First Generation 2014 R-spec 5.0 BTR TCU and ECU dyno results

2black

Hasn't posted much yet...
Thread starter #1
I finally was able to take my R-spec to the dyno after purchasing both the TCU and ECU from Bloodtype Racing. Ive posted the results on Youtube as follows:

https://youtu.be/srGcTsabI8s

The long and short of it is that but for the cold start issues the car is very responsive and appears to be better in every dynamic. The lazy responsiveness of the transmission is vastly improved and the car is almost were it really should've been from the start. I think that this vehicle has vastly more capability but as everyone knows we are limited by interest.

I did previously dyno the vehicle last year with the RC2 intake and magnaflow achieving 361.93 hp and 350.31 lb ft of torque so the BTR tune at least for my vehicle yielded roughly 25 hp and 25 lbft of torque at the wheels.

Roc

Been here awhile...
Great results!!! What are the "cold start " issues? Any other idiosyncrasies? What was your total $$ outlay for each module? Any problems installing them?

I think 25 rwhp gain is seat noticeable, particularily since you have a comparison with basic mods. Assume same shop did both pulls.

2black

Thread starter #3
The car is definitely more linear in its responsiveness and yes you can most definitely feel the difference. Especially the lazy shifting of the oem set up when planting the gas. The starting issues causes me to having to hold the button down for a few seconds instead of a brief push and go. But for the increase in performance its a nuisance that Im willing to deal with.

Potty_Pants

Been here awhile...
Awesome thank you !

the Stability control always pissed me off when I wanted to do 0-60 glad they disabled that with the TC switch !

$1600 is too rich for my blood if I still had the Rspec.

Genesis Device

Agreed, $1600 is a lot of coin for 25 ponies (albeit rwp) but what can you do...this is the boat we're in.

Shame you can't get the TCU without the ECU in conjunction, that would be worth its weight in gold at just north of $500. Safe bet the stock ECU & modded TCU would not be friends. Having had a few tuned automatics, I always felt the increased responsiveness from the tranny was worth far more than the hp gain.

2black

Thread starter #6
Agreed, $1600 is a lot of coin for 25 ponies (albeit rwp) but what can you do...this is the boat we're in.

Shame you can't get the TCU without the ECU in conjunction, that would be worth its weight in gold at just north of $500. Safe bet the stock ECU & modded TCU would not be friends. Having had a few tuned automatics, I always felt the increased responsiveness from the tranny was worth far more than the hp gain.
This is my first Hyundai vehicle...having driven Audis where an intake can run several thousand dollars with negligible power gains...I have to say that I am pleased with the improvement in the vehicle even at this price point. The fun factor has been worth every penny...

draileyy

Company from Greece called Sprint Booster will take care of the sluggish transmission issue. 289 is what I paid if I remember. Button has stock mode, sport mode and what I like to call hold onto your seat mode.

Be warned, I cracked the bellhousing and had it replaced once already with added internal pressure from my guess during racing. Just have to let the trans rest periodically.

I don't work on cars but with a socket wrench and screwdriver was able to install behind the gas pedal in 10 minutes

- - - Updated - - -

What does your 0-60 look like afterwards?

Paul

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
@2black, that is awesome! I've been looking at the BTR stuff recently, and while $1600 is a lot of coin to drop but seeing how little there is out there for us in the line of ecu tuning... How have your interactions with BTR been as far in regards to customer support?
I emailed them a few times with some fairly basic questions in regards to their ecu's and they've yet to respond. I've had money in hand to spend on their ECU/TCU combo, but no response = no money spent on them.
That in itself is sort of a red flag to me.. especially after the debacle that I found myself in with the D-bags at R2C. Communication, both pre and post sale is a big deal to me.

Either way, I'm really happy to hear about the numbers that you put down. With 15-20% drivetrain loss, that puts you north of 450 at the flywheel.

2black

Thread starter #9
Haven't measured the car at the track yet

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't had a lot of interaction with BTR. They definitely aren't very responsive except via telephone. The parts didn't arrive when promised but they did arrive well packaged and as advertised. My experience with aftermarket vendors are that most are third party middlemen that stock nothing and drop ship most orders...so while most mean well they are at the mercy of the supplier...and the Korean market is not very reliable for the fringe models like ours. That's part of the experience I guess. My other car is an rs5 Cabriolet ...also v8 which has s limited aftermarket following and it's the same deal but the parts are 5 fold more expensive...good luck Bro because this is a GREAT car that's worth the struggle...

OUsig

Been here awhile...
I would (and I am sure many others) love to see some results at the track...I am quite interested to see how this car can put down any extra power.
I also agree that this drivetrain should have much more to give...and awesome to see your vehicle perform so nicely on the dyno.

Paul

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
@ 2black, thanks for that update. I think that I might seriously consider ordering the ECU/TCU setup. I dynoed my car about a month and a half ago and bone stock it made 350 hp and 337 ftlbs. For shits and giggles, we pulled the intake pipe off of the airbox, installed a velocity stack and saw 360hp/346ftlbs. The car feels pretty stout as it is, so I can imagine that another 15~20hp will make it feel proper sorted.
Since then, I've installed a WeaponR intake and have a Magnaflow on order. Once that shows up, I'll be installing a set of test pipes with it and taking it back to the dyno.
I'm actually pleasantly surprised with the WeaponR. The build quality is pretty good and fitment is great. It's too bad that we are so limited with aftermarket support because the V-8 Genesis is a complete sleeper just screaming for mods. The couple of times that I've played around with the Mustang/Challenger/Camaro crowd, the look on their faces was priceless when they found out that they went door to door or got beat by a Hyundai.

MG8

@2black i just got my tune , i was wondering if you experiencing a jerk while cruising 60 to 70 mph or when letting off accelerator ?

Paul

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
@MG8 Thanks for the update, I'm going to be attempting to get a hold of them on the phone eventually since they've still yet to respond to the last few emails that I've sent. Besides, between the new wheels, and exhaust not to mention a few new guns that I've purchased, my bank account needs a bit of a break for a couple of weeks. ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.