2011 3.8 Tech Owner - Mulling purchase

GypsyDRB

Hasn't posted much yet...
I am mulling a 2015 AWD Ultimate purchase either Parisian Grey or Montecito. I also really like the Hampton Green Pearl on the Santa Fe and would seriously consider doing a paint job with the dealer for that color.

Anyone know ballpark costs / issues on doing that?

Having said all that I also really like the A7 with the hatch, ton of trunk space, and the TDI(live low end torque). I would get a used one (which means I would need to wait a bit) as the TDI's were only released in the last year and I am looking to maintain a similiar price point.

Has anyone driven one who can offer thoughts versus 2015 genny?

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Can't say I've driven either the A7 or the 2015 Genny, sorry. Have you test driven them yourself? That's probably not a bad place to start. The Audi will handle better without a doubt (I love the way Audis handle, btw).

As for custom painting, I would guess somewhere north of $4000.

GenesisCaptain

Registered Member
Having said all that I also really like the A7 with the hatch, ton of trunk space, and the TDI(live low end torque). I would get a used one (which means I would need to wait a bit) as the TDI's were only released in the last year and I am looking to maintain a similiar price point.
My mom is actively shopping for a car, and her top two contenders are the used A7 and 2015 Genesis. I am helping and enjoying the excursions.

1) She gave up on the TDI. They are massively rare, and the odds of finding a TDI in the right colors and options is super low.

2) Even used, the A7 is substantially more than a 2015 V6 Ultimate Genesis.

3) Even with TDI off the table, an A7 Prestige with the Innovation Package (feature equivalent of the Genesis Ultimate) is pretty rare.

4) The A7 is drop dead gorgeous.

5) The A7 is indescribably better driving and more communicative than the Genesis. It is not that the 2015 Genesis is bad; rather the A7 is a standard setter for a decently sized sedan.

6) The A7 electronics are a generation ahead of the 2015 Genesis.

6) The Genesis is an all around better car for regular, everyday life. It is bigger, more comfortable, more economical, cheaper to operate, and smoother on rougher roads.

GenesisCaptain

Registered Member
Curious about this assessment - in what really meaningful ways do you see this to be true?
  • The UI on the screen is easier and more intuitive.
  • It has a mobile hotspot built into the car.
  • It gets live Google Map data for navigation when connected.
  • It's nav instructions have all the multi lane change stuff that are on the latest Garmins, and it presents that on the HUD.
  • The HUD in general has more info laid out more intuitively.
  • The Bluetooth streaming shows album art.
  • The input is both the push knob like the Genesis and a touch-sensitive writing pad.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I am mulling a 2015 AWD Ultimate purchase either Parisian Grey or Montecito. I also really like the Hampton Green Pearl on the Santa Fe and would seriously consider doing a paint job with the dealer for that color.

Anyone know ballpark costs / issues on doing that?
Any good body shop can color match the factory paint colors. I doubt that Hyundai dealers in the USA have any special access to Hyundai paint any more than an independent body shop.

Nikgen

Been here awhile...
  • The UI on the screen is easier and more intuitive.
  • It has a mobile hotspot built into the car.
  • It gets live Google Map data for navigation when connected.
  • It's nav instructions have all the multi lane change stuff that are on the latest Garmins, and it presents that on the HUD.
  • The HUD in general has more info laid out more intuitively.
  • The Bluetooth streaming shows album art.
  • The input is both the push knob like the Genesis and a touch-sensitive writing pad.
OK - thanks for clarifying. Some subjectivity in these areas, I suppose - but it should be better for the significantly larger pile of cash:

• The UI on the screen is easier and more intuitive.I actually find the Genesis UI better than my brother-in-laws S4 (maybe the A7 is improved)
  • It has a mobile hotspot built into the car. nice to have it built in I guess, but my iPhone can do that for me in the very rare instance I might want to do it
  • It gets live Google Map data for navigation when connected.Cool tech, but too much info/distracting to me - I prefer a simpler map presentation - easier to quickly read and less cluttered looking
  • It's nav instructions have all the multi lane change stuff that are on the latest Garmins, and it presents that on the HUD. maybe nice, but maybe info overload in that space? I'd have to experience to judge if it's helpful or just more distracting.
  • The HUD in general has more info laid out more intuitively. hard to fault the Genesis HUD - I don't see anything non-intuitive about it. perhaps the A7 has more info, but pictures online don't present it as any more intuitive to me?
  • The Bluetooth streaming shows album art. Nice touch, but not important to me as I usually plug in and as long as I still see song title/artist's on BT. After all, about how it sounds and the Ultimate is awesome - but I get that it is about details, so win for Audi there
  • The input is both the push knob like the Genesis and a touch-sensitive writing pad. I use voice and it works quite well, so would really never use this - but a nice touch for those who like that function

Also, Siri Eyes Free tech works really well on the Genesis Ultimate - I don't think Audi has that?

GenesisCaptain

Registered Member
OK - thanks for clarifying. Some subjectivity in these areas, I suppose - but it should be better for the significantly larger pile of cash.
No comment on the value of all that. The A7 is just a prettied-up A6, but it carries a >$10K price premium over the A6. And, a new A6 is probably around $15K more expensive than an equivalent 2015 Genesis Ultimate. The current crop of Audis are a technology tour de force. They are probably at the top of everyone else at the moment. Not too bad from 10 years ago when they were dead last, and behind many of the Japanese luxury cars in technology.

My mom is probably going to choose the 2015 Genesis ultimate. She just drove about 3 hours today to get a glimpse of an Ibiza blue car-- a coupe-- just to see the color. There are only one or two Ibiza 3.8 Ultimates anywhere in the U.S. right now, so it is a bit of a waiting game. Her 2nd choice color is white with the gray interior.

She drove an Audi A7 again a couple days ago, but she just could not justify it. Although she is in her 70s, it was the Audi technology and handling that keep drawing her back from the Genesis. But, the Genesis is bigger, cheaper, and fits her need better than the smaller A7. Plus, the Ibiza blue smokes almost every Audi A7 color. If someone in town had the red A7 loaded with all the stuff she wants, she would probably buy it.

allisondbl

Registered Member
No comment on the value of all that. The A7 is just a prettied-up A6, but it carries a >$10K price premium over the A6. And, a new A6 is probably around $15K more expensive than an equivalent 2015 Genesis Ultimate. The current crop of Audis are a technology tour de force. They are probably at the top of everyone else at the moment. Not too bad from 10 years ago when they were dead last, and behind many of the Japanese luxury cars in technology.
It was the Audi technology and handling that keep drawing her back from the Genesis. But, the Genesis is bigger, cheaper, and fits her need better than the smaller A7. ...
Me, I was choosing between the Mercedes E-350 and the Audi A6 (latest models) until I got an ExtremeTech article on the Genesis and drove her. While both of those are SMOKING cars, the Genesis has it ALL. Really. About all - MAYBE - the Merc has is a bit more intuitive and responsive Nav but the Genesis Ultimate is virtually as gorgeous inside - personal quibbles aside - and is closer to 25-35K cheaper and includes the HUD and puddle lamp stuff and maybe better seats.

Really can't go wrong here IMHO.