2009 – 2011 Genesis Sedan - 2012+ complete suspension conversion

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
I have completed my suspension conversion successfully yesterday. The install was pretty straight forward and I didn't run into any issues whatsoever. I had a friend who is a former mechanic do the install while I helped out a little bit. He has air tools and he was so quick at this job, that I pretty much would have been in the way. Started the job at around 0745 and finished the job at 1130, and this included a couple of beer breaks:D If you plan to do this yourself you will need a spring compressor for the front springs only. I rented one at O'Reilly's for $53, and I received a credit of $53 when I returned it. The rear springs are cake. We just lowered the lower control arm (once disconnected) and the spring falls right out and we slapped in the new one. There is no need to be in the trunk for the rear shocks since they unbolt from from the wheel well. As a warning, please double check your part numbers in case of any errors in what I have listed. I purchased my parts at http://www.hyundaipartsaccessories.com/ since they were the cheapest price I found at the time, which included free shipping if you spend over $200. The coupon code for free shipping is "FREE" The actual dealership name is Camelback Hyundai out of Phoenix, AZ at 2223 W. Camelbak Road. Parts direct 1-877-311-1130.

Now, how does this suspension feel? Well let me start by saying that as I was installing these parts I was pretty damn scared that the result would be a ride that I could not tell ANY difference vs. my 2009 stock suspension. I'm pleased to tell you that I noticed a ride quality improvement right away...just as when I drove EXBMWGUY's R Spec last fall. I'm very happy with the results. The rear of the car is now very planted and doesn't feel unsettled a bit. No more hoppy feeling in the rear of the car anymore. For me...this upgrade is worth every penny.

Here's the details-

Parts needed:

4 springs - 2 front struts - 2 rear shocks - 1 rear sway bar

I won't mention much about the rear sway bar in this thread since I posted a thread about this a while back. Refer to that thread here

Front springs have 3 different options:

54650-3M915 Coil Spring, Front w/EPS w/sport susp This is the R Spec, which is what I installed.

54650-3M805 Coil Spring, Front w/EPS w/o sport susp Guessing 5.0L Non R Spec

54650-3M705 Coil Spring, Front w/o EPS This would be for a 3.8 sedan without the Electric Power Steering.

Rear springs are same for all 5.0L models and part number is: 55350-3M910

Front R Spec struts-

54611-3M910 Suspension Strut, Left w/EPS w/sport susp

54621-3M910 Suspension Strut, Right w/EPS w/sport susp

If you are more interested in the BEST possible comfort, then the NON R Spec struts are:

54611-3M902 Suspension Strut, Left w/EPS w/o sport susp

54621-3M902 Suspension Strut, Right w/EPS w/o sport susp

Rear shocks

Rear shocks are 55310-3M910 for the 5.0L R Spec

55310-3M901 for the 5.0L NON R Spec

There is no price difference between these shocks

Rear Sway Bar -

55510-3M600 Suspension Stabilizer Bar, Rear, all 2012 models use this part number. Make sure to find out if the bar comes with the bushings and brackets!!!!!!!!! When I ordered this from my dealer, it was a direct plug n play and the bushings and brackets were already attached to the bar as 1 part, but I suspect ordering this online you will need the bushings and brackets:

55513-3N100 Suspension Stabilizer Bar Bushing, Rear X2

555143M200 Suspension Stabilizer Bar Bracket, Rear X2

The cost for the 2 struts and 2 shocks was $612 including shipping.

The price I paid for the sway bar including brackets and bushings at my dealer was $145. I suspect you could find a better price online from what I paid.

The price for the springs is about $300 including shipping depending on where you purchase the parts from. I purchased my spring from a forum member for $130 including shipping. I suggest finding a member with a 2012+ Genesis that put in coil-overs and inquiring if they will sell their 2012 springs to you. You might find springs on Ebay also.

The cost for ALL parts including the rear sway bar would be around $1,000. My dealership quoted me $612 to install everything listed above except the rear sway bar since I already did this prior. I think this is a fair price IMO. $382 for the front parts and $238 for the rear parts. If you were to buy all of these parts and have the dealership install the parts at the labor quote my dealer gave, you would spend around $1,600 without any taxes or if any "shop fees" apply. I spent about $800 on everything including rear sway bar.

Last edited:

genesis 45

Getting familiar with the group...
Hi there do you have part numbers for the rear springs and rear shocks..............the non sport items for best comfort?.......thx and do you think changing the rear springs and shocks only will improve the ride in the back ?

genesis 45

Sorry i read you post closer and saw the spring numbers....i did not see the rear shock number.....do you know if the read shocks are different from the 2010-2011 models? Thx for help....

genesis 45

Jfi i checked the rear shock part number and it is the same as the 2010 2011 part number as the 2012 non r spec genesis..so possibly they just softened the springs in the rear ??

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
Jfi i checked the rear shock part number and it is the same as the 2010 2011 part number as the 2012 non r spec genesis..so possibly they just softened the springs in the rear ??

The rear shock number is not the same part number. The numbers are close though. A 2011 4.6 uses a 55310-3M901 and a 2012 R Spec uses a 55310-3M910

so just out of curiosity - do you intend to have the thing re-aligned now that you've got the stuff replaced?

I'm not sure yet. Some mechanics say an alignment is necessary and some do not. My friend stated that we didn't mess with any parts which would change or effect the alignment. I'll drive the car more and see how it tracks. If it still tracks straight like it does now, then I'm not going to get an alignment done.

Hi there do you have part numbers for the rear springs and rear shocks..............the non sport items for best comfort?.......thx and do you think changing the rear springs and shocks only will improve the ride in the back ?

I have updated my original post to reflect this info. I would recommend replaces all 4 springs and shocks/struts since the suspension was calibrated to work together.

FastDEW1

Been here awhile...
Can you provide some feedback if possible as to how the car feels different? Some explanation of stiffness, bounce, harshness, etc.,?

I can drive a 2012 and compare. But you are the only one I'm aware of that has been driving YOUR car and then changed YOUR suspension. So the most direct comparison seems just that. Your car :)

Thanks. I know it's all subjective. But curious as to how you see, or rather, feel it.

Vince2

Registered Member
Great job Scottdk! Since I bought a 2012 I wont be applying any changes to my car but it is really interesting to read about your mods. Thanks.

It's amazing that there is so little aftermarket support for our cars. I suppose that the lack of aftermarket support is due to the low volume of Genesis vehicles on the road. With just a little suspension tweaking the pre 2015 sedans could be really superb cars.

Last edited:

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
Can you provide some feedback if possible as to how the car feels different? Some explanation of stiffness, bounce, harshness, etc.,?

I can drive a 2012 and compare. But you are the only one I'm aware of that has been driving YOUR car and then changed YOUR suspension. So the most direct comparison seems just that. Your car :)

Thanks. I know it's all subjective. But curious as to how you see, or rather, feel it.

I noticed my original suspension was harsh and unsettled in less than ideal road conditions. I also noticed that while turning the vehicle (at normal speeds) the rear of the car jumped around a bit if there was any bumps or changes in road such as switching from tar to concrete when the 2 different road surfaces were not quite level. The 2012 suspension has made the rear end of the Genesis more planted. By making the rear of the vehicle more stable over bumps, the ride quality has improved since the car isn't hopping around. I'm not great at explaining this experience IMO, which is why it would be easier for a current 2009 - 2011 Genesis owner to test drive a 2012+ Genesis to experience the difference between the previous (2009 - 2011) suspension.

FastDEW1

Been here awhile...
I noticed my original suspension was harsh and unsettled in less than ideal road conditions. I also noticed that while turning the vehicle (at normal speeds) the rear of the car jumped around a bit if there was any bumps or changes in road such as switching from tar to concrete when the 2 different road surfaces were not quite level. The 2012 suspension has made the rear end of the Genesis more planted. By making the rear of the vehicle more stable over bumps, the ride quality has improved since the car isn't hopping around. I'm not great at explaining this experience IMO, which is why it would be easier for a current 2009 - 2011 Genesis owner to test drive a 2012+ Genesis to experience the difference between the previous (2009 - 2011) suspension.

Thank you. This is helpful.

For me, what I really want is a softer ride with less bounce. Can you say if it is substantially softer?

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota

Oops!!!! Genesis 45 I overlooked your post when I responded previously.

You are CORRECT - The rear shock part number is the same for the 2011 and 2012 5.0 NON R Spec. Sorry about that, I read it incorrectly as the R Spec, which is not what you were referring to.

The part number for the 2011 rear spring is 55350-3M400 and the part number for the 2012 5.0 rear spring is 55350-3M910. It appears that the R Spec and Non R Spec use the same part number for rear spring. The part number for the 2012 4.6 rear spring is 55350-3M900 and for the 2012 3.8 is 55350-3M800.

You might be right about only the rear spring in the 2012 model being softer vs. the 2011. Rear shocks appear to be the same as the Non R Spec.

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
Thank you. This is helpful.

For me, what I really want is a softer ride with less bounce. Can you say if it is substantially softer?

Hmmmmm - I think the ride is more comfortable due to the new parts reducing the bounce, so it nails that part fine.......As for softer, I would say that it "feels" softer because the rear end isn't bouncing around anymore.

I guess softer depends on what other cars you are used to driving. I have a 2003 Outback H6 with 142,300 miles and it rides hard like a tank (vary harsh) compared to my Genesis, even before I changed the suspension out:eek:

genesis 45

Mark as you know i was the first member to upgrade my old 2009 suspension to the 2010..........there was an improvement, but the rear end still bothered me...........i have ordered the 2012 rear springs to see if this makes further improvement. I also put in some of those rigid collars and they really do tighten up the whole feeling of the car..........i think those 2012 springs are probably much softer and i hope it further improves the ride........i will post results........this will be for the 4.6 and not the r spec as scottdk did............since i decided to keep the car a few more yrs the $180.00 for the springs and 95.00 for the collars was well worth it................later

MADDMOE

Registered Member
NY NY
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Well this is the post ive been waiting for , thank you sir will be ordering all of these parts for the r-spec, plus probably new rotors, pads & tires

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
so just out of curiosity - do you intend to have the thing re-aligned now that you've got the stuff replaced?

My car was pulling to the right pretty hard, so I just had an alignment today which corrected this.

genesis 45

I installed the 2012 rear springs on my 2009 4.6..............much better in the rear.....not so harsh with the bump impacts and that drop off feeling from sharp bumbs is gone...........well worth the $180.00..............................later

MADDMOE

Registered Member
NY NY
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Well time to think about should I do wheels or not but as soon as I return from my motorcycle convention in Tulsa Ok on sunday ill decide

Attachments

• 20140728_173031.jpg
    20140728_173031.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 203

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
Well time to think about should I do wheels or not but as soon as I return from my motorcycle convention in Tulsa Ok on sunday ill decide

Moe, what did you end up buying for the rotors? Stoptech etc.?

I'm happy with my R Spec wheels and I suspect you would be also.:cool:

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums