2012 3.8 Oil Catch Can install

HavasuPaPa

Registered Member
So Cal
I saw a thread for a 5.0 R-Spec oil catch can install, so I thought I would share my catch can install on my 2012 3.8 V6. I used the same brand CC (catch can) as in the R-Spec thread. It is very solid, built from T6061 aluminum, is baffled, and there is a dip stick on the top so you can tell when it needs to be dumped. Probably at each oil change. It comes in five colors: black, silver, blue, purple, or red. It is small, which made my installation very easy.
I removed the mounting bracket from the CC because I didn’t need it. The existing factory hose connected at the PCV valve will ALWAYS remain connected to the PCV valve for installation or removal. I disconnected the other end of the factory PCV hose from the intake manifold and reconnected to the INPUT side of the CC. I purchased a vacuum line with a pre-formed 90° bend at one end (NAPA #7151820). I connected the 90° end to the intake manifold and the other end to the OUTPUT side of the CC. (I removed 9 ¾” to get the correct length) The existing length of the factory PCV hose positioned the CC so that it fits snuggly against the firewall and fuse/relay housing. I found no need to secure it with hardware. Although it is baffled, I added a small piece of a stainless steel scrubber into the baffle cup to help separate the incoming oil and gunk. DO NOT use the fine steel wool type, use the one with the coarse curly strands. I also added a small o-ring on the dip stick. Because of the snug fit, it requires removal in order to dump it. It is very easy to remove or reconnect to factory specs. Disconnect at the intake manifold. Then disconnect the CC INPUT side and reconnect that end to the intake manifold. All connections are accessible without removing the air intake tubing coming from the air filter box.
http://gogoautoshop.com/oil-breather-baffled-catch-tank-can.html
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/R...tk=Keyword&Nty=1&Dn=0&D=7151820&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0
forum1.jpg
forum2.jpg

MFproblem

Registered Member
the only issue i have about the add1 when i did it to my rspec is the inlet and outlet are reversed on mine. do u have the same issue?

HavasuPaPa

Registered Member
So Cal
the only issue i have about the add1 when i did it to my rspec is the inlet and outlet are reversed on mine. do u have the same issue?
I connected the Inlet to the PCV valve and the outlet to the intake manifold.
What was confusing is both arrows at the Inlet and Outlet point to the outside of the can. The Inlet side should have the arrow pointing into the can, the direction of the flow.

HavasuPaPa

Registered Member
So Cal
I looked at the printed instructions for the catch can and now know what you mean by having the inlet and outlet reversed. The labeling on the actual catch can is correct, but the labeling on the printed instructions was reversed. However the picture showing the air flow direction was correct. I have purchased another one (black). I put the black one into the Genesis and moved the silver one to my 2009 Kia Borrego V8. The same engine the Genesis came with that year.

jmac404

'13 3.8 Sedan
Atlanta
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Thanks. I followed this and it worked. That 90 deg elbow has gotten a bit pricey, $15-20, but helped with fitting. I wish there was a better way to mount the thing solidly to something but this method is effective

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
I recommend getting a stainless scrubber pad (got mine at dollar store) and stuffing it in the CC. It helps keep the oil down and prevents it from getting sucked back into the return hose.

jmac404

'13 3.8 Sedan
Atlanta
Update - I did add the stainless scrubber pads thanks.

Also, in my case, it was very difficult to get it located in a place where it doesn't rattle around. I'm not sure what I'm going to end up doing but will need to figure something out

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
I attached mine to that nut on the firewall just to the right of where your catch can is installed. I used 2 "Everbilt 2" zinc-plated mending plates" from Home Depot off the catch can bracket. One connected to top bolt, one to bottom bolt, slid them together to make a "V" then slid them onto the bolt on the firewall.

If I get a chance I'll take mine off so I can show you.

jmac404

'13 3.8 Sedan
Atlanta
I attached mine to that nut on the firewall just to the right of where your catch can is installed. I used 2 "Everbilt 2" zinc-plated mending plates" from Home Depot off the catch can bracket. One connected to top bolt, one to bottom bolt, slid them together to make a "V" then slid them onto the bolt on the firewall.

If I get a chance I'll take mine off so I can show you.
No need to remove but if you can snap a pic of it as-is that would be helpful

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums