2015 3.8 Sedan ....shimmy. Any ideas

Bob G

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I was about to buy a cherry 2015 3.8 Genesis with super low miles (4,200 miles) and loaded... but when I test drove it it had a very slight shimmy. The vibration was more felt in my body than through the steering wheel. I HATE to walk away from this low mileage, beautiful automobile BUT I was scared the issue may be serious. The car had Michelins and needless to say they looked virtually new. Is anyone aware of potential problems. The obvious thought is that the tires are "square" from sitting for a long period. Based on CarFax the car was driven approx 2000 miles the first year then <1,000 each subsequent year. I'd love your thoughts. Finally, If I do break down and buy the car I will buy new tires...what brand/style is suggested (I know they are 245/45R18 size). Thanks in advance for your comments.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Why aren't you telling the sales person that the car has the issue and until it's fixed, you can't give them an offer. Simple.

Bob G

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Why aren't you telling the sales person that the car has the issue and until it's fixed, you can't give them an offer. Simple.
Did that. They took off all wheels and balanced them. Still shimmied, just not as severe. The car is very marketable so they wouldn’t commit to fix for me. Car has 4K miles and its a Mercedes dealership - they don’t have expertise with Hyundais

Whitey

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Did that. They took off all wheels and balanced them. Still shimmied, just not as severe. The car is very marketable so they wouldn’t commit to fix for me. Car has 4K miles and its a Mercedes dealership - they don’t have expertise with Hyundais

Stipulate that the car has to go over to the local Hyundai dealer for a complete diagnosis first; then you'll know if something is really wrong. It's great that a car has that low of miles, but cars need to be driven and not good for them just to sit around. It may be perfect, but better to know first then after you've pulled the trigger. Assuming it's one-owner, so as #2 you still get 5/60, so get it checked out.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums