• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2012 4.6 Suspension advice sought

P4D

Hasn't posted much yet...
Hi all-I am looking for some advice on what to do. I have a 2012 4.6 with 76k miles in Southern California. Shop tells me I need front and rear struts and control arms, front and rear suspension (not fully sure what that means), and rear shocks. Basically a full suspension rebuild. Price is $2750. I have no idea how to tell if I need it all, and what I should be paying, and if I should go OEM or something else. I would appreciate your advice!

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
What symptoms are you having that caused you to take it to them?
How about going to another shop, giving them the same symptoms, and asking for a 2nd opinion?

P4D

Hasn't posted much yet...
I'm chewing through tires and I clearly have a harsher ride and shes a bit of a handful to drive.

Cali Gen

Registered Member
Bay Area, California
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I have a 3.8 but i do all my own suspension work which aside from spring rates should be the same. i have put on my own lowering springs on to now receiving DS series BC Coilovers this coming tuesday.. Im at 92k and i honestly feel im about 15-20k miles over due switching out my stock shocks and struts.. i just waited because i wanted to get nice custom coilovers so i put it off and lived with it till i could purchase them not the greatest decison but meh i dont pay for labor..

anyway youre mileage is about wher i wouldve wanted to change out my oem suspension. things to know:

2 front struts \
> priced out to around 715 bbefore tax and shipping
2 rear shocks /

Shop OEM Shocks and Struts | Hyundai Parts & Accessories

which is why since i already had lowering springs and was going to have to replace the shocks/struts and that was the price i just opted to shell out a little more money for quality coilovers that way i could fine tune everything i wanted.

Now as far as control arms go since i i rode with blown shocks it affected part of my other suspension i know specifically which one i need to replace and the reason it needs to be replaced is a bushing. but you cant change the bushings on oem parts so you have to buy a whole new control arm. which is why ill be replacing it with a Moog(brand) control arm which allows for the bushings to be swapped out if they were to go bad in the future.. but if you follow the link you see that up front there are 4 different control arms available for purchase for the front alone so it can add up.. However all this being said if youre tight on cash i would suggest replacing the 2 front struts and 2 rear shocks and see how everything feels, and if you do decid to replace your control arms opt for ones that allow you to change your bushings in the future.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums