• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

20" square set up for 2015 3.8

AggieAloha

Hasn't posted much yet...
Dallas, TX
Apologies if this has been discussed - I spent the past hour searching the forums and couldn't find any topic with the same set up I'm looking to do. Just bought some used 20" niche M158 rims for my car (8.5 - square set up; 35mm offset). Most others have a staggered set up, but I prefer to keep it squared for rotation and warranty purposes. I can't lower my car due to my steep driveway (dropped my previous Lexus before and it was painful backing uphill), but would like to fill the wheel well gap by having thicker walls. I also value ride comfort over the rubberband look. Any thoughts on tire size? They currently have Pzeros 245/45r20s that are worn out and need replacing(debating between dws06 and as3+). I haven't fitted it on the car yet to see if it will work (on vacation in Hawaii, but can't wait to get home to get the rims situated), but thought I would take to the forums to get some insight from those who might have tried this approach before. What tire fitment has worked best for a square set up that fills the well without rubbing?

Again sorry if this has been addressed - if you have a link to the thread that talks about a 20" square set up, I'd appreciate it.

Mahalo in advance!

GMonee16

Registered Member
Honolulu, HI
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
You should be fine running those specs. I am running 20x9 +32 in the front and 20x10 +40 in the rear and have no issues even with the car being lowered. Would send lic but car is on it's way to the Aloha State at the moment.

AggieAloha

Dallas, TX
Those specs 20x8.5 et35 all around are fine, the proper size of tires should be 245/35/20
Thanks for the response. By proper, do you mean to keep a similar diameter to maintain the accuracy of the speedometer, or to properly fit the wheel well? What would be the consequences of 245/45?

AggieAloha

Dallas, TX
You should be fine running those specs. I am running 20x9 +32 in the front and 20x10 +40 in the rear and have no issues even with the car being lowered. Would send lic but car is on it's way to the Aloha State at the moment.
Thanks Gmonee- I am pretty confident in the wheel spec - just trying to figure out right tire that will provide ride comfort, fill the wheel well but not look odd. The Genesis is a big body car - never seen a car make 18s look tiny the way it does - that's why I had to go 20s. 19s still look small to me.

Hope your car enjoys Hawaii. I don't see a lot of Genesis there, so I'm sure it stand out nicely.

AggieAloha

Dallas, TX
Quick update. Landed home today - had to try to swap out the tires. Of course the hub rings were the wrong size and the stock lug nuts's washer are too wide for the Tim's lug opening. Ordered both - so still have time to figure out this tire sizing.

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

AggieAloha

Dallas, TX
Fills the wheel well nicely, but front does rub the inner well... IMG_20190907_195808.jpgIMG_20190907_195749.jpgIMG_20190907_195846.jpgIMG_20190907_195833.jpg

AggieAloha

Dallas, TX
What size tires did you decide?
The ones in the picture were the 245/45r20 that came with the wheels. Going with 245/35r20. Continental DWS06. Ordered refurbed factory tpms to complete the set up. Hopefully will have everything installed by next weekend. Thanks for all the input. Will post pics when it is all done.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums