2015 G80 3.8L With 191,000 Miles. Buy or Pass?

jcal03s

Boston, Massachusetts
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hi All,

I'm trying to talk my cousin into buying a coworkers company car. 2018 G80 3.8L with 191K on the clock. It has it's fair share of wear but has strictly been highway driven it's entire life, as he is our traveling salesman. Meticulously maintained, no expense spared, by our company. Recent brake service. Burns a little oil but of course it does it has almost 200K. The only issue it has is that sometimes the CEL comes on. Dealer told him it's the cats on their way out. However, if you drive it hard and clear it up, CEL goes off. Should be enough to get it inspected successfully in MA. Drove the car really hard today and it feels great. You'd never know it has so many miles on it by the way it drives. Like a bank vault. A little more body roll than my 2019 G70 3.3T 😂, but honestly for such a big car I was very impressed.

Anyone else have a very high mileage example? Anything I should specifically look out for?

PS. The company is selling me the car for $6500. So it's a real steal especially considering the used car market right now. This thing is fully loaded. HUD, cooled seats, parking sensors, radar cruise, ect. Top trim. (Wish it had the 5.0).

Attachments

• IMG_20210720_090534.jpg
    IMG_20210720_090534.jpg
    629 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210720_090525.jpg
    IMG_20210720_090525.jpg
    590.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
At $6500 it would probably be a good deal if not for the oil burning and check engine problem. I've had cars past 250K miles with no oil burning. That would concern me greatly.

jcal03s

Boston, Massachusetts
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
At $6500 it would probably be a good deal if not for the oil burning and check engine problem. I've had cars past 250K miles with no oil burning. That would concern me greatly.
I'll try and get more info on the oil burning. Pretty sure he said only about a quart every 4-5K miles.

CEL doesn't effect the drivability at all. Going to bring a scanner in on Thursday to check stored codes. Cousin is going from a 2007 Ford F150 rotting to pieces and hasn't had an inspection sticker in years, so a come and go CEL because of cats isn't a big deal by comparison.

Last edited:

Andyj

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
bulletproof limo. valves may need a carbon cleaning.

greekgeek

Registered Member
Yeah hard to beat that price, would take it in for oil burn diagnosis though. Could be fouling the cat?

Even at the low cost of entry, ish is expensive to fix should it go wrong, so better have a repair budget on standby.

Sounds like a buy to me, maybe check on cost or bearings etc.

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
A quart every 4 or 5k isn't that bad.... Some newer "high performance" cars burn a quart every 1k, supposed to be "normal" - Although I call BS on that.

A pre-purchase inspection is critical with those kind of miles though.

As having a 91k 2015 5.0, I'm glad to see that they'll can make it for that long.

Markymark

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Yeah, I worry a little bit about my 2015 5.0 with 90K. My warranty expires in 2 days!

I would not be too worried about burning through a quart every 3-4K as long as it's not an oil leak. And as long as you are sure it was highway miles, it seems an OK deal. The 2.8L V6 used in older Passats and Audis were designed to do that. I'd be curious what others think about this though.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hi All,

I'm trying to talk my cousin into buying a coworkers company car. 2018 G80 3.8L with 191K on the clock. It has it's fair share of wear but has strictly been highway driven it's entire life, as he is our traveling salesman. Meticulously maintained, no expense spared, by our company. Recent brake service. Burns a little oil but of course it does it has almost 200K. The only issue it has is that sometimes the CEL comes on. Dealer told him it's the cats on their way out. However, if you drive it hard and clear it up, CEL goes off. Should be enough to get it inspected successfully in MA. Drove the car really hard today and it feels great. You'd never know it has so many miles on it by the way it drives. Like a bank vault. A little more body roll than my 2019 G70 3.3T 😂, but honestly for such a big car I was very impressed.

Anyone else have a very high mileage example? Anything I should specifically look out for?

PS. The company is selling me the car for $6500. So it's a real steal especially considering the used car market right now. This thing is fully loaded. HUD, cooled seats, parking sensors, radar cruise, ect. Top trim. (Wish it had the 5.0).
With that many mile I'd expect some oil use. Same with the cats. Get a price and factor that in as you will probably need them soon.

Price is good. Any high miles car is a bit of a crap shoot but if you realize that up front you won't be upset if something breaks. I'd look at is as if I'm paying $10,000 for it, most now, more later.

Andyj

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Sounds like a fair deal if you factor in some expected maintenance especially with the sky high prices of used cars today.

SappG

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Cars with that many miles the code could just be O2 sensors if they haven’t been replace. The oil consumption is not uncommon but unusual for that newer car. Remember that these cars are port injected so there’s a lot of carbon build up. The price is a good check the service history to know what has been done. That will give you a better indicator of what may need to be done after purchase or you maybe able to negotiate some.
Good luck! (Laboring under correct knowledge)

Andyj

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
score

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Thanks all for your replies! I managed to talk my company down to $4,000. An absolutely insane bargain. If cats are in the cards so be it; we basically stole this car.
Good deal. The 2015+Genesis power-train seem to be solid and very well engineered from over a decade of updates; so most of the repairs should be fairly inexpensive ones compared to buying a lower mileage Genesis with monthly payments.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners