2015 Subwoofer Frequency Response Test

arcman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Curious about the lack of bass in this thing, I decided to test it. This is the Ultimate with '17' speakers. I feel they could have left a few out and focused more on the bottom end.

I used a Infinity mic along with their cd that is intended for calibrating subs. The mic was placed just behind the console pointing rearward.
This thing could really use some kind of DSP to manage the bottom end 'cause that's pretty bumpy. I'm surprised by the 30hz bump because I sure don't hear it in my music (jazz, blues) like I do in my home setup and the wifes MDX. Hers is a 2017 and the sub in it is really impressive. When she gets home, I'm gonna test it and see how it compares. As one other member mentioned, maybe a bass boost amp is worth a try before a sub speaker box.

Attachments

arcman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Here's what it looks like with 0, 5 and 10db bass boost. Does what it says. Instead of a raised slope with more down in the 20's and 30's, it just raises everything. I'm thinking it probably has a similar boost above 100hz. My cd doesn't go above 100hz. If I get more energetic, I could record some tones from 100 to 1khz to see if it has a similar boost up there. What would be nice is to find a amp with DSP/EQ to fix/boost this. I am really surprised it gets down to 26hz only a db or so down from 80hz. That huge dip at 35hz must be the bass I miss hearing.

This is with surround mode on.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
Is it better to have Surround on or off? Most posts I read said to turn it off.
Turning it off makes everything flat. However, it also alters the sub scaling to be a -10db straight cut.

The notches at 35 and 57 are coincidentally right where the interior panels resonate... I'd be leaning toward this being an intentional thing for sound quality.

Here's where I keep my settings:
image.jpg

arcman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
That's exactly where my settings were.

I noticed above where I mention the boost works like it should... Not really. For a claimed boost of 10 db, it's actually only 3 to 5 db.

For the heck of it I made compensating EQ's in Sound Forge for each of the 23 test tones. Tested it in the car and it's now within 1.5 db from 20hz to 100hz. I'm gonna try building a precise EQ curve and apply it to some MP3's. If it works, I'll make a batch file and apply to all my car music.

But... there may be a reason for that dip around 56hz. My wife's MDX has the same thing. 6 db down from 38hz to 56hz. I may need to leave EQ compensation out of that area.

Though her interior is nowhere near as quiet as the Genesis, it has very few rattles and buzzes compared to the Genesis. The stronger bass from 40hz and below really makes a difference in the MDX.

MDX Bass Response. Controls set flat.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.