2015 turn signal burnout problem

tuckerdog1

Been here awhile...
TEXAS
There is another thread here somewhere, where the issue of the amber DRL/turn signal bulb burning out is an issue. Seems some folks have been chasing this problem, replacing the bulb multiple times. Just wanted to let you all know, it happened to me last week. I called the dealer, and they said it was a known issue. There is apparently something wrong with the wiring harness, which causes a short & the bulb burns out. They replaced the harness & bulb under warranty. I did ask if they could be pro-active and go ahead and replace the harness on the side that had not burned out. Was told, "no", the bulb would have to have burned out. But if it does, bring it back for the free fix. Sooooo, just FYI, if you're one of the folks having this happen, the next time it does, it's covered ( provided you're still under warranty ).

kolme

Getting familiar with the group...
Texas
There is another thread here somewhere, where the issue of the amber DRL/turn signal bulb burning out is an issue. Seems some folks have been chasing this problem, replacing the bulb multiple times. Just wanted to let you all know, it happened to me last week. I called the dealer, and they said it was a known issue. There is apparently something wrong with the wiring harness, which causes a short & the bulb burns out. They replaced the harness & bulb under warranty. I did ask if they could be pro-active and go ahead and replace the harness on the side that had not burned out. Was told, "no", the bulb would have to have burned out. But if it does, bring it back for the free fix. Sooooo, just FYI, if you're one of the folks having this happen, the next time it does, it's covered ( provided you're still under warranty ).
Interesting. Is there anyway you could take a pic of the new bulb socket? Previously a single metal contact was present.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Thanks for the heads up.
My passenger bulb burnout and I replaced both sides with better quality Philips long life amber 2357NA bulbs. The old bulbs were very old looking so I guess that my issue was from age. The older bulb filaments looked thinner compared to the newer Philips bulbs, so maybe Hyundai used cheaper bulbs as well as a defective wiring harnesses.

If my new bulbs burnout in less than a year then I will have my harness checked out.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Interesting. Is there anyway you could take a pic of the new bulb socket? Previously a single metal contact was present.
I believe that my 2015 turn signal bulb socket had two contacts that matches the bulbs two pins. Not 100% percent sure but it seemed that way when I recently changed out my turn signal bulbs.

However, the harness could have been upgraded before I purchased the car this year by the last owner.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
So is it a PITA to replace these? I too have a 2015 but bulbs are still working (knock on wood) but I fear I'm going to have to unbolt all kinds of stuff just to get to and replace an $5 bulb.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
So is it a PITA to replace these? I too have a 2015 but bulbs are still working (knock on wood) but I fear I'm going to have to unbolt all kinds of stuff just to get to and replace an $5 bulb.
Yes, it was a PITA.

I had to remove the front upper U-shaped plastic cover. Next I had to remove the two chassis braces. Then I had to remove the air boxes to have enough room to remove the turn signal bulbs from the light housing.

The job was not hard, just time consuming for a simple signal bulb swap. In all honest I only had to remove 4 bolts(chassis mounts) and remove a lot of plastic pop rivets for the cover. The air boxes just pulls out when you loosen the airbox hose brackets.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
What baffles me about this is how every single source of light in and on this vehicle is LED!! Why in God's name decide, "oh, let's toss in 2 cheap DRL/turn signal lights but make the rest of the car LED! " Odds are we know why, because they know the folks who buy these cars are a bit on the older side and aren't really wanting to tear apart a car just to get to the bulbs so they will run to a Hyundai shop to do it and of course we all know they won't offer that service for free, $5 parts and $95 labor will probably be more the norm. Cash cow for them.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
What baffles me about this is how every single source of light in and on this vehicle is LED!! Why in God's name decide, "oh, let's toss in 2 cheap DRL/turn signal lights but make the rest of the car LED! " Odds are we know why, because they know the folks who buy these cars are a bit on the older side and aren't really wanting to tear apart a car just to get to the bulbs so they will run to a Hyundai shop to do it and of course we all know they won't offer that service for free, $5 parts and $95 labor will probably be more the norm. Cash cow for them.
LOL. That is why I will just buy a boring Lexus ES or LS when I get tired of working on cars. Those cars are put together well and can go the distance with little to no extra work besides routine maintenance every so often. Most other cars from every other luxury automaker including the Genesis requires quite a bit more attention it seems.

However, Lexus models are just too dull from me to drive everyday as of yet or too darn expensive for the enjoyable ones like the GS model with the 5.0 V8 engine.

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
I've read through the mentioned thread and replaced my DRLs with LEDs which required swapping the pins in the harness lights. A slight pita but worked ok. It seems that Hyundai had an LED that they were going to use but it was never produced? idk, but my amber LEDs seem to work fine at the moment, only a hyper flash here and there. They look awesome though - super bright.

ksparks5

Genesis Model Type
I've read through the mentioned thread and replaced my DRLs with LEDs which required swapping the pins in the harness lights. A slight pita but worked ok. It seems that Hyundai had an LED that they were going to use but it was never produced? idk, but my amber LEDs seem to work fine at the moment, only a hyper flash here and there. They look awesome though - super bright.
Good Day to all my Genesis owners, I have read through all the painful issues regarding the Amber turn/daytime running lights. I am a smart guy and yet, still confused.

