2015 5.0 V8 HTRAC/AWD engine stalled while driving and all electronics shut off

ssphull

Hasn't posted much yet...
2015 5.0 V8 HTRAC engine stalled while driving and all electronics shut off

So, I have the 2015 V8 with the HTRAC (as I am in Canada) with 38K kms on it, I am the first owner, bone stock, no accidents. Here are my issues:

1. A month ago I get an error saying to get the haptic feedback system should be checked, say it two times and then it disappeared

2. Last two weeks or so I get into the parked car and fire the ignition, car starts and in a second or so stalls. By stalling I mean all the electronics in the car shut down along with the engine cutting out. The car wouldn't respond to the remote clicks, the power unlock button won't work either, pressing the ignition to accessory mode doesn't work, the door lights are also off etc and it won't start. The whole car is seized. After the panic attack subsides :) I fire it up in less than 5 mins and everything is back to normal. No engine check light no errors, but I notice that all the settings have gone to factory levels, e.g. displaying temp in F instead of C, one click turn settings etc. everything reset. The setting controlled via the navi screen remains intact.

3. This has happened randomly around 10 times in the last two weeks. Happened during cold start, also warm start, I changed the remote fob batteries. Sometimes the car settings are reset, sometimes not, but same symptoms described above and it will start with in 5 minutes. Took it to the local dealership on Fri 16 Dec, no error/fault codes, they can't replicate the issues and give the genny a clean bill of health.

4. Today morning 25 minutes into the work commute driving mostly on back roads in -11 Celsius weather, I reach my intended highway and start accelerating on the ingress ramp, as soon as I hit 100 kph/60 mph or so, the car dies as described above, complete engine shut down which violently shakes the car, all electronics shut down. As I am freaking out and pulling into the break down lanes it starts up automatically and all electronics are restored all within say 15 seconds or so with the car still in motion. I come to a full stop check the dash, everything is normal, temp gauge is good, petrol is at 25% level, engine running smoothly. I stop the engine and restart the car and

5. Drove straight to the dealership and they plugged in it and no errors codes. They say car is fine, they will call Hyundai Canada to see what needs to be done. I call it a day and come home, park my car on the driveway for 2 hours in -1 Celsius. I decide to get a cup of coffee and hop into the car and it starts and stalls. Pardon my language but my use of WTF is justified. I haven't attempted to start it again, I have called a flat bed tow truck and I am going to the stealership to see if they can pull any codes, I thought if i get it to start I may loose the codes. But I suspect they won't get any codes this time, but lets see. I think its the main ECU, as its not logging any codes?

Someone please offer me advise on what I should do next.

Last edited:

DavidHanLee

Registered Member
First thing I'd check is for a loose battery terminal connection. Seems petty but it might help hopefully.

ssphull

Thanks for replying. I had checked the battery connection which is in the trunk and it looked legit.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I recall reading some other threads where owners said there was bad connection in the electrical system, but not at the battery itself. The dealer was able to finally figure it out and fix it. It may have been a connection that was painted and not bare metal or something, but I forgot the details. Sounded like it was a known issue for certain manufacturing/assembly dates for the Genesis.

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
In the US, there were two recalls related to water penetration: one on the rear tail light and another one around the winshield somewhere. It's probably a stretch, but has Canada had the same? And if so, have you had them done?

rogerlange

Registered Member
vancouver canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Re: 2015 5.0 V8 HTRAC engine stalled while driving and all electronics shut off

check the positive battery terminal box in the trunk mine was so loose I lifted it right off the terminal with one hand. once they replaced the part the problem went away

jonjon72

Registered Member
Give the Hyundai customer service line a call. I had a dealership issue last year with the tail light leak recall and gave them a shout. Genesis owners get a different line and upgraded service. They dealt with the issue, received an apology call from the dealership manager and even some nice gifts for the trouble I went through.

I also have the 2015 5.0 AWD and in RIchmond Hill. Haven't encountered the issues you mentioned and at 56,000K.

ssphull

First thing I had checked both the terminal connectors are air tight. Thanks for replying.

check the positive battery terminal box in the trunk mine was so loose I lifted it right off the terminal with one hand. once they replaced the part the problem went away

- - - Updated - - -

Good idea. I have called and the call center is closed for the holidays. I have sent them an email instead so let's see.

Give the Hyundai customer service line a call. I had a dealership issue last year with the tail light leak recall and gave them a shout. Genesis owners get a different line and upgraded service. They dealt with the issue, received an apology call from the dealership manager and even some nice gifts for the trouble I went through.

I also have the 2015 5.0 AWD and in RIchmond Hill. Haven't encountered the issues you mentioned and at 56,000K.

- - - Updated - - -

I would imagine the recalls apply to Canadian cars too. The recall was before I purchased the car so I will check with the dealership.

In the US, there were two recalls related to water penetration: one on the rear tail light and another one around the winshield somewhere. It's probably a stretch, but has Canada had the same? And if so, have you had them done?

- - - Updated - - -

I am guessing that's what it is, the wiring harness from the battery to the ECU or the ecu itself because the car unlock button would not work. Maybe it's the alternator or perhaps the engine immobilizer is being invoked. I am just super pissed...

IIRC, one guy had a bad wiring loom that caused something like this.

- - - Updated - - -

It does make sense, I couldn't find this thread. If you or anyone else comes across it please post the link here. Thanks.

I recall reading some other threads where owners said there was bad connection in the electrical system, but not at the battery itself. The dealer was able to finally figure it out and fix it. It may have been a connection that was painted and not bare metal or something, but I forgot the details. Sounded like it was a known issue for certain manufacturing/assembly dates for the Genesis.

Last edited:

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Good luck; please let us know how it turned out.

ssphull

Dealer called and says hyundai engineers asked them to replace the fuse box which is enroute

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums