2015 Genesis Flickering headlights

laneandmichaedl

I've read several posts about the same issue. Others have recognized it is only when using turn signals. I can't identify that to be the same for me, yet. It has only happened twice that I know of so far. Once last week in daylight. I might have just changed lanes, can't remember. I noticed the display showed headlight screen for a moment then went away. Tonight I was at a stop sign with signal on, made the turn and the lights flickered on and off a few times and I noticed the display showed the headlight setting screen, then went away after lights stabilized. This happens so quickly, it will be hard to film it. My car just passed 5 years on the warranty just two months ago. Mileage is only at 26,000. I'm assuming this will not be covered under warranty? I'll try to catch it on film, but I know this is going to be difficult. My lights setting is always on auto.

armstsho2015

Registered Member
Mississippi
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I've read several posts about the same issue. Others have recognized it is only when using turn signals. I can't identify that to be the same for me, yet. It has only happened twice that I know of so far. Once last week in daylight. I might have just changed lanes, can't remember. I noticed the display showed headlight screen for a moment then went away. Tonight I was at a stop sign with signal on, made the turn and the lights flickered on and off a few times and I noticed the display showed the headlight setting screen, then went away after lights stabilized. This happens so quickly, it will be hard to film it. My car just passed 5 years on the warranty just two months ago. Mileage is only at 26,000. I'm assuming this will not be covered under warranty? I'll try to catch it on film, but I know this is going to be difficult. My lights setting is always on auto.
There's a recall for the turn signal lever. 15 years and unlimited mileage. I don't know what the criteria is for determining which are covered models.

Brutus262

Genesis Model Type
My lights also flicker when I leave them on auto and use turn signal. Started a few months ago and took it to the dealer they told me I needed new headlights. They where going to charge me $300 I think a piece. I ended not having it done. For now I turn them on manually and haven’t had a problem. Last month I got the notice from Hyundai about warranty on the turn signal stock. Thinking about asking about it on my next oil change.

laneandmichaedl

My lights also flicker when I leave them on auto and use turn signal. Started a few months ago and took it to the dealer they told me I needed new headlights. They where going to charge me $300 I think a piece. I ended not having it done. For now I turn them on manually and haven’t had a problem. Last month I got the notice from Hyundai about warranty on the turn signal stock. Thinking about asking about it on my next oil change.
You got a notice about a warranty on the turn signal stock or a recall?

Brutus262

Genesis Model Type
You got a notice about a warranty on the turn signal stock or a recall?
Notice from Hyundai just said that it was under warranty through them. Forget how many years but I do remember it said unlimited miles. It did not say anything about recall.

sheltn4

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I've had this same issue twice, I have a 2013 Genesis R Spec. The first time when my lights would flicker while using the turn signals, the car was still under warranty. So it was fixed for free, the multi function switch was replaced. Fast advance 3 years and I am experiencing the same issue again! But of course, the dealership balked at repairing again for free since the car is no longer under warranty. I believe this to be a safety issue and I have lodged a complaint with the NHTSA. There are already several complaints registered with the NHTSA. If everybody who is having this issue register a complaint with the NHTSA, it might inspire Hyundai to do the right thing and issue a recall for this safety issue. I believe the TSB #20-BE-009H notice that was issued is only for a couple years models 2015 - 2016. This issue is obvious far more widespread then just a couple model years.

Last edited:

sheltn4

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
There's a recall for the turn signal lever. 15 years and unlimited mileage. I don't know what the criteria is for determining which are covered models.
I've had this same issue twice, I have a 2013 Genesis R Spec. The first time when my lights would flicker while using the turn signals, the car was still under warranty. So it was fixed for free, the multi function switch was replaced. Fast advance 3 years and I am experiencing the same issue again! But of course, the dealership balked at repairing again for free since the car is no longer under warranty. I believe this to be a safety issue and I have lodged a complaint with the NHTSA. There are already several complaints registered with the NHTSA. If everybody who is having this issue register a complaint with the NHTSA, it might inspire Hyundai to do the right thing and issue a recall for this safety issue. I believe the TSB #20-BE-009H notice that was issued is only for a couple years models 2015 - 2016. This issue is obvious far more widespread then just a couple model years.

Last edited:

MrBrady

Registered Member
I have the same issue on my 2014 Genesis R-Spec sedan. Pretty sure it's the stalk. When the lights are in "auto" mode, it does not flicker. But if I manually turn the lights to "on" and use my turn signal, they'll flash off and on very briefly when I first move the stalk.

fourthirteen

Hasn't posted much yet...
1D24E76B-FC12-4FDE-BA67-11D9314539D9.jpeg I’ve been having the flickering problem on my 2014 Genesis for several years and finally broke down and purchased/installed a new stalk, so I thought I’d do a little “forensic” testing and disassembly of my old stalk to see what was causing the flickering problem.
I tracked it down to intermittent loss of continuity in the contacts of the rotating knob at the end of the stalk. The photo shows the sliding contacts between the knob and the stalk. A combination of wear on the contacts, increasing looseness of the knob over time, and the presence of the non-conductive grease (that provides the silky smoothness) results in an occasional loss of continuity between the spring-loaded tab in the knob and the contact on the the stalk.

So the problem is not associated with the up and down movement of the stalk but rather with the wiggling of the rotating knob when you use it to move the stalk up or down to actuate the turn signal.

Last edited:

sheltn4

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
View attachment 42444 I’ve been having the flickering problem on my 2014 Genesis for several years and finally broke down and purchased/installed a new stalk, so I thought I’d do a little “forensic” testing and disassembly of my old stalk to see what was causing the flickering problem.
I tracked it down to intermittent loss of continuity in the contacts of the rotating knob at the end of the stalk. The photo shows the sliding contacts between the knob and the stalk. A combination of wear on the contacts, increasing looseness of the knob over time, and the presence of the non-conductive grease (that provides the silky smoothness) results in an occasional loss of continuity between the spring-loaded tab in the knob and the contact on the the stalk.

So the problem is not associated with the up and down movement of the stalk but rather with the wiggling of the rotating knob when you use it to move the stalk up or down to actuate the turn signal.
WOW! that is pretty amazing forensics and you seem to be on to something. So when the stalk is in the auto lights mode, the knob is more tight against the contacts thus no flickering when turn signal is activated. But when the stalk is in manual light mode, there isn't as much pressure bearing down on the knob against the contacts and you get the flickering when activate the turn signals. So to keep the flickering from happening either keep the stalk in auto light mode or grab further down on the turn signal stock so not to touch the rotating knob. I'm wondering if Hyundai knows of this problem and have redesigned the stalk for the 2015 - 2016 Genesis that are subject to the TSB-20-BE-009H and all the older model Genesis cars are left out in the cold. LOL. Thank you for your forensics, it has been very insightful!

fourthirteen

Flickering has been reported in both Lights and Auto position. I didn’t typically use the Auto position but they would still occasionally flicker if I put the knob in that position. The long contact on the right side of the switch in my photo is the ground contact, so if that one loses continuity then they’ll flicker no matter where the knob is…even in the Parking position, but you’d never notice that. And I have the same idea that you have in that I’m trying to avoid pushing on the rotating knob when using the turn signals.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

John M

It's just a Hyundai...
Milledgeville, GA
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Was the removal of the end piece "destructive" or can it be removed and replaced without anything breaking?

fourthirteen

3403F42C-D920-45D4-9285-5CC180E85FEA.jpeg Destructive. There’s a hollow friction pin pressed into a blind hole in the rotating knob and into an inner hub. I guess there’s a chance that you could get a small screw threaded into the friction pin and pull it out but I didn’t spend too much time trying to do that and just took the Dremel tool to it. Here’s knob after I got the pin out of it.

Last edited:

sheltn4

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
I've mentioned it before, but I think it is worth mentioning again. Hyundai has issued a Technical Service Bulletin (see attached) for certain 2015-2016 Genesis regarding the flickering issue when operating the turn signal stalk (multifunction switch). Hyundai has extended the warranty period to 15 years with unlimited mileage for certain vehicles which may exhibit intermittent headlight flickering while driving with the light switch on AUTO light mode. They will replace the stalk, but this is only for certain 2015 -2016 Genesis. That's a good start Hyundai, but evidently the problem encompasses more model years than just those 2. I have a 2013 Genesis and it has happened to me twice with 2 different stalks. I have already a written complaint about this issue with the NHTSA. But they will not launch an investigation which would hopefully lead to action by Hyundai unless there is a pattern and a lot of complaints regarding the flickering issue. It only takes a few minutes to file a complaint with the NHTSA. I'm just saying! ; )

Attachments

• TSB 20-BE-009H.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

fourthirteen

Yeah, I filed a complaint with NHTSA a few years ago…sheltn4 may be the one that prompted me to do it. Searching the NHTSA database shows just a few complaints on the 09 - 14 model years but a lot more ( 10-15 maybe?…I don’t remember) on the 2015+, so I guess that’s why they got the extended warranty.

John M

It's just a Hyundai...
Milledgeville, GA
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I ask because the Equus stalk does the same thing (31k miles). It doesn't appear that there is a TSB or any coverage for the issue on my car.

Note that for Genesis owners, you can't just buy a new stalk and DIY. The TSB mentions:

"ENSURE THE LEFT HAND SIDE OF THE MULTIFUNCTION SWITCH ASSEMBLY IS
REPLACED AND THE SOFTWARE IS UPDATED.

IF ONLY ONE OF THE PROCEDURES IS PERFORMED, THE LIGHT SWITCH WILL NOT
OPERATE PROPERLY."

It sounds like they've changed the resistor values in the new part, maybe with a wider range to account for future wear.

led lit velossatech high performance big mouth ram air snorkels airscoops for your genesis
The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners