts) in stock before I come in. Hyundai said no, it is company policy to inspect car first, before they order parts, I said don't you keep any of these parts in stock. I said that means I have to come in twice before I can get any recall or other work done. They said - yes - Hyundai policy.

Adding insult to injury, dealer put 22 miles on car, I asked why, they said I asked them to check out radio & navigation system and drove the 22 miles to find satellites. I live 40 minutes from NYC on Long Island in a populated area.

Did my blood pressure rise because my thinking is off, or does dealer owe me a free physical?

Thanks for feedback

jarred52

Registered Member
I think you need to find another dealership. There's got to be several in your area. Why not ask the board members to recommend ones that they have had good experiences. Also, I would call the Hyundai customer care. 877-378-8727.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
When you make an appointment for a recall or TSB, you have to specifically ask them to check if the parts are in stock. The people who schedule appointments don't take the time to check parts inventory when an appointment is booked. I know that sounds stupid, but that's just they way they work. If you knew how little those employees are paid, you would understand why that is typically the case.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I think in times like this the dealer should be called out.

harwax

Registered Member
When you make an appointment for a recall or TSB, you have to specifically ask them to check if the parts are in stock. The people who schedule appointments don't take the time to check parts inventory when an appointment is booked. I know that sounds stupid, but that's just they way they work. If you knew how little those employees are paid, you would understand why that is typically the case.
The dealership should inform schedule person to see if items are in stock. Customer is being misled if he makes an appointment and specifically tells dealer why he is coming in. No reason to have customer go around in circles.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
The dealership should inform schedule person to see if items are in stock. Customer is being misled if he makes an appointment and specifically tells dealer why he is coming in. No reason to have customer go around in circles.
Yes, they should. But it is clear that from complaints like this from other members, many dealers don't do it. If I am going to the trouble of taking my car in for a recall or TSB, I take it upon myself to make sure the parts are in stock, because saying the "the dealer should do it" doesn't help me.

At no time did I ever say the dealer shouldn't do it. I said they usually don't do it.

wasnt

Registered Member
Central Virginia
Agree. The 2 dealerships I've gone to, ordered the parts when I scheduled the appointment. They were there when I need them.

Sorry to say it, but this was my biggest fear with buying a high dollar Hyundai. They still cater to the Hyundai crowd. It sounds uppity, I know, but when you spend a lot on a car you'd expect better service. You just don't get it.

I've had my own issues with Hyundai service...

harwax

Registered Member
Yes, they should. But it is clear that from complaints like this from other members, many dealers don't do it. If I am going to the trouble of taking my car in for a recall or TSB, I take it upon myself to make sure the parts are in stock, because saying the "the dealer should do it" doesn't help me.

At no time did I ever say the dealer shouldn't do it. I said they usually don't do it.
Common sense says I shouldn't have to make sure a part is in stock, dealer should tell me, he will call me when part is in stock (if not on self). I think I also mentioned service manager said it is Hyundai policy to have car come in for an inspection before they order the specific part for a known recall (dealer never mention the inspection "visit" before being able to order part). So I would have to make 2 visits to get job done. Am I crazy in getting a little upset?

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Common sense says I shouldn't have to make sure a part is in stock, dealer should tell me, he will call me when part is in stock (if not on self). I think I also mentioned service manager said it is Hyundai policy to have car come in for an inspection before they order the specific part for a known recall (dealer never mention the inspection "visit" before being able to order part). So I would have to make 2 visits to get job done. Am I crazy in getting a little upset?
Why are you blaming me? Hyundai service is not very good on average, and sometimes stinks. What do you want me to do about it?

Can't you understand what I said? If the dealer is not going to check inventory when I make an appointment, then what good does it do to drive the dealership, leave my car, pick it up, and find out that the service was not done because the part is not stock? I can bitch and moan on a forum about it, but I still wasted a day leaving my car at the dealer and not getting it fixed, and I still have to come back later.

greekgeek

Registered Member
When I brought my car in for the same service, parts inventory was checked for me at the counter, not during my online appt. Scheduling. I made sure to get a written copy of the scope of work to be performed before leaving.

I have to say your dealer does not seem customer focused at all, could have at least apologized and offered to check ahead next time. How hard would that have been?

harwax

Registered Member
Why are you blaming me? Hyundai service is not very good on average, and sometimes stinks. What do you want me to do about it?

Can't you understand what I said? If the dealer is not going to check inventory when I make an appointment, then what good does it do to drive the dealership, leave my car, pick it up, and find out that the service was not done because the part is not stock? I can bitch and moan on a forum about it, but I still wasted a day leaving my car at the dealer and not getting it fixed, and I still have to come back later.
Hi Mark,

I wasn't blaming you, I m glad you are in the dialogue. Dealer should check inventory when I make an appointment - that should be part of the checklist when appointment for a specific reason is made. I respect your input.

Analog

Registered Member
My damn dealer, I'm not buying another Hyundai despite how much I love my current (and previous) Genesis. I made sure they had the part reserved to me and they confirmed they did prior to dropping off my car.

What did they actually mean? That they had it in stock. One of them, to be precise. I dropped my car off using the night drop and they somehow forgot to check the night drop until 3:40pm.

So they promise me they'll get on it and have it ready to go the next morning. Only it turns out the recall part was used on another vehicle... yesterday afternoon. After my morning appointment.

Between that and the colossal and continual screwups on other matters I'm beginning to be the fool for thinking they'll change. Wish I had the option of other Hyundai dealers!

Rogerf

Registered Member
I made my appointment for the re-calls plus the first oil change some 3 weeks in advance. All parts and new tires were on hand plus I got 2015 3.8 loaner to use while mine was being serviced. Took it in at 9:00 a.m. and picked it up, with the car washed, at 4:00 p.m. Nothing bad here!

roblaw

Getting familiar with the group...
Pennsylvania
Yes, you need another dealer, clearly. You deserve better. I have a 2012 so any recalls were likely not parts related so I have had no issues. However, my experience has been much better. I am confident that had I called ahead and specifically told my dealer (Conicelli in Conshohocken, PA) that I wanted recall work done, they would have had the parts there and they always arrange for a car for me. It is usually not a Genesis but something perfectly acceptable to drive for a day or two. So the dealer you had simply does not make customer service or convenience a high priority.

That being said, as much as my Hyundai dealer is great, the Mercedes dealer for my wife's car always does pick up and drop off and gives us an MB loaner (same for previous Lexus). So luxury car service is a little nicer. However, how many times per year do most of us with newer cars go to the dealer? Probably not that many. So it comes down to the occasional minor inconvenience vs. the slightly more upscale vehicle and nicer service in exchange for $100-200 more per month. The choice is yours.

harwax

Registered Member
I made my appointment for the re-calls plus the first oil change some 3 weeks in advance. All parts and new tires were on hand plus I got 2015 3.8 loaner to use while mine was being serviced. Took it in at 9:00 a.m. and picked it up, with the car washed, at 4:00 p.m. Nothing bad here!
That's the kind of experience I thought should happen to every customer, it's only common sense. Still don't understand why dealer said I first had to bring car in for inspection, before he would order "recall" parts and didn't first tell me that little detail when I called to make initial recall appointment.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
That's the kind of experience I thought should happen to every customer, it's only common sense. Still don't understand why dealer said I first had to bring car in for inspection, before he would order "recall" parts and didn't first tell me that little detail when I called to make initial recall appointment.
  1. You don't really know for certain if Rogerf's dealer actually checked inventory ahead of time or just happened to have the parts in stock when the service was performed.
  2. Your dealer service advisor lied to cover up their mistake. If a mandatory TSB or recall is in place, they don't have to inspect your car to order the parts. It is true that some TSB's are not mandatory and they don't replace parts unless there is a problem, but I don't believe that applied to your situation.
I don't understand why you are not able to realize that someone lied. Lot's of people lie to cover up mistakes or other things they don't want you to know, especially in the automobile business.

Midnightsun

Been here awhile...
Montreal, Canada
Here is how my appointment I made last week went. I asked to bring the car in for several tsb/recalls. I was told there was only 1. I asked him to look again as I knew there were at least 3 excluding the tires which I do NOT want done now. He double checked and then acknowledged there were 3. :rolleyes: i ask him if all parts are in stock and if not, order them. He tells me he needs to see the vehicle first. :rolleyes: I got a little irritated and said so in other words you want me to bring this in several times for some silly little TSB which wastes my valuable time? He puts me on hold for 5 mins and then says all parts are in stock except for 1 which is backordered and I have a date of next Thursday. The he asks me if I have had the brake oil flushed lately? I did not want to even touch that one so I simply said yes I did, LOL. Normally they are all over me to have a wheel alignment done and flush the cooling system also. This is my 4th Hyundai at this dealership, I buy them there because they are in my backyard but get oil changes done at a local independent shop. My dealer simply sucks.