2009 Genesis 4.6 125K owned 1y6m. Engine died twice.

Dano

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
This car has been at the dealership for 5 days and they can't confirm what's wrong. I asked Huydia Corporation to recall the auto. They will not. This car is defective. Radio quit, cd player quit, interior lights on and off? The dealership said it's not firing on 1,3 &7. It could be anything. Maybe a rat chewed the ground wire near the gas tank? Now they are finally indicating maybe next week they will declare the Engine Control Module needs replacing. ECM is $1100 and they don't know how long it will take to get it, and if this is the solution? They asked for $430 to keep searching. Another Hyundai dealership head of service said I should not pay them the $430. That replacing the ECM is difficult and the VIN needs to be programmed into the new device? They try to avoid a replacement, that's it is a very rare occurrence and difficult?

The 1st time the car died the code was a P0456 Vacuum leak. The 1st Hyndia dealership says vacuum test suggested all day. This would have done nothing The 1st non Hyndia mechanic said replace coils, H2o sensors, plugs, and crankshaft sensor. This car has 4 H20 sensors. The 1st mechanic ask for only 2 H20 sensors? When I unhooked the battery for 2 hours after replacing the 1st coil it ran great for 3 weeks then sounded like it was running on 6 or 7 of the 8 cylinders. Pulled over parked it. It would not start after that. 2nd tow new Hyundai dealership. Monday will be 6 days at the 2nd dealership? If they replace the ECM is there a warranty? I need to unload this POS if they get it running. HELP?

Called my Tesla Parts supply manager friend. He says a new ECM is $750 Fed Ex from the east coast, and it's easy to fix? Or buy a used one and plug it in?

MADDMOE

Registered Member
NY NY
Genesis Model Type
`I have a 2009 4.6 and im the only owner since late 2008 , had about 88k mileage until I started using it to UBER in Sept. now at about 93k and shes been acting up, i got that same error code and she was acting like it was losing power or bad gas, so I have since change my own plugs (8), o2 sensors (4) & cleaned my throttle body with a throttle body cleaner and it helped a great deal.........I had a Autozone air filter in my car and it was the first time in the 10 years that i used something other than the OEM air filter..........and I removed that autozone air filter and went back to the OEM......

....keep us informed on your results, im trying my best to stay away from the dealer...

Dano

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
`I have a 2009 4.6 and im the only owner since late 2008 , had about 88k mileage until I started using it to UBER in Sept. now at about 93k and shes been acting up, i got that same error code and she was acting like it was losing power or bad gas, so I have since change my own plugs (8), o2 sensors (4) & cleaned my throttle body with a throttle body cleaner and it helped a great deal.........I had a Autozone air filter in my car and it was the first time in the 10 years that i used something other than the OEM air filter..........and I removed that autozone air filter and went back to the OEM......

....keep us informed on your results, im trying my best to stay away from the dealer...

Dano

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Hyundai corporation reached back out and said they will investigate and make some sort of decision in 7 days.
The Dealer has exhausted the search. They want to replace the Engine Control Module. for $1300 after giving them $450 to search? Also, the would like to change the plugs for $350.

Dano

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type

Does your car run now? I need to find owners with the same ECM issue?

MADDMOE

Registered Member
NY NY
Genesis Model Type
....yes mines is running but im getting engine code P0496..so im dealing with that....

Dano

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
....yes mines is running but im getting engine code P0496..so im dealing with that....
Thats what the issue is. I Would be careful. It could be the ECM. The only way to be sure is the dealership. I would like to get your full background. I have contacted an attorney. All other mechanics want to replace parts when they dont really know this make.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Dano

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Thats what the issue is. I Would be careful. It could be the ECM. The only way to be sure is the dealership. I would like to get your full background. I have contacted an attorney. All other mechanics want to replace parts when they dont really know this make.

G-125702

Havent been on this thread in awhile due to other forums & vehicles taking up my time.....

MADDMOE

Registered Member
NY NY
Genesis Model Type
Havent been on this thread in awhile due to other forums for other vehicles

MADDMOE

Registered Member
NY NY
Genesis Model Type
I purchased a replacement ECM for my 2004 Toyota sienna and have had no issues with it after i installed it but for my 09 genesis she is still running fine at 125k miles, im guessing the items i replaced helped since i havent gotten a error code lately (knocking on wood) ......

Last edited:

Steveaux73

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
I am having same issues on my 2009 3.8l. I have the O2 sensors and am getting the plugs this week. Will let you know how my change out/tune up turns out. Did you have to change any coils?

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners