2015 Genesis LED strip as bright DRL instead of amber

kocyk123

Registered Member
Gilberts, IL
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Google Docs link:
2015 Hyundai Genesis LED DRL mod

This mod will turn on your DRL LED (bright) with the ignition. There are two options to install it:
  1. Stock setup - when on AUTO, bright LED is on. When blinker kicks in, bright LED switches of until blinker stops (a lot of new card do it)
  2. My personal preference - when on AUTO, bright LED stays on even when the blinker kicks in.
I went with option 2 since that is my preference. This tutorial has been made with great help of @parisgrey. You are doing it at your own risk and I don’t take responsibility if you damage your vehicle. I am not electronically inclined so if you have a better solution for wiring etc. feel free to correct me! Below is a diagram of how I have wired my LEDs (this is a diagram for one light so you have to do the same for the other):

STEP 1 - Fuse Box inside the car

Remove the lower cover under the steering wheel so you have better access to the fuse panel and other wires. You will add 4 wires here. I have used ethernet cable since it has four wires inside and that way, it was easier to fish them through the firewall inside the engine compartment.

Add two new wires, one to #1 (red/black - right rear blinker) and one to #2 (red - left rear blinker) - I have used quick tap to connect size 18 - 22

Add the other two wires to a fuse tap connector (it is micro2 fuse tap)

I plugged them into the MODULE and PRESAFETY SEAT BELT because these two turn on with the ignition and this is when your DRL will turn on too. Please insert the fuse tap the same direction I did. There is a - and + so if you plug them in the other way and there is a problem with circuit, the fuse will not blow, instead it will keep the power going which will might end up really bad.

Below is an instruction on how to insert 2 fuses into fuse tap:

1 - 10amp fuse will go here
2 - original fuse from the fuse box
(Red circles are the positive + connectors)

STEP 2 - Fish 4 newly added wires through the firewall to the engine compartment (you will find it to the left of the brake pedal):

(borrowed this picture from another Genesis forum member)

STEP 3 - Adding extra wire inside the headlight

Since I have skinny hands I was able to do this step without removing bumper and headlight. If you have a skinny hands, you are lucky because you just saved yourself plenty of time! :)

Headlight - remove the covering caps on the back and bottom of the headlight. Get your 22awg cable ready. I have used cable from the desktop computer:

I removed them from the plastic plug. These metal ends fit perfectly in the headlight.

Unplug the black connector with two wires. As you can see, there is a spot for a third one which you will add now.

Unlock the black connector:

Add the new wire to it and lock it back.

Here is how it should look now:

Red is the new wire that I added. You can plug the connector back into the headlight.

Now you need to drill a tiny hole in the headlight so you can run your newly added wire to the outside of the headlight. Run your cable and use silicone to seal the hole.

STEP 4 - adding 5 pin relays (they must be minimum 20amp)

There will be 2 relays per headlight so you need a total of 4.

1st relay will be responsible for adding the 12v power from the inside of the car (fuse tap) to the new cable that we have added inside the headlight that turns on LED in the bright DRL mode. We are going to connect the parking light wire to this relay which triggered by parking light, will cut the 12v power from the bright LED DRL and put them into regular dim mode for when parking lights or headlights are on.

2nd relay will be responsible for the blinker. We are going to add 12v from the fuse box inside the engine bay (we will also use a fuse tap here) and the new wire from the rear blinker that we ran from the inside of the car. This will connect to the front blinker. The original blinker/DRL wire that comes from the car will be connected with the resistor that will prevent the blinker hyper flash.

Connecting first relay:

85 - Ground

86 - find PIN 11 on the headlight connector and cut it (before you do it, remove the black tape that is wrapped around these wires so you have easier access)

Below pin diagram is for the Right Headlamp. The wires on the left one will be different colors so make sure you are cutting the right wires.

Strip both ends of the wires so you can connect them. The wire that comes from the car needs to be connected to pin 86 on the relay

87 - connect this pin with the wire that goes to the connector that plugs into the headlight (pin 11)

87a - connect this pin with the new DRL LED wire that we added inside the headlight

30 - connect this pin with 12v wire that comes from the inside of the car (fuse tap)

Second relay:

85 - ground

86 - connect this pin to the rear blinker wire that we ran from the inside of the car

87 - connect this pin to the 12v wire that goes in the fuse box inside engine compartment (use a fuse tap):

30 - What you have to do first, is to find pin 10 wire that goes to the headlight connector, cut it and strip both ends. connect relay pin 30 with the blinker wire (pin 10) that goes to the headlight connector.

Now repeat the same process for another 2 relays for the second headlight.

STEP 5 - adding 50W 6ohm resistors to stop blinker hyper flash

Find the wire that we cut from pin 10 going from the connector. You are going to connect this wire with one end of the resistor. The other end of resistor goes to ground. Do this on both headlights. Remember to install the resistors on metal surface as they get very hot when they operate:

Voila. That is all. Make sure everything works well. Clean up the wires in the engine compartment so they look clean and relatively professional ;-)

Last edited:

kocyk123

Registered Member
Gilberts, IL
Genesis Model Type
FINAL PRODUCT

Ignition ON and light switch on position DRL OFF (bright LED):

AUTO (bright LED):

AUTO when headlights are on(headlight bulbs turn on, just forgot to take a picture) dim LED:

Switch on position Parking Light or Headlights on (dim LED):

DRL ON (bright LED) and the blinker (LED stays on):

Parts needed (all available on Amazon):
4x micro2 add-a-circuit tap adapter fuse holders (they are not available on auto store shelves):

20awg cables. I bought something like this:

2x 50W 6ohm resistors:

Couple of wire connectors:

RC car connectors or if you have spare old PC it will have a cable like this inside(will need 2 wires from that connector):

4x 5 pin relays (minimum 20amp):

4x micro2 10AMP fuses:

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

Last edited:

Gennadiy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Looks like a pretty complete writeup. I'm going to tackle this as soon as I get the supplies and some time to do it. Thank you!

kocyk123

Registered Member
Gilberts, IL
Genesis Model Type
Thank you! Let me know of you have any questions.

Shdes9

Registered Member
Great Job! Im not that comfortable doing electrical work. Im in the Southwest burbs. Is it possible that I can pay you to do it for me?

kocyk123

Registered Member
Gilberts, IL
Genesis Model Type
I will do it for free. I will be traveling for work next week and then I am moving into the new house so I won’t be available to do it until the end of July. We can exchange contact info through private message.

Hawaii 5ooohhhh

Registered Member
Hawaii
Genesis Model Type
I was waiting for your write up. I had no idea you to post such a kick ass right up. Thank you for doing this I will tackle it in the next month or so. I’m debating putting LED fog lights on my 2015. Were you going to do fog lights too? Or is this Mod it for the front?

kocyk123

Registered Member
Gilberts, IL
Genesis Model Type
Thank you and good luck! No, I will not be adding the fog lights. Although was thinking of doing it for a split second. After I completed LED DRL project, I feel like I have done everything I wanted to this car.

FLv8

Never late in the V8
Jacksonville, FL
Genesis Model Type
Looks amazing. Excellent comprehensive tutorial. I greatly appreciate your contribution.

I may try and tackle this soon.

kocyk123

Registered Member
Gilberts, IL
Genesis Model Type
Thanks. @parisgrey and @danemania1 have motivated me to do this mod and it was the best mod that I did to my Genny. It takes couple hours to do it but it is well worth it.

FinallySky

Genesis Model Type
Appreciate the write up, well done mate

kocyk123

Registered Member
Gilberts, IL
Genesis Model Type
Thanks!

Scamp

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Just wanted to say thank you so much for contributing this to the forum! This looks like a very thorough and complete guide!

kocyk123

Registered Member
Gilberts, IL
Genesis Model Type
Thank you.

Ell Y

Registered Member
NYC Boroughs
Genesis Model Type
Fantastic write up!
With my basic electrical knowledge, I don't think that I will be partaking in this mod, but this was a joy to read =)

Jester236

Genesis Model Type
It may have been mentioned and I didn't see it, but how do you change it from Bright or DIM for the always on LED after doing the conversion?

kocyk123

Registered Member
Gilberts, IL
Genesis Model Type
1- bright LED
2 - during day bright LED / during night dim LED and headlights on
3 - dim LED
4 - dim LED and headlights on

You can do it so bright LEDs are always on, even with the headlights but they are too bright during the night and I think they would be blinding other people and they would not look OEM anymore.

Last edited:

Gennadiy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Got around to doing the mod to my ‘15 HTRAC. I wasn’t expecting to do so much soldering so it took me a while. I tried my best to hide the wires too. All of the connections under the hood are soldered, shrink wrapped, and wrapped with electrical tape. I went the easy way out and used wire taps under the dash.

Thanks so much for the write up. I just hope my work stands the test of time.
Here’s some pics of the wire job.

Left side relays and a bit of a rats nest by the headlight. F64BEB0A-16B4-4E06-8D86-D193E733998B.jpeg
Wires going through the firewall
B26F257F-C809-41CF-8009-BCDDB94E690E.jpeg
Right side headlight wiring after I put the air box back in.
FEFF9CB1-F7EB-4113-AB42-A055151DBEC3.jpeg
Right side relays. 3A785150-93DE-4827-9651-6E7E3B8496F7.jpeg
Night time pic of the LEDs. Light switch in park in first pic and in off position in second pic. 4E44904F-12E6-4A1F-B10D-A2204AD64732.jpeg

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums