2010 3.8 timing chains and Check Engine Light

Kjrock

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Check engine light is on. Code P0018. First I replaced gas cap, came back on. Then I replaced the camshaft position sensor, came back on. Then I replaced the Evap Canister. Came back on. Dealer is now saying it has several engine leaks, needs new timing chains and has a bent cam valve. It runs like the day I bought it. Not sure I buy his story but I can’t get it through emissions testing here in MD. Anyone have similar problems? Car has 186k miles.

GarnetTy1473

Been here awhile...
Noblesville, IN
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
According to the shop manual, P0018 could be caused by a cam or crank sensor, or timing misalignment, which would lead to chains, gears, and a whole bunch of other stuff. If you have the 3.8L, the CVVT's have been updated to a new design and you have to replace the camshafts as well. So I can totally believe that the dealer is saying. We have done them before, it's just been a really long time since I've seen it.

Kjrock

Genesis Model Type
According to the shop manual, P0018 could be caused by a cam or crank sensor, or timing misalignment, which would lead to chains, gears, and a whole bunch of other stuff. If you have the 3.8L, the CVVT's have been updated to a new design and you have to replace the camshafts as well. So I can totally believe that the dealer is saying. We have done them before, it's just been a really long time since I've seen it.

Kjrock

Genesis Model Type
The dealer wanted $7000 to fix. I’ve got another shop that will drop another engine in it for half of that. Just don’t want to have the same issue all over....

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums