2012 Trans fluid change

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Any videos out there? I read it's a 5 qt drain. Is there 1 drain bolt and 1 fill hole? I have 60k miles
Check the owners manual for the fluid change interval on the transmission. It takes a specific (and expensive) synthetic fluid and is not generally considered a DYI job (there is no drain plug at the bottom). Given that the drivetrain warranty is for 10 years - 100K miles (if you are the original owner or the car is CPO), I would not attempt this yourself.

shagnat

Registered Member
I keep reading about a 5 qt change there must be a drain plug for that
I'm pretty sure Mark888 is correct. This isn't a DIY job. And using original Hyundai fluid is paramount.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I keep reading about a 5 qt change there must be a drain plug for that
I don't have the owners manual for a 2012, but I believe it takes about 11 quarts. Where have you read that it takes 5 quarts?

No, there doesn't "need" to be a drain plug (at the bottom) because it is not a DIY job, and I believe that the fluid has to sucked out the top with a vacuum system (or maybe drop the pan). They make it hard because they don't want people messing with it unless they know what they are doing and to make sure the correct fluid is used.

MARTINO442

Registered Member
I don't have the owners manual for a 2012, but I believe it takes about 11 quarts. Where have you read that it takes 5 quarts?

No, there doesn't "need" to be a drain plug (at the bottom) because it is not a DIY job, and I believe that the fluid has to sucked out the top with a vacuum system (or maybe drop the pan). They make it hard because they don't want people messing with it unless they know what they are doing and to make sure the correct fluid is used.
I read that the drain is 5qts. Dealership want $230 for drain and refll

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
I have a 2011 4.6 and the pan is dropped and replaced with new pan. On mine the pan and filter are made as one unit. The 2012 uses a different transmission so I don't know the procedure on that one.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I read that the drain is 5qts. Dealership want $230 for drain and refll
I know you said you "read" that, but since I don't think it is correct, I wanted to see the exact quote you read.

You can read the Owners Manual to see how many quarts of fluid it takes. The fluid alone costs more than $230.

I am going to say this one more time: There is no drain plug that allows all the fluid to drain out by gravity (unless the pan is dropped), and it is not a DIY job.

hooker

Registered Member
I know you said you "read" that, but since I don't think it is correct, I wanted to see the exact quote you read.

You can read the Owners Manual to see how many quarts of fluid it takes. The fluid alone costs more than $230.

I am going to say this one more time: There is no drain plug that allows all the fluid to drain out by gravity (unless the pan is dropped), and it is not a DIY job.
There is a plug that drains 5 of 11 or so quarts out though. There's a guy on here who did his that had a jaguar with the same transmission (pre 2012). He changed the bottom pan and by the time you watch what he did you may decide against removing the pan but I would drain the 5 quarts and replace them.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
There is a plug that drains 5 of 11 or so quarts out though. There's a guy on here who did his that had a jaguar with the same transmission (pre 2012). He changed the bottom pan and by the time you watch what he did you may decide against removing the pan but I would drain the 5 quarts and replace them.
  • The 2009 - 2011 Genesis Sedan V8 used a ZF 6-speed transmission.
  • The 2009 - 2011 Genesis Sedan V6 used an Aisin 6-speed transmission
  • All 2012+ Genesis Sedans have used a Hyundai 8-speed transmission
Removing only 5 quarts of fluid of the 11 total does not sound that useful to me, and I would not consider that to be a "drain" plug. Is there another hole to put the 5 quarts back in?

