2012 Tech Package Nav Map Update Thoughts?

GenesisCaptain

Registered Member
Hello, xxxxxxxx. This is Marcial from MnSoft Of America. Unfortunately, The map update for your vehicle will be released in 1-2 weeks. It is also Dealer installation only. Please visit your local Hyundai Dealership once the map update has been released. Thank you!
Thanks for the update. I was just in my dealer today and asked about the latest update. The 2018 is still not out, but I am hopeful it might be in soon.

Good luck on getting an answer to the dealer-only install. If I were going to guess, I think the truth is that the car must remain on for 3 hours, and they probably learned early in the life of the car that most civilians bricked their nav systems by killing the battery and interrupting the installation.

salcirabisi

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Indianapolis
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)

Metalman

Ontario East of Toronto
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I called my local dealer about the map update and they said in the fall is when the newest update normally comes out.I like to get mine updated it still has the orginal one.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Honestly you're better off buying a $100-150 Garmin or Tom Tom or similar portable GPS that has lifetime maps and POI's vs. spending $175 at Hyundai for a map that will be out of date in mere weeks or months.

They wanted $170 to update my 2015 Genesis map. Thanks but no thanks.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Honestly you're better off buying a $100-150 Garmin or Tom Tom or similar portable GPS that has lifetime maps and POI's vs. spending $175 at Hyundai for a map that will be out of date in mere weeks or months.

They wanted $170 to update my 2015 Genesis map. Thanks but no thanks.
Maybe, depends on how you use the features. Each has benefits, the biggest one is cost for the Garmin and lifetime map updates. Hard to beat.

The built in has a larger screen, especially on the ultimate. If you want to find a POI along the route, it is easy to find a hotel and call ahead to make a reservation. Garmin may have some of that but it is easier when integrated in the car. It is price though, but everyone has to decide what is best for their needs.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I did forget to note that Garmin is a good option if you don't have Android Auto or Apple Car Play. With AA, I can just use it for Google Maps/calling etc all via voice commands.

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
Bump. Anybody have any new info? It's Dec 2018 now and last update I had was 2012 or 13. I would really like to have udated info IN the NAV unit in the car. Getting old using a cellphone or old maps.

salcirabisi

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Indianapolis
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
Is this something that can be purchased used? Just need the discs, I have a battery charger to keep the battery from dying....

To be honest the update I got last year because Indianapolis continues to grow northward had a few new helpful updated maps but overall I'm not convinced.

Now I agree with you that having to use phones/GPS devices are annoying and a pain while the NAV in the cars goes unused. I would rather use the car's builtin NAV so I pay for the update although I will wait another year before I move on from v11.