• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Genesis owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

2013 Genesis R-Spec...CarPlay add-on

Silver5.0

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Hey guys, this is my first post here. I bought a very lightly used '13 Genesis R-Spec w/ 85k last month and I am in love with this car! I'm amazed at how far Hyundai has come.

I'm an R&D engineer with an 12v OE-integration company, so I'm currently working on adding CarPlay/Android Auto into my system. This car has the OE knob control (with extra page buttons) and full OE Nav, so I'm adding Android Auto via the OE A/V input. I'd rather it be a digital connection, but I can make this happen pretty fast so I'm going to go this route first, for now. I got the image on the screen using a Chinese universal unit and it looks pretty decent for being low resolution. If this project generates enough interest, I will likely make T-Harnesses and make it 99% plug & play to offer anyone who wants a kit for this specific system.

So here's something interesting, the screen in this Genesis (8" monitor), is actually a touchscreen, but Hyundai is not using it as such. As you're probably aware, for OEM, everything is only controlled via the control knob on the dash. My guess is that they only use the touch commands once they added the 'i-Box' in the next generation Genesis (DH). The touch-screen commands are on the main radio CAN bus, which we've already mapped out. So if all goes to plan, this add-on piece will be controlled via knob-control and touch screen!

I'll keep you all updated on the project as time goes on here.

photo_2021-12-10_13-19-27.jpg

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Wow I am so interested in this project. I'll be first in line to buy when you develop a PnP solution.

Silver5.0

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
So i've finally had some time to work on this today, and we're getting there. This is Android Auto, but you get the idea. CarPlay works the same way (and wirelessly). The T-harness is not yet finalized

Still need to tweak touch control a little and still need implement OEM microphone use, but overall it works pretty well. Activate by holding BACK button (which opens AV mode, bypasses video lock-out in motion and begins filtering knob-control. After an ignition cycle it will retain last known source state (ie will bring you back to CarPlay/AA if thats where you left it)

Can you believe all of this is on ONE connector at the radio? Wanting the final product to be 1 module, this dev kit consists of two modules

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Holy cr@p that's cool. Well done.
So quick question does a keyboard pop up when you access the search option in something like the map?

Silver5.0

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Holy cr@p that's cool. Well done.
So quick question does a keyboard pop up when you access the search option in something like the map?
No, no need. The intention of carplay/AA is to increase safety. Just press the mic and tell Google where to navigate, that's it!

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type

OUsig

Been here awhile...
McKinney TX
Genesis Model Type
Wow really cool indeed! I too would be interested in buying.

bemare

Hasn't posted much yet...
Will this work on 2009 4.6 genesis. The buttons are not the same as your 2013?

Silver5.0

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Will this work on 2009 4.6 genesis. The buttons are not the same as your 2013?
as it is right now, likely not

I'm pretty certain your radio stack is completely different. I'm achieving the visual & audio via the factory AV input... does your setup have an OE AV input?

If I could get the car in my hands we could potentially make it work

bemare

I am certain you can make it work. What you have accomplished you should be owning the company you work for. It seem to me you are in California (High Tech) and I am in Florida too far to see the car.

Silver5.0

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
I am certain you can make it work. What you have accomplished you should be owning the company you work for. It seem to me you are in California (High Tech) and I am in Florida too far to see the car.

Thanks for your kind words! It wasn't without help, I can assure you. I work with some smart people and we've all been doing this stuff a long time

I'm in Florida actually, near Ft Lauderdale

bemare

wow Jacksonville

Silver5.0

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
wow Jacksonville

yeah thats a haul

if this gets popular I'll get the other version with DIS control to be able to offer that kit as well. Just not sure the monitor on that one is a touchscreen (I doubt it)

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

bemare

The monitor might be the same it is also 8" with the 4.6. Also since you were able to bypass video lock-out in motion with out loosing any functions by itself could also be a possible product because the one that's out there looses the call function on the steering wheel as I remember it.

Silver5.0

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
The monitor might be the same it is also 8" with the 4.6. Also since you were able to bypass video lock-out in motion with out loosing any functions by itself could also be a possible product because the one that's out there looses the call function on the steering wheel as I remember it.

Yes there are 3 versions of these older 8" separate monitors, then a different OE touchscreen self contained unit, then there is a 9" on newer G80s. I believe the 09-12 is one of the other (3) style monitor's, but its tough to tell until you get in there and physically look

There's one what which loses functionality when bypassing video in motion? We're sending park to the radio only, only when in CarPlay mode. We initially thought it would only require breaking the speed sense wire, but we ended up having to filter gear on CAN as well.

katlis

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
This is very promising. Any way i can purchase the T-Harness now.

Silver5.0

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
This is very promising. Any way i can purchase the T-Harness now.

haha, nope. It works overall but it's a little buggy and I need more time to work on it! Also Going to wait until our new hardware is complete so that I don't have to rely on this Chinese carplay unit whatsoever...

jdewit

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Nice. I'm waiting for the disc set to arrive to update the GPS in my 2011 4.6l. This is a superior solution. Keep us posted.

sehguh1

Genesis Model Type
I'd be interested too for my '10 Genesis 4.6l. Please keep us posted. Thank you, Evan (Orange County, CA)

shahhere

Getting familiar with the group...
Montgomeryville, PA area
Genesis Model Type
Yes there are 3 versions of these older 8" separate monitors, then a different OE touchscreen self contained unit, then there is a 9" on newer G80s. I believe the 09-12 is one of the other (3) style monitor's, but its tough to tell until you get in there and physically look

There's one what which loses functionality when bypassing video in motion? We're sending park to the radio only, only when in CarPlay mode. We initially thought it would only require breaking the speed sense wire, but we ended up having to filter gear on CAN as well.
I have a 2012 with a tech package so are you saying it is a touch screen and just turned off in mine (mind blowing lol)?

Would AA work in mine as you noted 2013 so not sure how diff they are.

Shahhere