2013 Genesis 3.8 New 3rd Trannny 35k miles

showbo

Getting familiar with the group...
Hello all,

Jenny is back in the shop. Woke up Friday, normal day took my daughter to school, Car drove great as usual. I get back home and park outside to get some things and as I'm walking through my garage, I see the infamous red oil/fluid. I was like.... C'Mon Man! I reached down and touched the fluid and smelled it like I was in the woods tracking something, you know all manly like. I immediately call the dealership, they said not to chance it and have it towed.

Called Hyundai Assurance, easy as can be to get it towed so no big deal. They had to place a call to the 'Hyundai Tech Team' and wouldn't get an answer until Monday. Well Monday is here, and the Tech team stated with the history, going through two different parts that did not stop the leak and ordering a new transmission the first time around, they are just going to replace the whole transmission again.

Going to go pick up my rental tomorrow as it will be in the shop for however long it takes.

Thread here about previous issue http://genesisowners.com/hyundai-genesis-forum/showthread.php?t=13427

-Oscar

Last edited:

xiaphin

KDModerator
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Sorry to hear this, again... You going to part ways before she hits 60k miles so it can be sold as a CPO to someone else or are you all in at this point?

showbo

Sorry to hear this, again... You going to part ways before she hits 60k miles so it can be sold as a CPO to someone else or are you all in at this point?

You know. That's a good question. I have about 25 months before I hit that 5 year mark, and well about 25k miles before that 60k. Considering the tranny is being replaced a 2nd time, there is nothing* wrong with the car.

My payments are pretty low and I don't owe much. The 2nd tranny comes just what 17-18k miles later so I am going to see how it plays about for the next 20 or so months. If I even get one little drop of transmission fluid this time around though, I am done with it for sure. This and the Equus are the top notch cars of Hyundai. This is rare to happen, probably rare with almost any car I suppose, so the way I see it is that it has to happen to someone and that someone just happens to be me. It'll be alright, going to have to, that is what warranty is for!

-Oscar

showbo

Jenny is back in my hands, got her yesterday on the May 6th as they had her for 2 weeks exactly. Transmission this time around was a reman. Service tech stated that a seal on the torque converter had an ever so slight imperfection. Said it may have been enough to cause a leaking issue when hot. Not sure why it took 18k miles to start leaking, but that doesn't matter now. Hopefully this one sticks, if not may look into lemon law and see what I can do.

If lemon law comes up, I am not looking to stick it to anyone. I just want a reliable car that doesn't need a transmission every 16k or so miles.

-Oscar

qstarweb

Registered Member
Hyundai needs to examine their manufacturing process and figure out why a certain percentage of these 8 speed transmissions are ending up being trash. Most are probably flawless, but that does no good if you are among the few that get one that is poor quality. There has to be a way to make sure just about every transmission they put in a car they sell is top quality.

Dean

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
60k was mentioned. What about the 100k miles drivetrain warranty?

shagnat

Registered Member
100K drive train warranty is only good for first owner unless you by a "certified" CPO. A worthwhile endeavor.

showbo

Hyundai needs to examine their manufacturing process and figure out why a certain percentage of these 8 speed transmissions are ending up being trash. Most are probably flawless, but that does no good if you are among the few that get one that is poor quality. There has to be a way to make sure just about every transmission they put in a car they sell is top quality.

Dean

Funny you say it like that. Service tech in so many words said the same thing. These cars are supposed to be 'top of the line' and he doesn't know why a select few (in the grand scheme of things) have repeatable transmission issues.

No 100k here, did not buy CPO. And since I did not buy CPO I am the one chosen to have transmission issues. Isn't that how things in life work?

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums