IRequireFellatio

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I want to make my Genesis sound a smidgen, perhaps even a scintilla, more aggressive. Not Douchebaggishly loud. I'm looking for a nice, tasteful tone.

I'm thinking a resonator delete (still mulling over an X-pipe versus an H-pipe) to some sort of turbo mufflers out back. So far Borla XS' appear the most appealing, although I'm open to suggestions in this department. Aluminized steel is not an option.

My intake, cats, and pipe diameter will remain untouched. Since I live in MA, I need this setup to not only meet emissions requirements, but pass off as "stock" if questioned by people who care about that sort of thing. As such, I really can't get any louder than the proposed setup.

What does the internet think? Please don't recommend anything in the phylum of Dynomax VT's.

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I built a full 2.5" stainless manifold-back system with X pipe. This eliminates one set of cats, the resonator, and some bends and kinks. I tried race mufflers, drone at 2K was horrible, and it sounded like a built mustang 5.0 (which is logical if you think about it). It was terribly quick and powerful, there is a lot of untapped performance in the exhaust system.

I had to bring the sound back to something civilized, I got this for daily long distance driving. I put the stock mufflers back in with the upgraded pipes. Just the muffler, not any bit of the stock pipes. It still has a quiet cruise, zero drone, and you can hear it just fine now when you step on it, but it still has a rather significant power boost.

I did enlarge the 2" inlet to the mufflers to 2.5" with a hydraulic expander, but no other modifications to the mufflers themselves.

To me it is the best of both worlds: performance gains, without penalty. Now I can hear what is going on, and don't have to listen to "race car" sounds.

IRequireFellatio

Genesis Model Type
I looks like 2.25 inches to me.
Sauce? I remember reading that the older Port-Injected Tau's ran 2.25" pipes, but they also put out a lot less power (370-something IIRC)

Probably gonna end up calling a Hyundai dealer and getting a VIN-specific answer

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
Sauce? I remember reading that the older Port-Injected Tau's ran 2.25" pipes, but they also put out a lot less power (370-something IIRC)

Probably gonna end up calling a Hyundai dealer and getting a VIN-specific answer
Good idea!I had my 15 5.0 on some jack stands last weekend and to me it looks to small to be 2.5. I have done my fair share of exhaust work and 2.25 looks to be the ticket. Let us know what you find out. Thanks

IRequireFellatio

Genesis Model Type
I'll post some hard facts once I get them

Exhaust diameter aside, will an open crossover pipe to Borla XS (or Dynomax Super Turbos, etc) work? I'd like to remain under the guise of "stock" with just a bit more beef. None of that crackling Stuhlgang

Think of how a stock SS/SRT would sound (Not a fan of the RaspStang)

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Not doing this

Are you sure it's 2"? Seems kinda small. Based on output and displacement I would assume Hyundai would use 2.5" piping
There are no O2 sensors after the second pair, besides reduced back pressure, the engine and Ecu don’t know they are gone.

exhaust contracts as it cools, , and cools as it gets further from the engine. reducing diameter of piping keeps velocity uniform down the system. This is a common design for OEM.

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I'll post some hard facts once I get them

Exhaust diameter aside, will an open crossover pipe to Borla XS (or Dynomax Super Turbos, etc) work? I'd like to remain under the guise of "stock" with just a bit more beef. None of that crackling Stuhlgang

Think of how a stock SS/SRT would sound (Not a fan of the RaspStang)
How bout I just measure it for you? The whole system is in my loft, minis the muffler that I recycled.

IRequireFellatio

Genesis Model Type

IRequireFellatio

Genesis Model Type
How bout I just measure it for you? The whole system is in my loft, minis the muffler that I recycled.
If you could that would be cool. I'll still chime in with whatever the Hyundai Dealer says, as well as the parts guys at my dealership

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No loss of torque, no downside that I could find in my setup.

IRequireFellatio

Genesis Model Type
No loss of torque, no downside that I could find in my setup.
In that case I'll probably pipe 2.5" from the cats on, since I'll be removing large chunks of the stock pipe anyways.

Currently the proposed setup is as follows:

2.5" piping from the cats back
X pipe (or H, depends on how I feel that day) right after the cats, no resonators
2.5" I/O Borla XS
Y pipe to facade tips

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
In that case I'll probably pipe 2.5" from the cats on, since I'll be removing large chunks of the stock pipe anyways.

Currently the proposed setup is as follows:

2.5" piping from the cats back
X pipe (or H, depends on how I feel that day) right after the cats, no resonators
2.5" I/O Borla XS
Y pipe to facade tips

So the digital calipers confirmed is is not Metric (which is what I expected from my work on Japanese exhausts).

It's 2-3/8" OD at the manifold cat flange to the second cat, 2-1/4" OD from the back of the second cat to the resonator, and 2-1/8" from the outlet of the resonator all the way to the mufflers. There are some significant flat spots pressed into the 2-1/4 pipes to clear a bracket, it's not true 2-1/4 most of the way, which was completely un-neded. I had no problem getting 2-1/2 to fit through there.

FWIW, I put resonators in my system where the stockers go, and it was still terribly loud with the race muffler, I don't think they do much but add cost and complexity in the system I used.

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
So the digital calipers confirmed is is not Metric (which is what I expected from my work on Japanese exhausts).

It's 2-3/8" OD at the manifold cat flange to the second cat, 2-1/4" OD from the back of the second cat to the resonator, and 2-1/8" from the outlet of the resonator all the way to the mufflers. There are some significant flat spots pressed into the 2-1/4 pipes to clear a bracket, it's not true 2-1/4 most of the way, which was completely un-neded. I had no problem getting 2-1/2 to fit through there.

FWIW, I put resonators in my system where the stockers go, and it was still terribly loud with the race muffler, I don't think they do much but add cost and complexity in the system I used.
Nice job Chad86tsi . Nice to get some good info. This forum is a Awesome place to learn about our beloved Gennys!

IRequireFellatio

Genesis Model Type
It's 2-3/8" OD at the manifold cat flange to the second cat, 2-1/4" OD from the back of the second cat to the resonator, and 2-1/8" from the outlet of the resonator all the way to the mufflers.

Excellent work dude

Looks like I'll just maintain the 2.25 throughout the rest of the exhaust then. I've also decided an H-Pipe is more my style.

And there you have it. If and when I get this done I'll post some vidya

IRequireFellatio

Genesis Model Type
Update: still bone stock!

But I did have a thought... what if I replace the resonator with a dual-in-dual-out muffler and just run 2.25" tails to the tips? The Borla ProXS is offered in that configuration and even features a built in X-pipe. This will also open up my options to a Chambered muffler (which is also capable of scavenging), not to mention is a bit cheaper.

Wat do

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums