2012 Tech Package Nav Map Update Thoughts?

GenesisCaptain

Registered Member
I have a 2012 Genesis Sedan with the Technology Package. It still has its original maps that probably date to early 2012, or possibly 2011. I have it at the dealer for a service, and am considering the map software update as long as they have it in the shop. Are there any user general system interface or feature benefits from jumping from 2011 or early 2012 maps to the latest V11 2017 maps? Or, are the only updates to the map data themselves?

memphiskane

Registered Member
Not sure myself what the differences are but I have been pondering doing this myself. If you do end up with it please let the rest of us know. Also what your dealer quoted you. I cannot seem to get a straight answer from any of the service advisors around here and that's if I can even get them on the phone.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Not sure myself what the differences are but I have been pondering doing this myself. If you do end up with it please let the rest of us know. Also what your dealer quoted you. I cannot seem to get a straight answer from any of the service advisors around here and that's if I can even get them on the phone.
You might be able to get some info on that if you contact www.mapnsoft.com
They have a phone number and also online Chat.

GenesisCaptain

Registered Member
Well, they finished the service faster than I expected (new transmission), so I did not have them do the update. I also figured out that my current maps are dated May of 2011, so I will definitely be doing the update. I will probably hold off until early next year, when the next release may arrive. (The current release is January of 2017, and it does not look like there is a mid-year 11.5 version out.)

Genny406

Hasn't posted much yet...
same here, I have my 2012 Tech scheduled for a recall to update the current (original 2011) software to 2014. That might give you some idea of what can be expected with future versions. Let us know if your chat with the folks at mapnsoft yields any positive feedback, as their website didn't have any useful info.

OUsig

Been here awhile...
McKinney TX
Genesis Model Type
I called them end of 2016 and was told the next update would be pretty major and was supposed to be mid2017. If not end of 2017.
More than just more POI. Some actual interface updates he said.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I called them end of 2016 and was told the next update would be pretty major and was supposed to be mid2017. If not end of 2017.
More than just more POI. Some actual interface updates he said.
Are you sure that they understood you had a 2013 wth Nav and DIS (standard on R-Spec)?

GenesisCaptain

Registered Member
Let us know if your chat with the folks at mapnsoft yields any positive feedback, as their website didn't have any useful info.
Mapnsoft dude said they do not have well-organized information regarding software, UI, feature, etc. changes to the first gen tech package nav systems. He said he will ask development and get back to me. I think this is a case where first-hand user experience may be more informative than the company who manages and distributes the software.

OUsig

Been here awhile...
McKinney TX
Genesis Model Type
Yes I had the system pulled up to confirm the last update done.
Maybe different setup vs the 2012 model.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I think this is a case where first-hand user experience may be more informative than the company who manages and distributes the software.
I would not expect Mapnsoft to know much about updates to a 2012 model Nav system.

Based on reading this forum for a number of years, and my recollection about people who posted about it, I suspect that any system changes (other than maps) were bug fixes, and not enhancements.

GenesisCaptain

Registered Member
Maybe different setup vs the 2012 model.
Yes, the 2013 update and radio/nav system is totally different than the 2012. It was a significant slipstream update. The 2013 radio has more internal memory and is capable of more feature updates. And, users can self-update the 2013+. The 2012- is dealer-only update. Unfortunately, Hyundai totally changed the wiring connections from 2012 to 2013, otherwise I would swap out my radio module for the 2013.

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
I had my '12 Premium Package Nav updated to a '14 version two years ago. It was actually a free upgrade. Hyundai contacted me. I'm sorry I did it because I preferred the original interface. My advice to the OP would be just to live with what you have. Use your smartphone to find anything that you can't find on your Nav screen.

2013_Genesis_Owner_MO

Did you know that the navigation maps have been "FREE" in Europe since 8 June 2016? Website (see SOURCE below) states "Know where to go - Hyundai offers free Lifetime MapCare™ * *Lifetime MapCare™ is the commercial term of Hyundai’s subscription to MapCare™ programme by which annual map updates will be provided for the eligible Hyundai vehicles for a minimum period of ten years after the model’s end of production." 8 June 2016 - Hyundai Motor Europe GmbH has launched its new Lifetime MapCare™* programme, providing free annual map and software updates for all Hyundai cars with a built-in navigation system from 2010 onwards.

SOURCE: https://www.hyundai.news/eu/brand/kn...ime-mapcaretm/

Not sure why HyundaiUSA is NOT doing the same thing for its US customers...GREED?

Have you recently gone to http://www.mapnsoft.com/ and did you notice there was a cost to download? How about $169! That's right MapnSoft / HyundaiUSA is charging US customers $169 for the upgrade and you have to download and install it yourself. Last time I asked dealer about doing an upgrade they directed me to MapnSoft website.

It will cost me $338 since I also own a 2013 Elantra Limited.

I wrote to HyundaiUSA and so far no actually contact. They called once but I was not available and then emailed me and I replied right away, actually I called back and emailed back twice but no replies. Hmmm...

2014BH38

Near Birmingham, Alabama
Genesis Model Type
Performed a SatNav update today. 2014 3.8...maps were still original 2013 installed by Hyundai. Didn't mind paying for catching up on 4 years. Cost is $169. I used the download to USB drive option. http://www.mapnsoft.com/hyundai/map-updates.html According to info on MapNSoft (MnSOFT) website, the update is for Operating System, POI, Maps/Roads, and Voice Recognition. Was not completely trouble free, but was manageable and I haven't had any system errors so far. It did take more then 60 min. Didn't loose radio presets, but did loose audio and display adjustments. GPS I had in my car before Gen (still fairly new owner) was a 4" Garmin...so quite an upgrade. 2013_Genesis_Owner, if you do hear from Hyundai regarding you nav update, please be sure to post, I will contact them about reimbursement. I have already noticed added roads, so I am satisfied.

2014BH38

Near Birmingham, Alabama
Genesis Model Type
Want to provide further info now that I have lived with the update for a month. I fully understand the money issue. Bought my wife a 6 inch Garmin last year for $190 that included life time maps. Great graphics, maps, and POI...a bargain for the function.

I have noticed that the Genesis/MAPnSOFT "nav update" has done more than that. Did update roads, also updated software and improved function. Graphics are better and animation is smoother, added better exit previews, and calculates quicker. Also has updated software and functions of all areas of DIS. Voice recognition has more function and does better job of recognizing commands. Obviously, everyone makes their own decision regarding the update. My opinion is that it is worth it...maybe makes more since to only update every 2 years. And in my case, it has made such a big difference, that I have no big objection and recommend that you do it.

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
I had this issue when we bought our 2012 3.8 tech/prem pkg in June of 2011. A year later I was being told it was going to cost about $300 to upgrade the map software! Yes. And I had friends at the local Hyundai dealer in town where we lived (SE Arizona). I raised such a stink to Hyundai that they essentially provided me a free one time map update. My friend in parts at the time told me the following reasons for this map goatrope:

As you know the nav upgrade comes on 6 discs (cd, dvd, I don't remember). Now they initially did sell them to the public for the owner to do their own update. However, the time to do this update is 3+ hours. During that time, you MUST have the car running, or turned on and put on a battery charger to keep the system "on"...what had happened was that many people had BRICKED their head units from botched self-installations, and well, you can guess the rest. So I got my one time update in 2012 and nothing for the past 6 years.

My parts friend DID at one time offer to get me the package so I could do it myself, but I took another job and moved to Central Ohio and essentially haven't spoken to him since I left Sierra Vista, AZ. I'm more than capable of doing this now, and since it would not even be a warranty issue, I'd like to UPDATE my system. It's too bad we don't have some Garmin conversion software, etc. As it is, the damn OEM NAV system is OK for the basic stuff, but I use my Garmin NUVI or Samsung droid for heavy lifting. Anyways, that's my 2 cents. I may try to call him and see if he still works there and see if he can order me the discs... who knows, may get lucky.

doug

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
UPDATE: I called my old Hyundai dealer but my buddy had left for another job. The fellow there did try to help but said that he doesn't even the map update that HE can order.....[sigh]... guess I'll just keep using the Garmin. At least I can get that updated FREE LIFETIME.

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
UPDATE.. Below is a reply to a message I sent MnSoft N. America a few days ago regarding map updates for my car. I swear this map update thing for a 2012 Genesis is a GOAT ROPE, and it's getting more and more frustrating:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Hello, xxxxxxxx. This is Marcial from MnSoft Of America. Unfortunately, The map update for your vehicle will be released in 1-2 weeks. It is also Dealer installation only. Please visit your local Hyundai Dealership once the map update has been released. Thank you!

Sincerely, Marcial

MnSoft North America Support
http://www.mapnsoft.com
http://www.mapnsoft.com/hyundai
http://www.hyundai-gpsmap.ca
http://www.kia-gpsmap.us
http://www.kia-gpsmap.ca
(888) 757-0010 or (714) 775-0727
2601 Main St #920, Irvine, CA 92614

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 7:43 PM, Contact Form <contact@hyundai-gpsmap.us> wrote:

Contacts information:
Your Name : xxxxxxxxx
E-mail Address : xxxxxxxxx
Model : Genesis
Year : 2012

Comment : I NEED to update the map/nav system on my 2012 Genesis 3.8L prem/tech pkg that we purchased NEW in June 2011. I had one update done by dealer in 2012, but since then, there have been no updates installed. The car is now 6+ years old and I want to update my maps and I KNOW how to do the upgrade. I called my Hyundai dealer parts and they don't even show the maps being available. SO, I'm writing you for assistance.

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

...and this was my reply to MnSoft:

"Thank you for your reply. My next question is why is this map update ONLY a dealer installation. My car is 6-7 years old and I want to update this myself. The car is out of warranty and I want somebody to give me a valid explanation as to WHY this is a dealer only item. This is like telling me that, even though I need to replace the brakes on my car, I can ONLY purchase and have the brakes INSTALLED at a Hyundai dealer. I know you don't set the policy but I'd like somebody to give me a valid answer. It's absolutely ludicrous that a map update for MY car that I OWN is not available to ME to purchase outright. If you have a contact at Hyundai I can talk to even better. Much appreciated. I'm sorry, but this navigation crap has been a THORN in my side since I purchased this car..."