Can Anyone Just Give Me A Bottom Line Solution on How To Get Some Nice LED's Put in Without A Bunch of Modifications.

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
To put LEDs in place of the halogens you're probably going to have to switch the pins on the light harness - bottom line.... This is not difficult, it just takes a little time. I've posted a short instruction. If you cant find it let me know I'll leave a link

batmanmiami1

Getting familiar with the group...
miami fl
Genesis Model Type
I just had both harness' replaced on the dealers dime. I advised them in addition to them replacing one turn signal lamp I replaced 2 more in less then 90 days. I was told by the service writer if the lamps have been replaced twice the dealer will replace the harness' which they did. Whether this is a dealer, or Mother Hyundai directive, I really couldn't tell you. I also purchased an assortment of push pins on ebay. I didn't have any better luck removing the original then the dealers mechanics. The only difference, I replaced the broken and missing ones not just closed the hood and walked away. Only time will tell if replacing the harness' does the trick.

dbbalch

Registered Member
Maryland
Genesis Model Type
To put LEDs in place of the halogens you're probably going to have to switch the pins on the light harness - bottom line.... This is not difficult, it just takes a little time. I've posted a short instruction. If you cant find it let me know I'll leave a link
I'd be interested in seeing how this is done, but I can't find your short instruction post.

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
Here you go:
If your LED's don't light up the polarity of the socket needs to be reversed. This is not real difficult but takes a little time. Remove the socket from the light fixture - about 3 inches or so is a plug that you can detach the socket from. There is a little catch that you have to push in to release it. This will make it so you can remove the socket. What you have to do is reverse the wires in the plug - not socket side. I had to ground down a nail to slip it beside each of the wires to release the brass pin from the white plug. Once you do this (this might take you a bit to get the nail narrow enough) just switch them so they're in different holes. Put your light in and test it. It should work. You probably should bend the little side metal tab in the socket to give you a better connection. Redo the same procedure on the other side.

Ultimate 3.8

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I wish I'd seen this post earlier. My driver's side bulb went out, so I just replaced both bulbs my myself. The driver's side is a breeze because there's more than enough room to get your hands in there and move around. The passenger's side is a monster because there's barely enough room for a baby's hand to fit down there. The bulbs were literally $5 or less from Autozone. The only thing is they're not amber. So they don't look as nice in my opinion.

Andyj

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I saw another post on this forum about dark amber bulbs, darker than the original ones purchased on Amazon.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I saw another post on this forum about dark amber bulbs, darker than the original ones purchased on Amazon.
That was my post probably. I purchases Philips 2357 amber long life bulbs a few months back, and the bulbs are still going strong. The glass is a very deep amber color so the light is deep amber. I like it better than the yellowish/amber stock bulbs.

dbbalch

Registered Member
Maryland
Genesis Model Type
I read this thread with great interest because I too have had to change my front turn signal bulbs many times - more than on all the other cars I have ever owned, combined. This is unacceptable to me on any car. It is especially annoying on this car given all the effort required to change the passenger side bulb. I tried installing LED bulbs as a quick fix, but they didn't work. That set me on a mission to understand why and the findings are interesting, so I wanted to share.

The signal lamps in the "Type B" assemblies of the 2015 Genesis (attached) double as turn signal lights and daytime lights (DRLs), but they are not dual-function like a brake light (turn on, get brighter). They are single-function lights (turn on). If you activate a turn signal when the DRLs are on, the light will pulse on and off, not on, then brighter like a brake light. This is where it gets weird.

Instead of using a standard single function two-wire 1156 socket, my Genesis has modified two-wire 1157 sockets. So, only one of the two contacts and filaments in the 1157/2357 bulb is ever used. If this light was only being used as a turn signal, nobody would care. But the much higher demand of the DRL role is cooking through the limited lifespan of these bulbs, which has opened the door to using LEDs. And because they are using only one contact in a dual-contact socket, 1157/2357 LEDs may not always work.

To my knowledge, the two-wire 1157-style sockets in these headlight assemblies are a Hyundai-only part. I have no idea why Hyundai chose to modify a dual-function component to accommodate a single-function electrical requirement.

I am replacing my factory sockets with standard two-wire 1156 sockets that accommodate single-contact/single-filament bulbs. My hope is that the corresponding 1156 LED (https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-ZEVO-White-Contains-Bulbs/dp/B01A77QQTE/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1548694505&sr=8-14&keywords=1156+led&th=1) will work without issue; they only pull 1.5W compared to the 21W of the 1156 incandescent and are much more appropriate for the always-on load of a DRL.

I'll post an update with the results.

Attachments

Last edited:

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
This seems as good a strategy as any, especially if the connector is plug and play to the Hyundai wiring, otherwise just swapping the wires in the original plug works just as well and doesnt cost anything.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.