2012 Genesis Review from an OCD Person

alexalee1

Hasn't posted much yet...
I am a long time lurker, but a first time poster.

I have been following the Hyundai Genesis since its introduction in the U.S. But a 2012 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec caught my attention again ever since the Genesis Sedan fell off my radar due to the harsh suspension issue people have reported since 2009.

So, naturally, I have been collecting all 2012 pictures (after deleting all my previous years Genesis pictures "collection" since the "dismissal" before), re-read the forums here and the Korean site, visiting Hyundai sites, etc.

I visited a Hyundai dealer close by last week, and went home slightly disappointed. Mind you, the experience with the sales personnel is top notch, the car is excellent, but there is this tiny details that I think Hyundai should improve to pass my OCD inspection. This is for 2012 V6, the V8 and R-Spec hasn't arrived yet. Note: I visited the dealer a couple times before, but never closely examined the Genesis as if I am about to purchase.

I haven't even started the engine nor did the test drive, but, I did the door slam and walk around test. Unfortunately, during my walk around, "something" very miniscule (to most people) caught my eye, and it lower my own personal standing of the Genesis for future purchase.

If you looks at the fuel door and its surrounding area from an angle, you'll notice some ripples in the metal. I am not sure if it's the PDI issue at this particular dealer, or if it's the orange peel or if indeed Hyundai is using a thinner sheet metal than Lexus, for example. It looks as if someone was slamming the fuel door too hard when closing it, and leave a thumb print ding on it. Several Genesis had this "defect" when I checked, and even the salesman was seeing it too, and admitted it. It's more noticeable with the black car which I considered.

Note 2: This is not the first Hyundai that I noticed have this kind of imperfection. When 2005 or so previous generation Sonata first arrived at the dealer, I noticed there is a sheet metal crease/bend in the C pillar where the quarter windows meet the C-pillar (stamping issue). Hyundai fixed this in a latter years Sonata.

Having said that, I am still considering the 2012 or later Hyundai Genesis R-spec. Hopefully Hyundai read this post, and address the issue.

This is not a troll post, but I want to give back what I learnt from here.

Oh, BTW, speaking of OCD, have you noticed that 2012 Hyundai Genesis Prada has four additional plastic engine cover that the regular genesis doesn't have

See if you can identify it from this picture:
http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/hyundai/genesis/ns/hyundai_genesis_eng_ns_51811_815.jpg

I will buy these four pieces if I end up buying the R-Spec, but I will keep all else as is (i.e. red engine cover paint is not for me).

Also, if you haven't noticed, on the production engine cover, Hyundai put some silver paint on the "engine". I like it!. The prototype engine cover official picture was naked = unpainted plastic.

BTW, the missing four pieces are to the left and right of this main plastic engine cover. It makes the engine bay looks more finished. Hopefully Hyundai will also rectify this for future R-Spec in the U.S. This is another cost cutting details that I have noticed for the U.S. bound R-Spec besides all the other missing pieces that other poster(s) had identified.

Last edited:

DeeVa

Been here awhile...
I love it! You should write a book, really. You seem to be a very observant person, and if you are looking for a minuscule detail as a reason not to buy, someone with your powers of observation will find them! Of course, they will be different for every maker/style so ergo the book. Apart from the all-important fuel door test (many overlook this), did you happen to actually drive the car? Any thoughts on the new suspension? The suspension is less important perhaps in the scheme of things (you have to open that fuel door EVERY time you add gas), but I am a detail-oriented sort of guy.

Glashub

Been here awhile...
I love it! You should write a book, really. You seem to be a very observant person, and if you are looking for a minuscule detail as a reason not to buy, someone with your powers of observation will find them! Of course, they will be different for every maker/style so ergo the book. Apart from the all-important fuel door test (many overlook this), did you happen to actually drive the car? Any thoughts on the new suspension? The suspension is less important perhaps in the scheme of things (you have to open that fuel door EVERY time you add gas), but I am a detail-oriented sort of guy.

lol. I too am an obsessive sort. For the longest time I thought God's will was for me to be perfect and to make sure that everything around me was perfect. But at some point one can't help but notice that nothing is perfect and cars in particular have shortcomings....all of them.... and that no car was going to get me to heaven. So I kinda had to say ***k it, and make that leap of faith....or I'd spend my life observing life rather than participating in it.

dg_moore

Been here awhile...
Maryland

Seattle Genesis

Registered Member
Dude..... Im sure if you look hard enough you will find flaws in a Rolls Royce or Bentley or anything, even a beautiful sunset. Look at the whole of the car and not the ripples around the gas tank.... LOL

Plus... I didnt even know the hood opened. I thought the dealer was only allowed in there.... HAHAHHA Just kidding. There's no reason for me even go in that part of the car.

waveman

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Alabama
@alexalee1: I haven't noticed the defect you're referring to, and I'm fairly detail-oriented as well. That doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, just that I haven't seen it.

Truth is, though, if you examine the Genesis inside and outside with a microscope, you'll find instances where the workmanship doesn't quite reach the level of some luxury cars. But those cars cost thousands of dollars more - it depends how much you're willing to pay for perfection. And, in the real world, minor cosmetic differences tend to get masked as vehicles are subject to the grime, dings, and other vicissitudes of daily driving.

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
... And there is no defect in my 2010 black Genesis fuel door.

Nor on my 2009 Genesis V8, or my 2006 V6 Sonata. I'm glad......now I can sleep at night. Good God:rolleyes:

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

BBQ Bandit

Been here awhile...
Central PA
Wonder if this poster (alexalee1) is married?

Perfection does not exist.... the real question is what is the best compromise?
The Genesis is an example of value and quality: dollar for dollar, feature for feature.

Those of us who own the Genny... already know that.

Ruissimo

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The two black covers on the flanks look GREAT! I would just buy those two pieces and call it a day - though... it would ROCK if Hyundai would go ahead and release a "5.0L" badge replacement already - why is that not on the engine cover?

Not crazy about the red on the Prada cover - the perfect color combo would be Black where the red is, and silver where the black is.

2en71bp.png

Done.

STREETS

Registered Member
Connecticut
The fuel door is plastic- cannot be dented- so I do not know what you saw. Comparing the fit and finish to BMW, Lexus, Mercedes (note- see Sonata paint ad comparing MERC) the quality is right up there- if not more so at thousands $$$ less.
Compare said car to another on the lot. Also, when a "classic car" is redone- body off frame total restoration- top $$ cars need factory finishes- not too perfect- and they get top price!

Hyundai gets a quality finish without the sanding between coats of a Bentley of LS Lexus.

tonygxp

Been here awhile...
the orange peel on these is no where near as bad as my my previous GM vehicles so i am all too happy to stare at the paint all day long. the fuel door is the fuel door and you must be very annoying to live with as i consider myself extremely ocd and i haven't done anywhere near the inspection you have lol...

STREETS

Registered Member
Connecticut
Some-few, very early 2009 engine compartments had similar side shrouds- my guess- accountants ditched those- unless anyone has peaked under the hood of 2012's and found them present.

acoga

Been here awhile...
That's one of the most bizarre car reviews I've ever read. "Well, I didn't drive the car, listen to the stereo, or interact with the Nav system. But that fuel door, hoo boy!" Then he goes on at length about plastic engine shrouds? Those are some unusual priorities.

timc1475

Been here awhile...
Illinois
Dude..... Im sure if you look hard enough you will find flaws in a Rolls Royce or Bentley or anything, even a beautiful sunset. Look at the whole of the car and not the ripples around the gas tank.... LOL

Plus... I didnt even know the hood opened. I thought the dealer was only allowed in there.... HAHAHHA Just kidding. There's no reason for me even go in that part of the car.

What about to check the oil and washer fluid levels etc...

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
That is why they have full service gas stations. The attendant will handle all of that.
Haven't seen one of those in about 25 years, although I know a few states or cities have outlawed self-service.

waveman

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Alabama
Haven't seen one of those in about 25 years, although I know a few states or cities have outlawed self-service.

Back in the day two attendants would run out when you drove up: one would ask how much and what type of fuel to pump ("high test" or regular, with lead of course) and the other would clean your windows and check your oil and water levels. They knew you were there because of the hose that you drove over on the way in, which rang a bell in the service area.

Those days are long gone. I even remember when gas stations gave you stuff (towels, glasses...) for buying gas.

When self service came out I thought it was really cool to pump my own gas, but that feeling wore off quickly.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Back in the day two attendants would run out when you drove up: one would ask how much and what type of fuel to pump ("high test" or regular, with lead of course) and the other would clean your windows and check your oil and water levels. They knew you were there because of the hose that you drove over on the way in, which rang a bell in the service area.

Those days are long gone. I even remember when gas stations gave you stuff (towels, glasses...) for buying gas.

When self service came out I thought it was really cool to pump my own gas, but that feeling wore off quickly.
Believe it or not, self-service pumping of gas is illegal in New Jersey and Oregon, and a few cities elsewhere.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners