3.8 Ultimate or 5.0 Base?

• 3.8 Ultimate

Votes: 28 66.7%
  • 5.0 Base

Votes: 14 33.3%

• Total voters

jonb333

Hasn't posted much yet...
After discounts, leftover 2015 models seem to be around the same price now for a 3.8 Ultimate and 5.0 Base model. So if you had the choice of purchasing one of these for the same price, which would you choose and why?

Main differences between the two:
3.8 Ultimate: V6 engine, HUD, 17 speaker lexicon, CO2 sensor, power trunk lid, 9.2" nav screen and DIS controls.

5.0 Base: V8 engine, 19" wheels, quad exhaust, adaptive suspension

Crusty Old Shellback

Registered Member
SoCal
The only thing I see the 3.8 having that might be worth it is the 17 speaker system. But the 14 speaker system in my base 5.0 sounds just as good as the 17 speaker one that was in my '12 Rspec.

with that said, "There's no replacement for displacement"

5.0 all the way.

jimb100

Registered Member
A lot depends on how and where you drive. If I spent a lot of time on the highway I'd take the 3.8 Ultimate. On the highway, the car just about drives itself. Very relaxing.

Mixed city, highway and suburbs I'd take the 5.0. Passing, merging, cornering, the 5.0 with adaptive suspension really provides the luxury car performance experience.

I'm glad to have a 5.0 Ultimate. After test driving both motors I would only have gone for the 5.0 Ultimate.

jonb333

Hasn't posted much yet...
A lot depends on how and where you drive. If I spent a lot of time on the highway I'd take the 3.8 Ultimate. On the highway, the car just about drives itself. Very relaxing.

Mixed city, highway and suburbs I'd take the 5.0. Passing, merging, cornering, the 5.0 with adaptive suspension really provides the luxury car performance experience.

I'm glad to have a 5.0 Ultimate. After test driving both motors I would only have gone for the 5.0 Ultimate.

Great analysis! The 5.0 Ultimate is a rare car now that inventory has diminished.

AustinTX

Registered Member
Austin, TX
The V8 will give you slightly better performance, at a 4 mpg penalty and it wants premium gas (see quote from user manual below).

The V6 has better gas mileage, the HUD is the best feature on my car IMO, but with the Ultimate you give up the chance of using Apple Car Play or Android Auto. I don't see the big deal about the 17 speaker audio system, but I don't have the 14 speaker system for comparison and I am not an audiophile.

Fuel recommendations:

3.8 engine
Your new vehicle is designed to use only unleaded fuel having an octane number ((R+M)/2) of 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher.

5.0 engine
Your new vehicle is designed to use only unleaded fuel having an octane number ((R+M)/2) of 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, premium unleaded fuel with an octane number ((R+M)/2) of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher is recommended.

The question is, do you want the slightly better performance at a penalty every time you go to the pump, or the added features (try the HUD, I would miss that in every new car from now on). How often is 311 HP not sufficient? How much more is every tank going to cost you at a 4 mpg penalty and paying more for higher grade gas?

Jaeger

Registered Member
I test drove the V8 a bunch of times and really liked it, but ultimately decided on the V6. After living with the V6 for a few months there are two things I know for sure : 1) I absolutely love the car. 2) I wouldn't want it to be any heavier or any thirstier. The V8 is both of those things.

That said, if I had gone for the V8 I'm sure I'd be loving the car, just not loving paying for all that premium juice.

kn5owa

Sustaining Member
Go for the 5.0

Smooth as silk -gets phenomenal mileage, IMO.

Koolhaas

Registered Member
Houston
I test drove both and left with the V6. I didn't really notice a huge difference in acceleration, but really the deciding factor was that the V8 didnt' sound like a V8.

Jaeger

Registered Member
I test drove both and left with the V6. I didn't really notice a huge difference in acceleration, but really the deciding factor was that the V8 didnt' sound like a V8.

I'm with you on that first point. The numbers don't lie but the V8 never felt that much faster to me - it builds speed so effortlessly and so silently that it's kind of uneventful and never feels as fast as it really is. Since I'm not street racing or running 1/4 miles at the track, the extra power was kind of a non-factor for me. But the extra weight was noticeable in both braking and cornering - which happens a lot more frequently for me than full throttle launches.

To the OP I'd say buy the V8 because you really WANT the V8. Looking for a rational cost-benefit justification is probably asking the wrong question.

lobsenza

Registered Member
Austin, TX
I have no issue running the 5.0 on regular. plenty of performance. There might be a small gas mileage penalty, but not worth $0.40 per gallon.

XPO439

Registered Member
California
5.0 V8 ftw. I have no regrets, ducked the gas guzzler, turns heads, quad exhaust tips, brutal accelation, burnout demon, powersliding like a boss, beafy staggered setup, make the wifey and friends hold on for dear life, I'm pretty freaking happy! I drove the V6 the other day, the acceleration...don't want to step on any toes here.

The V8 sound, well, it just sounds like a motor until you upgrade the exhaust. I don't feel the weight of this car in the twisties at all. OP, get the V8, you won't look back.

chris41

Registered Member
Cleveland
Traded in a Chrysler 300 with the V8 Hemi, so I certainly can appreciate wanting the 5.0. Power is very addicting and satisfying. I might have bought another one but thy stop making the Hemi in AWD. Sound familiar? I need AWD for the winter.

I had HUD in a previous car and while there really isn't much about it....I LOVE it and wanted it again. I love my 3.8 AWD Ultimate and I'm quite satisfied with the acceleration. Sometimes stomping on the Hemi could get downright frightening....especially when the TC has to save your ass when the rear end would begin to slide under wet conditions. On the flip side....the power is definitely a stress reliever.

jarred52

Registered Member
do you value gas mileage?

It's not just mileage. In my area, premium costs a minimum of 20% more than regular. The V8 car's tires are larger and more expensive. And a deal killer for me - the V8 has different size wheels /tires on the front vs. back which eliminates the carrying of a matching full size spare (I know that this would not be an issue for most purchasers).

kn5owa

Sustaining Member
It's not just mileage. In my area, premium costs a minimum of 20% more than regular. The V8 car's tires are larger and more expensive. And a deal killer for me - the V8 has different size wheels /tires on the front vs. back which eliminates the carrying of a matching full size spare (I know that this would not be an issue for most purchasers).

And no realistic tire rotation.

But I'll take my V8 - nice & quiet though it may be.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Here's hoping that changes with the G80. People spend multiple pages and multiple threads complaining about Apple Car Play and backup camera image quality, but this is an actual significant oversight.

Because this is something that probably never happen not because of Hyunday but by CAFE standards imposed by US government.

kn5owa

Sustaining Member
Here's hoping that changes with the G80. People spend multiple pages and multiple threads complaining about Apple Car Play and backup camera image quality, but this is an actual significant oversight.

You mean there might be more to cars than gadgets?? Hard to believe.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums