2015/2016 Generation Genesis "Dislikes"

powerslide

Registered Member
First off, I love the car and plan on buying one once it becomes more of a buyer's market. I could write more than most would want to read on what I liked. Having said that, there were a few small things that I thought could have been better.

1. Rear view visibility. The sight lines out the back were very limited.

2. Hood rigidity near the windshield. I drove a black 3.8 Tech AWD on a sunny day and the reflection off the flapping trailing edge of the hood got really annoying. I'm a tall guy (6'5") so maybe it is below the view of most drivers, but it was annoying to me. Afterward, I popped the hood to take a look. The reinforcing ribs on the inside of most hoods (that provide rigidity) were only present in the front corners. As a result, the rest of it is considerably floppy. I plan to test drive another color as I expect Black on a sunny day was the worst case scenario.

3. Throttle response*. The asterisk is because my drive was limited and I only squashed the gas a few times, but when I did, it seemed like there was a deliberate delay before the acceleration came on. The acceleration seemed fine, though. Maybe this is something that improves or goes away as the computer learns my driving style? Hope so...

4. Not so much a dislike as a concern. The under body panels are not made of typical plastic. Instead, they look like some sort of pressed non-woven material. I'm guessing it is for sound dampening and I'm sure it was tested, but the materials engineer in me isn't buying the long-term durability.

calbear88

Getting familiar with the group...
Re: 2015 Genesis "Dislikes"

The top of the dashboard is hard plastic, rather than the soft touch material on the first generation.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)

First off, I love the car and plan on buying one once it becomes more of a buyer's market. I could write more than most would want to read on what I liked. Having said that, there were a few small things that I thought could have been better.

1. Rear view visibility. The sight lines out the back were very limited.

2. Hood rigidity near the windshield. I drove a black 3.8 Tech AWD on a sunny day and the reflection off the flapping trailing edge of the hood got really annoying. I'm a tall guy (6'5") so maybe it is below the view of most drivers, but it was annoying to me. Afterward, I popped the hood to take a look. The reinforcing ribs on the inside of most hoods (that provide rigidity) were only present in the front corners. As a result, the rest of it is considerably floppy. I plan to test drive another color as I expect Black on a sunny day was the worst case scenario.

3. Throttle response*. The asterisk is because my drive was limited and I only squashed the gas a few times, but when I did, it seemed like there was a deliberate delay before the acceleration came on. The acceleration seemed fine, though. Maybe this is something that improves or goes away as the computer learns my driving style? Hope so...

4. Not so much a dislike as a concern. The under body panels are not made of typical plastic. Instead, they look like some sort of pressed non-woven material. I'm guessing it is for sound dampening and I'm sure it was tested, but the materials engineer in me isn't buying the long-term durability.
2. The previous generation can have an annoying reflection on the back edge of the hood at certain angles to the sun. But are you saying the reflection moves around because of too much flex in the hood? That is not good.
3. Lot's of complaints about throttle response in previous generation also.

italiabrain

Registered Member

-Lack of V8 AWD
-Lack of Heated Steering / Back Seat on Ultimate RWD
-Buttons left blank by missing features are in the DIS area instead of driver's knee where they should be.
-LED running light not used for turn signal like it is in the dual projector KDM (this could/should have been done without the dual projector light itself)
-Lack of a medium brown leather (also available KDM, and would seem to cost next to nothing to offer -- would have liked to see it replace the gray if necessary to be offered)
-I have to second the top of the dash issue. In order I would have preferred; whole thing leather, whole thing pleather, whole thing soft touch, whole thing hard. What I presume to be real leather (does Hyundai even have a fake?) around just the gauges looks worse than leaving the whole thing basic IMO.
-Excessive weight gain from 1st gen, including reduced acceleration (even allowing for content).
-Lack of foglights on the V6.

powerslide

Registered Member

2. The previous generation can have an annoying reflection on the back edge of the hood at certain angles to the sun. But are you saying the reflection moves around because of too much flex in the hood? That is not good.
3. Lot's of complaints about throttle response in previous generation also.
2."Flapping in the breeze" is too strong, but yes, there was a noticeable undulation of the trailing edge of the hood that made the reflection constantly change in size and intensity = annoying.

italiabrain

Registered Member

I'm a little concerned what a base model will look like with all the button blanks.
The lowest model doesn't have the DIS knob or most of the surrounding buttons. I've been following the V8 ultimate primarily so you'll have to forgive my ignorance, but I think the base V6 RWD has a strip of buttons instead of the whole DIS ring around the knob. In that strip the heated steering wheel will be the only blank on RWD models, and on base AWD models there are no blank buttons. (IIRC)

Ironically it looks worst on the V8 with 3 blanks around the DIS. When I went to the dealer I forgot to check the back seat buttons, but I think the V8 also has blank buttons around the rear control for the sunshade.

I still think I'm in the buy category overall, but I think I'm going to wait long enough for dealers to not be pushing for 100% of sticker on the V8.

wlk12

Getting familiar with the group...

Thanks for starting this thread, powerslide. Frankly, I was getting a little tired of reading all the superlatives for this car. It's nice to see some real world discussions of possible dislikes.
By the way, I don't expect to see any real deal breakers.

acecert

Registered Member
California

I'd like the drive mode to stay from the last option selected rather than returning to the default "Normal each time you shut off the engine.
I'd like the voice navigation to work better so that it is capable of entering addresses correctly.

jda8

Registered Member

I know this is extremely nit-picky, but the two things I don't like are:

1. The door handles are no longer padded or "soft." In my 2009 Genesis 4.6, all four door handle grips are covered in leather and are padded. When you grab the door handle grip to close the door, you're like, "Ahhhh that feels nice and luxurious." Same thing exists in the 2007-2012 Lexus ES 350. Anyway, in the 2015 Genesis, the door handle grabs are hard plastic and feel junky and cheap.

2. The vents in the dash are not symmetrical. Take a look at an interior picture. The two center vents aren't even identical-yet-inverted versions of each other; they're actually different sizes and shapes. Next, compare the two center vents to the two outboard vents - the two outboard vents sit lower on the dash. It looks stupid, asymmetrical, and crooked. Just not a fan of the new interior, period.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)

2."Flapping in the breeze" is too strong, but yes, there was a noticeable undulation of the trailing edge of the hood that made the reflection constantly change in size and intensity = annoying.
On 2009-2014 the hood was aluminum to save weight, and probably same in 2015, but I never have noticed any movement of the reflection on the hood (sometimes very annoying when driving into the sun).

powerslide

Registered Member

On 2009-2014 the hood was aluminum to save weight, and probably same in 2015, but I never have noticed any movement of the reflection on the hood (sometimes very annoying when driving into the sun).
I didn't notice it on the 2014 3.8 Tech or 2013 Rspec that I drove either.

Midnightsun

Been here awhile...
Montreal, Canada

They have nice big, black, great looking calipers up front but still have those zinc plated run of the mill looking calipers in the rear. :mad: For the life of me at least have them coated in black so they do not stick out like a sore thumb. Probably one of the first modifications along with the trunk emblem I will be doing. Ideally they should be both black and embossed with a Genesis logo IMHO.

gameday22

Been here awhile...
Florida

That's odd, did you try driving another one to see if it did the same thing? We had a V8 Ultimate doing everything from 65-130MPH around a track and nothing was flexing on the hood, at those speeds any significant flex would be highly noticeable and frankly quite disturbing. I'm wondering if it's because of how the V8's intake system is, it's totally different than the V6. The V8 draws air in through two massive intake ports off to each side where as the V6 is drawing the air in from center area of the hood. We didn't have a V6 of any sort with us on the track that day.

DEPOTDaddy

Registered Member

I had a 30 min road test in the 3.8 after looking with Rep. a couple of days
prior to avoid having to drive with a destracting sales person. This is car is
enjoyable to drive, I was immediately engaged feeling one with car. The seats
feel significantly better, softer response over bumps and uneven road, higher
dead pedal.

However, I did not like:

1. The windshield view/feel due it being flat
2. The rear view is more limited due to the stream lined angle and the center
headrest does not fold down as with the 1st Gen.
3. The sound of the engine was a bit odd, not refined that may improve after
break in.
4. The excelleration was delayed each time punched from 40 to 80 mph., able
to feel and hear the gear change, not in my Genny.
5. Did not like the top of the dashboard/glossy faux wood combo, felt cheap
not like in a true luxury car and the gloss reflected to much sunlight, the
matte will look better to me.
6. The use of brushed aluminum instead of chrome color for the exterior trim
is disappointing.:confused:
7. The rear trunk has not accent trim, to plain for those of us who love detail.
8. The smaller trunk space, not major but enough to mention.
9. The engine bay is not as impressive, just a cover but should look as good
as the first generation.
10. I missed the power the heft that I'm acustomed to my car, no trade in for
me this time around, it's too early.:rolleyes:

gameday22

Been here awhile...
Florida

I know this is extremely nit-picky, but the two things I don't like are:

1. The door handles are no longer padded or "soft." In my 2009 Genesis 4.6, all four door handle grips are covered in leather and are padded. When you grab the door handle grip to close the door, you're like, "Ahhhh that feels nice and luxurious." Same thing exists in the 2007-2012 Lexus ES 350. Anyway, in the 2015 Genesis, the door handle grabs are hard plastic and feel junky and cheap.

2. The vents in the dash are not symmetrical. Take a look at an interior picture. The two center vents aren't even identical-yet-inverted versions of each other; they're actually different sizes and shapes. Next, compare the two center vents to the two outboard vents - the two outboard vents sit lower on the dash. It looks stupid, asymmetrical, and crooked. Just not a fan of the new interior, period.
Go drive the car, especially a V8 ultimate with the black interior....of all the things your eyes have to pay attention to the vent's not being symmetrical doesn't even cross your mind unless your just being picky about interior design, I really like the new wood option that comes with the ultimate package. Yes it would have been nice for it all to be even but it's not a deal breaker. A black interior looks great on this car and gray is a close second, I really wish they would have left a peanut/brown leather option. What does matter to me is that the AC is super cold and overall the design is better than the previous generation....no it's not perfect, but as they get feedback from early adopters some interior and exterior changes are going to happen.

Things that need change IMO:

1) The trunk, gas and rear shade buttons need to be move back to the door and away from all the safety features, or if your going to keep them there make it so the trunk and gas cap buttons aren't operable while the vehicle is in motion. We accidentally hit the gas cap button a couple of times and the rear shade once when meaning to engage/disengage the LKA feature, the shade isn't that big of a deal but having the cap open while the vehicle is in motion is silly. The buttons are in an odd spot and their view is still partially blocked by the steering wheel.

2) It can use more interior lighting, having the panoramic sunroof took away quite a bit of the brightness inside the car.

3) I agree that they need to put more padding around the door handle area's, it does look and feel cheap by comparison to the previous generation. Also the dash in black is the only one that looks good to me, but no matter what color it is they really need to change the material being used as it detracts from the luxury feel.

4) The auto open trunk is nice but can use some improvements. If your manually opening the trunk the motor needs to let go and allow the trunk to open easily instead of having so much resistance.

5) The rear view camera needs to be HD quality.... kind of pointless to have such a great looking, crystal clear 9.2" HD display muddied by a poor camera image. I'd also like to see them bring the 360 view to our market.

6) No LED fog light option for V6

7) The "assistant" for navigation and car controls doesn't work well at all and mistakes/doesn't hear the commands being given more often then not, hopefully this is something that can be fixed with a software update.

8) The navigation itself is still sub-par in comparison to an inexpensive $99 Garmin, though as stated before I believe this is more of a failure on Hyundai MnSOFT side vs. the Navi system itself. Now that this system is SD card based and user serviceable the map updates should be happening 3-4 times a year for a reasonable subscription fee, right now their maps are so far out of date it's not even funny.

Now what I do like.......

Pretty much everything else about the car from the improved handling to noise reduction. All of the safety features are top notch and I absolutely love the HUD (maybe they give this option to stop you from staring at the non-symmetrical dash so much :D )

Alwaysforward

Been here awhile...
South Florida - Treasure Coast
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)

That's odd, did you try driving another one to see if it did the same thing? We had a V8 Ultimate doing everything from 65-130MPH around a track and nothing was flexing on the hood, at those speeds any significant flex would be highly noticeable and frankly quite disturbing. I'm wondering if it's because of how the V8's intake system is, it's totally different than the V6. The V8 draws air in through two massive intake ports off to each side where as the V6 is drawing the air in from center area of the hood. We didn't have a V6 of any sort with us on the track that day.
When you get a chance can you snap a pic of the V8 under the hood?

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD

The top of the dashboard is hard plastic, rather than the soft touch material on the first generation.
Is that across the board, or just for the base/lower trims?

Would add to that more leather covered surfaces (i.e. - glove box, around the center console - at least for the Ultimate), bring back leather trim option for those who don't care for wood trim, and make the door releases/paddle shifters out of metal.

Griped about this before and totally agree.

What were the decision-makers thinking?

You don't cheap out on the areas which get touched/handled the most!

Hard plastic at places which are rarely touched - sure, but not this.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.