2012 Genesis grey smoke from exhaust

larrya100

Hasn't posted much yet...
Palmdale, CA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Hi, I have a new to me 2012 Genesis. It's white and I've washed it a few times and keep noticing grey exhaust residue on the back bumper and overall back of the vehicle. The chrome exhaust tips are very black (each wash). When running the car I do see a fairly faint grey smoke coming out. When revving the car it does blow out more smoke than when idling. It's not billowing out. It does not look white nor smell sweet as in antifreeze getting into the system. The transmission fluid is clean. I just got the car three months ago, used from a dealer who also did the registration. I assume it passed smog for the registration. I noticed that it's been doing this since I got it. Somewhere I read that in general it could be an air gas mix ratio. Is there something that I can check as a moderate DIY job? Any advice? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
The 3.8 is fairly reliable, and have not seen that reported on this forum that I recall. However, the Hyundai GDI engines, starting in 2013, did produce a fair amount of exhaust soot, but that is normal. Hard to tell if you situation is normal or not.

I would check the oil level, and maybe replace the oil with a 5W-30 (preferably synthetic). See if you can find a mechanic or friend that can diagnose the problem based on the smoke smell and color. If there is a problem, I don't recall of any DIY fixes, but depends on what the problem is.

Maybe you should get another inspection to make sure it would pass again. I don't know anything about California emissions inspection law, but if the car had an inspection within the past year before it was sold, would the dealer need to do a new one? But, even if they did an emissions inspection, I would not trust a used car dealer to do an emissions inspection on a cars they sell.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Couple of possibilities come to mind. Too rich a fuel mixture. Burning oil. Keep an eye on oil consumption.. The most accurate diagnosis would be to put some instruments on it to get some readings. I'm not up on the latest technology but there was a time a bad PCV valve could cause it. I had a lot of gray smoke when the vacuum modulator on the transmission was going bad but new trannys may not even have them.

Parasurfer1979

Getting familiar with the group...
Wilmington, NC
Genesis Model Type
Maybe your car is running rich. What kind of fuel are you running?

jimmy buoy

Getting familiar with the group...
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Normal for these GDI engines. Both my 2012 5.0 Rspec and 2015 5.0 Ultimate spew wet droplets of exhaust soot, especially when cold and more so when you hit the throttle hard. It just shows more on a white car than others. The vacuum created at the rear of the car allows these droplets to accumulate on the back of the trunk/bumper. Wash often.

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
+1 this is normal.

A good paint sealant like Carpro Reload on the paint and chrome tips might also help reduce the amount of soot accumulation, and make cleaning easier.

abejito99

Fl
Hi, I have a new to me 2012 Genesis. It's white and I've washed it a few times and keep noticing grey exhaust residue on the back bumper and overall back of the vehicle. The chrome exhaust tips are very black (each wash). When running the car I do see a fairly faint grey smoke coming out. When revving the car it does blow out more smoke than when idling. It's not billowing out. It does not look white nor smell sweet as in antifreeze getting into the system. The transmission fluid is clean. I just got the car three months ago, used from a dealer who also did the registration. I assume it passed smog for the registration. I noticed that it's been doing this since I got it. Somewhere I read that in general it could be an air gas mix ratio. Is there something that I can check as a moderate DIY job? Any advice? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

Try using a system cleaner high quality from a company called Red line (cleans tank and injectors) and also add a portion of high premium gas 93

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
As said GDI engines do produce soot

MikeJones916

CA
Try using a system cleaner high quality from a company called Red line (cleans tank and injectors) and also add a portion of high premium gas 93

I second this notion. I used it on every oil change on my last car and once on this car and after it runs through, the next tank should be much cleaner.

But alas, exhaust soot is a bi-product of that good all gasoline being directly injected.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-Complete-System-Cleaner/dp/B000CPI5Z0

_Michael

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums