2015 HTRAC Problems

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Took my 2015 Genesis Sedan 3.8 in to diagnose a clicking noise that occurs during acceleration in 3rd gear. It's more of a whine-like noise from outside the car. I got the worst news possible that it's the transfer case. ($5K part, $12K replacement job after labor). No codes or errors on my dash, just the noise.

I'm wondering what you all think the odds are of this transfer case being a tank and lasting another 100K miles? Or would you think this thing is bound to destroy itself in the near future? The Hyundai service manager said he's well aware of this problem occuring when different sets of wheels are placed on the rear/front axles of the HTRAC models (a stupid mistake by the previous owner), but he couldn't comment on the future longevity of this part. I just don't like driving around knowing there's something wrong. Might invest in an extended warranty. Thoughts?

Last edited:

millemk

Registered Member
Minnesota
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Ultimate
Strange: a new/rebuilt Htrac transfer case is available on line at roughly $1400 (and used ones considerably less), and with a couple hours shop labor is easily installed. Not sure why your dealer is so high priced??

Regardless, I have seen no other failure mentions in our forum, other than concerns over how to change the fluid which appears doable and desirable. Maybe other members have had transfer case issues and I would love to hear about it.

If different diameter wheels were installed on opposite sides of car then I would be concerned with damage to front / rear differentials, not sure of any damage to rear/front axle mismatch.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Took my 2015 Genesis Sedan 3.8 in to diagnose a clicking noise that occurs during acceleration in 3rd gear. It's more of a whine-like noise from outside the car. I got the worst news possible that it's the transfer case. ($5K part, $12K replacement job after labor). No codes or errors on my dash, just the noise.

I'm wondering what you all think the odds are of this transfer case being a tank and lasting another 100K miles? Or would you think this thing is bound to destroy itself in the near future? The Hyundai service manager said he's well aware of this problem occuring when different sets of wheels are placed on the rear/front axles of the HTRAC models (a stupid mistake by the previous owner), but he couldn't comment on the future longevity of this part. I just don't like driving around knowing there's something wrong. Might invest in an extended warranty. Thoughts?
Things like that can go forever but can go tomorrow. I'd get a price from an independent shop with a rebuilt part and I'd also be looking to trade it for a newer model. No way would I invest 12k into it.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums