2010 Genesis trans fluid change

983-over

Hasn't posted much yet...
My wife 2010 Genesis sedan was due for a fluid change. I did a little research and it appears that there are 2 "drain" plugs on the pan. Supposedly, one is the actual drain plug, the others an overflow plug. I removed the plug on the passenger side of the pan and got fluid flowing out. I removed the second plug at the rear of the pan and I got fluid flowing out again. The problem I have is that a total of less than 2 quarts of fluid came out. I was expecting 6+.

Does this seem right?

dougmcp

Been here awhile...
Plumas Lake, CALIFORNIA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I'm thinking that this may be one of the ZF transmissions they used in the early years. I also think you should have gotten at least 4 or 5 qts out a drain.
If you are interested I have a service manual for your car. Let me know the engine size and I will send you one NC.

983-over

[
I'm thinking that this may be one of the ZF transmissions they used in the early years. I also think you should have gotten at least 4 or 5 qts out a drain.
If you are interested I have a service manual for your car. Let me know the engine size and I will send you one NC.
It's 2010 Genesis sedan with 3.8 engine.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
It's 2010 Genesis sedan with 3.8 engine.
That is the B600 Aisin transmission. I hope you have the correct transmission fluid, as the ZF (V8) transmission and the Aisin required different ones (even though both use synthetic fluids). You can find the specs in the owners manual.

These transmission are not meant to serviced in the same way as older ones, and more complicated to do a drain and fill. It normally requires that the pan be dropped.

Last edited:

dougmcp

Been here awhile...
Plumas Lake, CALIFORNIA
Genesis Model Type
I'm not familiar with that specific transmission but most "sealed" transmissions have a drain, fill and overflow plug of some description regardless of manufacturer. Generally the only reason to drop the pan is to change the filter and in some Hyundai products the filter is part of the pan and the pan gets replaced as well.

983-over

That is the B600 Aisin transmission. I hope you have the correct transmission fluid, as the ZF (V8) transmission and the Aisin required different ones (even though both use synthetic fluids). You can find the specs in the owners manual.

These transmission are not meant to serviced in the same way as older ones, and more complicated to do a drain and fill. It normally requires that the pan be dropped.
I do have the proper fluid, so no issue there. I followed the directions from the manual Mark graciously gave me and I still am only getting about 1 2/3 quart of fluid out. The tranny does have the drain plug, overflow plug and a filler plug.

The ironic part is that I owned and operated a tranny shop in the 90's and have made hundreds of fluid changes. I never saw a tranny that held so little in the pan. I may get a pan gasket and pull it to see if there is an issue.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I do have the proper fluid, so no issue there. I followed the directions from the manual Mark graciously gave me and I still am only getting about 1 2/3 quart of fluid out. The tranny does have the drain plug, overflow plug and a filler plug.

The ironic part is that I owned and operated a tranny shop in the 90's and have made hundreds of fluid changes. I never saw a tranny that held so little in the pan. I may get a pan gasket and pull it to see if there is an issue.
I would also spring for the filter at the bottom of the pan.

983-over

I would also spring for the filter at the bottom of the pan.
Yeah, we used to sell those with every fluid change. It was a good profit center. My experience was that if you needed a filter, then you will be needing a new tranny soon. All they catch is "rocks".

NJTom

Registered Member
Central PA
Any updates to this thread? I'm planning on servicing my 2009 3.8 soon. I almost at 100k and I know the fluid has never been changed/performed.
Where can I purchase the correct parts and fluid (besides the dealer)?
What are these "direction" from Mark? May I obtain a copy?
Thank you,

2bornot2b

Any updates to this thread? I'm planning on servicing my 2009 3.8 soon. I almost at 100k and I know the fluid has never been changed/performed.
Thank you,
Thank you,

2bornot2b

NJTom. . I changed the trans fluid on my 2009 3.8 last year and the process is pretty straight forward. If you plan on buying the fluid from a dealer keep in mind that many dealers don’t carry the fluid. They have to order it and that may impact your timeline.

NJTom

Registered Member
Central PA
Thanks for the feedback. How many quarts did you need for the fluid change? Did you drain and refill? I see our Aisin tranny hold about 8.5 quarts total but I know not all is drained each time. I want to make sure I have enough on hand when I perform the task. Thanks again.

Jabald

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Hey Doug, I can’t figure out how to message you on this forum, but I would be infinitely grateful if you sent me a 2011 4.6 manual. Please pm me for my email. Thank you!!!!

As for this matter, didn’t seem like a whole lot of fluid came out my my tranny, but more than you’re saying. The tranny filter was easily replaced. As for the amount to add back into the trannsmission, couldn’t tell you. When I first serviced it, We filled it until it started overflowing out the fill bolt hole. Drove it a day and noticed it was shifting hard and felt rough. We jacked it up only on the driver side to put more fluid into the tranny. After adding about a half quart of atf, it shifted perfectly and haven’t had a problem since. Make sure you have enough atf. I used valvoline maxlife as atf fluid. I read a bunch of threads explaining how important using oem Hyundai fluid is. Honestly I think that’s bullshit. The zf tranny in my 4.6 is used in bmw’s, jaguars, benzs, rolls royce’s.... you think they all use Hyundai oem atf??? Wrooong ;)

2bornot2b

Thanks for the feedback. How many quarts did you need for the fluid change? Did you drain and refill? I see our Aisin tranny hold about 8.5 quarts total but I know not all is drained each time. I want to make sure I have enough on hand when I perform the task. Thanks again.
NJTom,
I drained, lowered the pan, replaced filter/gasket and then refilled. All in all, it only took 4 qts. I drove the car for about 1k miles and drained/refilled again and this time it only took 2.5 qts. Repeated the process a few thousand miles later and again only took a little over 2 qts. The oil that came out the 3rd time was clean and looked just like the new oil.
Hope this helps.

edizzle89

Registered Member
Columbus, IN
Genesis Model Type
Hey Doug, I can’t figure out how to message you on this forum, but I would be infinitely grateful if you sent me a 2011 4.6 manual. Please pm me for my email. Thank you!!!!

As for this matter, didn’t seem like a whole lot of fluid came out my my tranny, but more than you’re saying. The tranny filter was easily replaced. As for the amount to add back into the trannsmission, couldn’t tell you. When I first serviced it, We filled it until it started overflowing out the fill bolt hole. Drove it a day and noticed it was shifting hard and felt rough. We jacked it up only on the driver side to put more fluid into the tranny. After adding about a half quart of atf, it shifted perfectly and haven’t had a problem since. Make sure you have enough atf. I used valvoline maxlife as atf fluid. I read a bunch of threads explaining how important using oem Hyundai fluid is. Honestly I think that’s bullshit. The zf tranny in my 4.6 is used in bmw’s, jaguars, benzs, rolls royce’s.... you think they all use Hyundai oem atf??? Wrooong ;)
hopefully nothing got damaged after your fill procedure and being potentially the wrong level. The proper procedure is, with the car level, to fill with the engine off until it's running out of the hole, then have someone start the car and slowly go between reverse and drive a few times while you continue to fill it until it runs out again, then you put the plug back in the fill hole, leave it running and let it warm up to to 40C or 104F then check the fill hole again, let it drain out until it's just dribbling or add more as needed.

Here's a link to the procedure I used: ZF 6HP26 drain and fill

As for the trans fluid I used Ravenol 6HP fluid as it's cheaper than any OEM fluid but still designed specifically for the ZF trans. bmw’s, jaguars, benzs, rolls royce might not use OEM Hyundai fluid but I'm sure Hyundai's specific fluid is identical to all the other manufacturer's brands of trans fluid, most OEM's dont make their own fluids anyways, it's just a rebranding of an oil company's fluid. It's up to you as to what fluid you want to use and I'm sure some non-ZF specific fluids will work just fine, but personally I like to use something that's designed specifically for my application.

NJTom

Registered Member
Central PA
NJTom,
I drained, lowered the pan, replaced filter/gasket and then refilled. All in all, it only took 4 qts. I drove the car for about 1k miles and drained/refilled again and this time it only took 2.5 qts. Repeated the process a few thousand miles later and again only took a little over 2 qts. The oil that came out the 3rd time was clean and looked just like the new oil.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for the information. It was helpful.
Where did you buy the filter and gasket? What oil did you use? Did you go to the dealer or on-line?
I saw on Rockauto the following:
Gasket

Oil

But I couldn't locate the filter. Are these good prices. Anyone's input would be appreciated.

Jabald

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
hopefully nothing got damaged after your fill procedure and being potentially the wrong level. The proper procedure is, with the car level, to fill with the engine off until it's running out of the hole, then have someone start the car and slowly go between reverse and drive a few times while you continue to fill it until it runs out again, then you put the plug back in the fill hole, leave it running and let it warm up to to 40C or 104F then check the fill hole again, let it drain out until it's just dribbling or add more as needed.

Here's a link to the procedure I used: ZF 6HP26 drain and fill

As for the trans fluid I used Ravenol 6HP fluid as it's cheaper than any OEM fluid but still designed specifically for the ZF trans. bmw’s, jaguars, benzs, rolls royce might not use OEM Hyundai fluid but I'm sure Hyundai's specific fluid is identical to all the other manufacturer's brands of trans fluid, most OEM's dont make their own fluids anyways, it's just a rebranding of an oil company's fluid. It's up to you as to what fluid you want to use and I'm sure some non-ZF specific fluids will work just fine, but personally I like to use something that's designed specifically for my application.
You’re right about the fill process. I put the genesis on jackstands, made sure it was level, filled the tranny and cycled through the gears 2-3 times... still wasn’t enough to get it shifting right. I was prepared to subtract or add fluid to get it shifting right. Adding was key. Thanks for the nonexistent dipstick! Hopefully I’ll be able to report any significant damage after another tranny change in 60k miles but that wont be soon! Been shifting better than ever for the last 10k miles. As for the fluid type, I did some research on the bmw forums and found out the Valvoline maxlife i’m using Got an answer from Valvoline. Their Maxlife fluid satisfies the Shell M1375 Spec.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.