2009 Genesis Alignment Specifications

Been here awhile...
So, does this TSB correct the issue with the vehicle pulling to the left or right due to the crown of the road?

I recall someone mentioning that a dealership had to loosen up the frame bolts and make adjustments... In order for the alignment to be dead on...

jcs

Getting familiar with the group...
Ridgewood, NJ
No. I took my 3.8 for alignment and the dealer told me that the camber of one of the rear tires was out of alignment. All four tires are now within spec, but the car still pulls to the left. Since the car is now within "spec," the dealer refuses to adjust it anymore. The dealer was a real **hole to me and even made me pay him for rotating the tires (as a possible solution). I did not buy the car at that dealer, but that is no excuse. I could take my previous car (BMW) to any dealer and they would treat me with respect and gladly take on any problems.

Desperate for a solution, I called the dealer from whom I purchased the car and they do not even have an alignment machine! They tell me they can do it by eye?! I knew I would be taking a step down in the dealer experience, but the Hyundai dealers are a real joke. I have other stories, buy they have already been posted elsewhere.

I may just take it to a local alignment shop as I just want to get it fixed. I am also considering getting a new set of tires (Michelen Pilot A/S Plus) as I hear they are much better than the OEM Dunlops.

Been here awhile...
Yeah, that is one of the main reasons for getting my Genesis at the dealership that I got it at... Local and they would be the ones dealing with the vehicle the most... Most dealerships are in competition with one another, so it makes perfect sense if you are treated differently... Not right, but it happens.

With a brand new vehicle, it should track straight... They should keep working on it until it does... When they test drive it, do they say it pulls?

BaywayRic

Been here awhile...
This TSB is just the specs.
Published here because we try to publish ALL TSBs FYI.
Some may wish to have their car worked on elsewhere, and can print the TSB and take it with them.:)

jcs

Ridgewood, NJ
Yes, they confirm that it still pulls, but since it "within spec" they refuse to do anything else about it. I asked them to test one of the new cars on the lot - he said he did that and the new one pulls to the left as well (I can't confirm that he actually did it). He says that the car is just sensitive to crowns as it only pulls on the left side of a crown. That is true, but it pulls way too much for it just to be sensitive - the moment I take my hands off the wheel the car heads for the shoulder. There is no pull on the right side of a crown.

BigElm

Been here awhile...
Call HMA and make a stink about it.... also check and make sure your air pressure is the same on both sides. If anyone makes a camber adjustment, they HAVE TO realign the car; even it's 'within' the specs.

jonesf

Hasn't posted much yet...
Maryland
I've recently purchased 2011 Genesis that I have had for about a month I brought it back to the deal the day after I purchased it for pulling to the left. They realigned, I been back 5 times in this the first month of ownership in which they have tried telling me it was the crown of the road, the air pressure in one tire was 1 lb low and my personal favorite is the only way cars become misaligned is that the driver is hitting potholes, all of which have caused my car to pull to the left never the right. Each time they have had to do an alignment.

markn455

I had this problem numerous times and I discovered that most dealers alignment equipment was screwed up. It's funny that your new car never pulls to the right or the left but after you get tires are the cars older and they start monkeying with it that's when you begin to have problems.

Most alignment technicians won't take the time to do it right. The faster they can move the cars through the alignment rack the more money they make.

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
I've recently purchased 2011 Genesis that I have had for about a month I brought it back to the deal the day after I purchased it for pulling to the left. They realigned, I been back 5 times in this the first month of ownership in which they have tried telling me it was the crown of the road, the air pressure in one tire was 1 lb low and my personal favorite is the only way cars become misaligned is that the driver is hitting potholes, all of which have caused my car to pull to the left never the right. Each time they have had to do an alignment.
Take it to a tire dealer that sells the kind of tires that are on your car. Have aligment checked. And tires rotated front to back, test drive. If pull is still there swap tires right to left on the front to determine if it pull is changed. A miss manufactured radial tire can cause a pull. If it is a tire then the tire dealer will replace it under the tire warranty.

Last edited:

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
This is a very common complaint from Genesis owners. My guess is that Hyundai set the alignment specs to cause the problem (and also cause uneven tire wear) in order to make the steering more responsive (very important to get good reviews from the automotive press).

Generally, this works fine when the car is new and the tires are new (as would happen when the automotive press reviews the car). But as the tire starts to wear unevenly, the problem becomes worse (but Hyundai doesn't care, because the reviews have already been done on new tires).

jnc2000

Registered Member
This is exactly why I set my own toe and camber specs for my own driving habits. Within the first week I had it on a the rack for a more aggressive camber and slight toe in adjustment.

I should specify that since all my driving is limited to highways - and the Genesis is in no way setup as a corner carver at this moment... the toe in allows for better strait line tracking. Should I desire to use take a turn more aggressively I always have the option of applying more pedal and allowing the tail to hang out a little.

jnc2000

Registered Member
picture is worth a thousand words...

After 10K miles of driving the R-Spec I found it plenty tail happy and toe in only left it more numb, and lacking of steering feel. Toe out just slightly allowed enough resistance for my aggressive type driving. Not to mention I have more feedback through the steering wheel.

jnc2000

Registered Member
My specs were posted in a previous thread.
http://www.genesisowners.com/hyundai-genesis-forum/showpost.php?p=91805&postcount=9

After a week of driving I'm going to have it tweaked more. Going for parallel rear toe out front -- as much neg camber as can be dialed in... will tweak some positive caster in as well.

Some good reading:
http://www.modified.com/tech/0507_sccp_making_it_stick_part_2/viewall.html

Alignment can be very picky... and is highly dependent on dampening, tires, and personal preference. Unfortunately the dampening on the Genesis is not adequate enough for me. The suspension and chassis lacks feedback - and until there is a solution through the aftermarket some of this can be tweaked... but at the expense of tires.

I don't care much for tire life. In fact I'm used to running 275 series or more for my summer ... and if I get 15K I consider it a good year. Take everything with a grain of salt - and tweak the settings how you like them.

syd-c

find a good shop with well kept equipment and get them to do it with you in it. my brother inlaw had to do that for someone when he used to work at mercedies benz. he said youd be shocked of how much of a difference it makes. but iv found these cars to be very picky about road surface. just got back from a 2000 km trip and half way i thought i bent another rim because i had to keep the wheel cranked to the left to drive stright,20 km latter i hit new pavement and i could let go of the steering wheel. the stock rims are crap too,bent 3 within 5 months of getting the car

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
find a good shop with well kept equipment and get them to do it with you in it. my brother inlaw had to do that for someone when he used to work at mercedies benz. he said youd be shocked of how much of a difference it makes. but iv found these cars to be very picky about road surface. just got back from a 2000 km trip and half way i thought i bent another rim because i had to keep the wheel cranked to the left to drive stright,20 km latter i hit new pavement and i could let go of the steering wheel. the stock rims are crap too,bent 3 within 5 months of getting the car
Interesting that you have 3 posts on this forum and they are all complaining about the furthest thing important in life. Just sayin'.......

wildgenesis

So, does this TSB correct the issue with the vehicle pulling to the left or right due to the crown of the road?

I recall someone mentioning that a dealership had to loosen up the frame bolts and make adjustments... In order for the alignment to be dead on...
Yeup! After noticing the pulling...and the dealer unable to do the alignment, I had to get service authorization to drill out the front adjustment bolt because there was NO way to adjust it. I went to a shop that had the best alignment unit around - referred to by my dealer.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.