2009 Genesis alternator change

mcolvard

Hasn't posted much yet...
OK
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Coupe (2009-2016)
I have a 2009 Genesis, alternator is not charging. Any tips on changing it would be greatly appreciated as I would prefer to do it myself vs paying dealer big $$$$

Hero6

Florida
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Just changed mine last night (2011 4.6 sedan 90,000 miles). Picked one up from AutoZone for $133 plus a $71 core charge. Seemed to be well built and very heavy, same output as the stock alternator. You will need to remove part of the air intake from the top of the motor (10mm bolt and philips screwdriver) so you can get to the tensioner to remove the serpentine belt (19mm wrench). Most all of the work is done underneath the car, remove the two plastic skid plates and disconnect the two wires from your alternator, one is just a quick release plug, other is 12mm nut. Remove the two long 14mm bolts holding the alternator to the alternator bracket. there are two 14mm bolts holding the alternator bracket to the motor that are visible, remove those then slide the alternator out of the way. There are two more 14mm bracket bolts hidden behind the alternator and one more additional 12mm bolt on the front of the alternator bracket (get that one from the top). The bracket may need to be pried a little to get it off the block. Forgot, there is also one 10mm bolt holding a wiring harness to the bracket that will need to be removed. You will have to drop both the alternator and bracket and the same time. Then install new alternator....Make sure you disconnect your battery before starting, i did not and was just real careful to not touch the alternator wire to any other metal surface. Three of the bracket bolts are a real pain to install and remove, I used a small 1" extension on the socket and my fingers to remove them once loose. As removed, the alternator and bracket have to be pushed up at the same time, took a minute, but once you get one bolt started, you should be good. How many miles do you have on yours?
Good luck...

mcolvard

OK
Genesis Model Type
112,000. Thanks for the info. Have alternator loose now, getting ready to work on the other bolts holding the bracket to block. thanks again

Madikade87

Genesis Model Type
Just changed mine last night (2011 4.6 sedan 90,000 miles). Picked one up from AutoZone for $133 plus a $71 core charge. Seemed to be well built and very heavy, same output as the stock alternator. You will need to remove part of the air intake from the top of the motor (10mm bolt and philips screwdriver) so you can get to the tensioner to remove the serpentine belt (19mm wrench). Most all of the work is done underneath the car, remove the two plastic skid plates and disconnect the two wires from your alternator, one is just a quick release plug, other is 12mm nut. Remove the two long 14mm bolts holding the alternator to the alternator bracket. there are two 14mm bolts holding the alternator bracket to the motor that are visible, remove those then slide the alternator out of the way. There are two more 14mm bracket bolts hidden behind the alternator and one more additional 12mm bolt on the front of the alternator bracket (get that one from the top). The bracket may need to be pried a little to get it off the block. Forgot, there is also one 10mm bolt holding a wiring harness to the bracket that will need to be removed. You will have to drop both the alternator and bracket and the same time. Then install new alternator....Make sure you disconnect your battery before starting, i did not and was just real careful to not touch the alternator wire to any other metal surface. Three of the bracket bolts are a real pain to install and remove, I used a small 1" extension on the socket and my fingers to remove them once loose. As removed, the alternator and bracket have to be pushed up at the same time, took a minute, but once you get one bolt started, you should be good. How many miles do you have on yours?
Good luck...
How do you get the alternator loose? I have the bottom loose but the top seems wedged in I cant get it to budge to swing it out of the way.

Hero6

Florida
Genesis Model Type
Not sure, its been a while since I changed mine and its no longer fresh in my memory. I would suggest to reread my post to ensure you are not missing one of the bolts. I do not recall having any issues with it coming loose once all of the bolts were removed, I just remember having to pry the bracket loose from the block once the bolts were removed. Good luck and let us know how it turns out...

mcolvard

OK
Genesis Model Type
I had to use a pry bar to loosen mine. Very tight tolerances on these cars. Once it popped loose I used Hero6's directions and it was a snap to change. Good luck

Jet

Registered Member
Austin TX
Genesis Model Type
So if I get please turn on the engine while using the AV while I’m driving has to be the alternator correct! Eventually I lost power steering and brakes and had to park it and get it towed back to the house.

Thanks for any tips!

Madikade87

Genesis Model Type
So if I get please turn on the engine while using the AV while I’m driving has to be the alternator correct! Eventually I lost power steering and brakes and had to park it and get it towed back to the house.

Thanks for any tips!
Yes definitely alternator

Madikade87

Genesis Model Type
Will attempt to replace it myself any tips or tricks to aid the replacement?

Thanks to all!
Have to do it from underneath. You have little to no room for the middle bracket bolt so use a swivel socket. Also remember pry bar is your friend. Took me 4 hours the first time , napa gave me a bad one so had to do it all over and only took 30min once I knew what I was doing lol.

G-290897

Alternative method... Remove the underbody cover, air cleaner box and air intake assembly, dipstick, and radiator fan shroud. Remove the battery cable from below. Remove the 2 the alternator mounting bolts from below and above. Loosen the battery cable off the back of the alternator from below. This should get you access to the connector on the back of the alternator so you can disconnect it. Remove the alternator from above out the front. This way you won't have to mess with the mounting bracket. I'd recommend verifying that all the main power cables to the various fuse/relay boxes under the hood are secure and not corroded. Double check that main body to engine ground cables are secure and not damaged. I'd also make sure there's no oil dripping down off the valve cover gasket or OCV gaskets in the upper timing cover. In my case the OCV gaskets were leaking and I'm pretty sure the oil dripping on the alternator is what killed it.

Jet

Registered Member
Austin TX
Genesis Model Type
I got it done! Took way longer than I figured 2plus hours not counting the trips to AutoZone. It was the worst! My hands and arms are still bruised from all of the wrestling to get that sucker out and back in. Don’t make the mistake of placing the long top bolt on the side of fender, when I went to grab it to complete installation it fell in to the wheel well and I had loosen the guard and shake that sucker loose. So add another 45 mins fooling with that disaster. Also getting the belt back on was quite a trick, it was very difficult to get enough leverage to relax the tensioner(sp)...all in all I figured I saved quite a few bucks and only hours of downtime vs. having to take it to a shop.

Thanks to all for the tips! @G-290897 would the alternate method actually be more time consuming?

Best,

JET