hooker

Registered Member
  • The 2009 - 2011 Genesis Sedan V8 used a ZF 6-speed transmission.
  • The 2009 - 2011 Genesis Sedan V6 used an Aisin 6-speed transmission
  • All 2012+ Genesis Sedans have used a Hyundai 8-speed transmission
Removing only 5 quarts of fluid of the 11 total does not sound that useful to me, and I would not consider that to be a "drain" plug. Is there another hole to put the 5 quarts back in?
5/11=45% as far as usefulness goes. From what I've read the majority of the fluid remains in the torque converter. Some recommend doing 2-3 of these 5 quart drains to replace enough fluid to be meaningful. It may not be a complete drain plug but it is as much as you will get. What I find is less than useful is saying a critical fluid never needs to be changed, sealing it up completely and labeling it lifetime fluid. All that does is cover their ass until 100k miles goes by and the warranty expires and leaves you with a car whose transmission fluid has been degraded by time and heat. That is unavoidable. I'm pushing 60k miles on mine. When I do a 5 quart swap I'll spend the $30 to have the oil analyzed and every one can make a more informed decision on whether it is worth it to change out 45% of their transmission fluid at a time and how often they think they should. It's cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned vs a$6 to $8k new transmission.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
5/11=45% as far as usefulness goes. From what I've read the majority of the fluid remains in the torque converter. Some recommend doing 2-3 of these 5 quart drains to replace enough fluid to be meaningful. It may not be a complete drain plug but it is as much as you will get. What I find is less than useful is saying a critical fluid never needs to be changed, sealing it up completely and labeling it lifetime fluid. All that does is cover their ass until 100k miles goes by and the warranty expires and leaves you with a car whose transmission fluid has been degraded by time and heat. That is unavoidable. I'm pushing 60k miles on mine. When I do a 5 quart swap I'll spend the $30 to have the oil analyzed and every one can make a more informed decision on whether it is worth it to change out 45% of their transmission fluid at a time and how often they think they should. It's cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned vs a$6 to $8k new transmission.
I am not saying that after 100K miles one should not change the transmission fluid. But I would have the dealer do it instead of doing the 5 quart only change (out of 11 quarts that used). It's expensive, but the 11 quarts of fluid alone will cost $250 or more.

The above notwithstanding, the Hyundai Genesis transmissions (all three of them to date) use a specific kind of synthetic transmission fluid. The longevity of this fluid is fundamentally different from older transmissions that use non-synthetic fluid. So some of the rules of thumb that many use when it comes to auto maintenance, may not hold true anymore.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Anyone ever hear of a MACH2 Synthetic Universal Trans Fluid
Who pays for a new transmission if that fluid is not actually universal like they claim?

On the 2009-2011 Genesis, the V6 had an Aisin transmission, and the V8 had a ZF transmission. They both used synthetic fluid, but not the same one. Aisin used ATF 9638 spec and ZF used ATF M 1375.4 spec.

The Hyundai 8-speed (2012+) seems to use a spec called GS ATF SP-IV-RR.

A new 2012 Hyundai 8-speed transmission MSRP is about $8,400 plus labor.

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
Who pays for a new transmission if that fluid is not actually universal like they claim?

On the 2009-2011 Genesis, the V6 had an Aisin transmission, and the V8 had a ZF transmission. They both used synthetic fluid, but not the same one. Aisin used ATF 9638 spec and ZF used ATF M 1375.4 spec.

The Hyundai 8-speed (2012+) seems to use a spec called GS ATF SP-IV-RR.

A new 2012 Hyundai 8-speed transmission MSRP is about $8,400 plus labor.

+1

OUsig

Been here awhile...
McKinney TX
Genesis Model Type
Old thread I know but didn't want to start a new one.
I just got my transmission fluid changed at the dealership. They did a 5q drain (actually suck out) and fill. Cost $220
Hope to help clarify for anyone wondering.
I am at 87000 miles on my 2013rspec

Last edited:

Fgpalmer71

Getting familiar with the group...
I'm @ 63k miles and habe thought about going ahead and having mine done at the dealer. When I bought the car and took it in for a pre-purchase inspection they told me that I didn't need to worry about it until 100k. That makes me uncomfortable.....it would also make me uncomfortable to pay the dealer and only have 45% of the fluid changed.

Did they only do the 5 qts because that's what you requested or is that how they handle a tranny flush and fill normally?

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I'm @ 63k miles and habe thought about going ahead and having mine done at the dealer. When I bought the car and took it in for a pre-purchase inspection they told me that I didn't need to worry about it until 100k. That makes me uncomfortable.....it would also make me uncomfortable to pay the dealer and only have 45% of the fluid changed.

Did they only do the 5 qts because that's what you requested or is that how they handle a tranny flush and fill normally?
I believe that to completely replace all the fluid, they have to drop the pan, and it would be a lot more expensive to do that.

I know there are a lot of different opinions about when to change the transmission fluid, but with a transmission designed to use only synthetic fluid, the change interval is much longer than the older conventional transmissions.

Ambush

Registered Member
Carolinas
Old thread I know but didn't want to start a new one.
I just got my transmission fluid changed at the dealership. They did a 5q drain (actually suck out) and fill. Cost $220
Hope to help clarify for anyone wondering.
I am at 87000 miles on my 2013rspec
This is a topic that I will never be able to wrap my head around. Are they Hyundai dealers qualified to do this?
I still dont understand about our ZF (2012+) transmissions as they are sealed. If I take my car to the dealer to request a transmission fluid change and not EXCHANGE like they 1st offered me when I got the car? I dont trust that.