2015 Equus Subwoofer Upgrade

Clampetron

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I know there are a lot of threads regarding this topic but none that I found addressing my goal.
I have a 2015 Equus that seems to lack proper bass response. I want to upgrade.
I do not want to replace with a box in the trunk. I want to do a plug and play replacement of the existing speaker in the back deck with a much better speaker. No trunk encroachment, no in-depth re configuring of the system, etc.

Am I asking too much? Not that simple?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200125_083623.jpg
    20200125_083623.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 15

brucehulkbanner

Hasn't posted much yet...
MD
It can be done. You have to remember it's still only a single 8 inch woofer being powered by the factory amp. Bass response will improve with a better 8 inch sub but not significantly. Any audio shop should be able to give you an estimate.

Clampetron

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
It can be done. You have to remember it's still only a single 8 inch woofer being powered by the factory amp. Bass response will improve with a better 8 inch sub but not significantly. Any audio shop should be able to give you an estimate.

Thanks for the response. Off to the car stereo shop!

Dannysmiles13

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Ever get anything done?

kocyk123

Registered Member
Gilberts, IL
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I am not sure if this will be helpful but I was lacking bass in my 2015 Genesis Sedan Ultimate with 17 speaker Lexicon. I didn't want to add another sub that would take up space in the trunk. I installed new amplifier and plugged it into existing sub as the OEM amp was under powered. What a night and day difference. It feels like I have additional sub in my trunk now. If you are in Chicago area, I can help.

Dannysmiles13

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I am not sure if this will be helpful but I was lacking bass in my 2015 Genesis Sedan Ultimate with 17 speaker Lexicon. I didn't want to add another sub that would take up space in the trunk. I installed new amplifier and plugged it into existing sub as the OEM amp was under powered. What a night and day difference. It feels like I have additional sub in my trunk now. If you are in Chicago area, I can help.

What kind of amp did you use?

kocyk123

Registered Member
Gilberts, IL
Genesis Model Type
I have use the following amp:

KICKER - CX 400W Class D Digital Mono Amplifier with Variable Low-Pass Crossover - Black

You can go with lower wattage.

Installation was very simple, locate the oem amp, locate 2 sub wires + and - going from the amp to the sub. Cut them. Run + and - to the new amp input. Add new wires to the Speaker output in your new amp and connect them with the wires going to the oem sub.

You will need rca female to 2 male adapter:
1586207557230.png

This is how I installed it:
1586207574732.png

princelybug

SUSTAINING MEMBER
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Any photos of the install?

kocyk123

Registered Member
Gilberts, IL
Genesis Model Type
Not yet. I will be working on the tutorial this week. Is your also Lexicon with 17 speakers?

princelybug

SUSTAINING MEMBER
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)

How much rattle?

kocyk123

Registered Member
Gilberts, IL
Genesis Model Type
Yeah. The Equus came factory with it
Awesome. Adding amplifier will do it. You don't need additional sub.

How much rattle?
No rattle at all. Bass sounds like in new G90. I couldn't believe the difference.

princelybug

SUSTAINING MEMBER
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Per Crutchfield:
  • There's a shallow mount 8" sub on the center rear deck:
1586222546217.png
  • There's a pair of 3" mid-range components on either side of the sub:
1586222433977.png

Is there anyway to find out the specs of these?

kocyk123

Registered Member
Gilberts, IL
Genesis Model Type

_koom

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Per Crutchfield:
  • There's a shallow mount 8" sub on the center rear deck:
View attachment 28069
  • There's a pair of 3" mid-range components on either side of the sub:
View attachment 28068

Is there anyway to find out the specs of these?
Bump, was anyone able to find out the specs? I would like to either add a new amp for the existing 8" sub to my '14 Equus, or just add another sub and amp entirely (which I already have from a previous car).
I have been looking at basically every resource google will give me concerning the audio system specific to this car, and not much information comes up. I am having an extremely difficult time even locating the correct wires on the amp side of the car, or how to access the speaker-side wiring from the trunk.
The only wiring diagram available I can find is this one at heqmanual: Hyundai Equus: External AMP Components and Components Location - Premium AVN System - Body Electrical System - Hyundai Equus VI 2009-2020 Service Manual
It also seems to be the exact same image that alldata uses... but it's quite confusing. For example it lists *two* subwoofer wire pairs, except there is only one sub in this car. And what are these two pairs exactly? Are they signal inputs from the radio? Are they amplified outputs for powering the sub directly? Who knows. I can't even figure out how to properly remove all of the trunk lining enough to get to the connectors comfortably. Would it be better to try to split the SPDIF signal instead and then convert that to stereo RCA for the new amp? After hearing about the stock amp's sensitivity to ohm changes mentioned in other topics here it sounds like that might be a safer/cleaner solution but I don't know.
Also I would *much* rather not cut into the stock wiring and use some kind of extension harness or pigtail inbetween the stock amp and wire harness so that I can cut into *that* instead, but I cannot find *any* information on existing products that either 1. are compatible with this car or 2. use the correct connector on both ends (it looks like one of several different TE parts, like 175567, 917992, 917994 or 178885). Are there even companies that sell or could make such a cable given the right connectors?
Thoughts?

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums