2016 Equus bluetooth issues with latest iPhone update (iOS 13.4.1)

slvslv

Registered Member
Kansas
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I just discovered the recent iPhone update, iOS 13.4.1, breaks bluetooth functionality in my 2016 Equus. My iPhone will connect for a second but then disconnect, switching to the Connections screen stating there is no phone available. Toggling the bluetooth on the iPhone yields same results. Restarting the iPhone and the car did nothing to change that. Deleting the phone from the Connections menu and attempting to re-add it is not possible as the iPhone won't stay connected long enough to do so. I confirmed the same behavior with my wife's similarly updated iPhone. There were no issues at all prior to the update.

Our older iPhones and iPod Touch devices running previous versions of iOS do not exhibit this issue. Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to downgrade an iPhone's software. And since Hyundai rarely updates their audio system software it will be up to Apple to issue a future software update that hopefully restores bluetooth functionality.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

princelybug

SUSTAINING MEMBER
SoCal
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I've not had any issues since this update. Perhaps a soft reset on the phone or un-pairing/re-pairing the phone to the car may help?

slvslv

Registered Member
Kansas
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Thanks for the suggestions, princelybug. I ended up doing a hard-reset of the phone, deleted the original pairing, and then re-paired. So far, it's working as it had before the software update. Thanks again!

cwzcorp

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I just discovered the recent iPhone update, iOS 13.4.1, breaks bluetooth functionality in my 2016 Equus. My iPhone will connect for a second but then disconnect, switching to the Connections screen stating there is no phone available. Toggling the bluetooth on the iPhone yields same results. Restarting the iPhone and the car did nothing to change that. Deleting the phone from the Connections menu and attempting to re-add it is not possible as the iPhone won't stay connected long enough to do so. I confirmed the same behavior with my wife's similarly updated iPhone. There were no issues at all prior to the update.

Our older iPhones and iPod Touch devices running previous versions of iOS do not exhibit this issue. Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible to downgrade an iPhone's software. And since Hyundai rarely updates their audio system software it will be up to Apple to issue a future software update that hopefully restores bluetooth functionality.

Yes I have the exact same issue

KevinS

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)

Has anyone else experienced this issue

I have a 2013 Equus and just purchased an iPhone 12pro running on IOS 14.3 and am experiencing the exact same problem. I've done everything you've previously done with the same result. I've been on the phone with Apple 6 times... no fix in site. I've written to Hyundai to see if there is something they can do. It does however, seem as though they completely disregard anyone who doesn't have this years car. The Hyundai website for the 2013 equus only shows help for iPhones 4 and 5.

xfilerguy

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Same problem with a 2013 Equus. New iPhone 12 pro doesn't hold the connection more than a few seconds, then will randomly connect mid-call. Very frustrating. Don't believe there is any fix on the apple side --- must need a fix on the Equus bluetooth software side to work with newest bluetooth specifications.

slvslv

Registered Member
Kansas
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Sorry you're having issues. I have had no further issues since deleting the original bluetooth connection in the Equus phone setup and then re-pairing my phone. You should also delete the bluetooth connection on your iPhone. I recently updated to a much newer iPhone SE (2020) which supports the latest bluetooth protocols and have no issues connecting that phone either.

Have you tried connecting any other iPhones or iOS devices? Any issues there? If so, try an Android device and see if the issue persists. If so, I'd assume a global bluetooth problem with the Equus. But don't count on Hyundai offering any kind of fix on their end on these no longer supported vehicles. Let us know how it goes.

G-564540

I’m having the same problem with my new IPhone 12Max Pro. Very frustrating that Equus doesn’t recognize this phone.

2013 Equus Platinum

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I, too, am not able to connect my iPhone 12 Pro to my 2013 Equus. It connects for a few seconds but, as others have said, the Equus drops the phone connection. Deleting all pairings in the Equus and deleting the Equus Bluetooth connection in the iPhone has not helped - I’ve gone through this process multiple times to no avail.

KevinS

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)

Yes!!! I have 2 2013 Equus and both have the same issue with my iPhone 12pro. I actually spoke with apple multiple times when I first upgraded my phone from the X. I returned the 12 pro for a new one and same issue occurs. As it stands Bluetooth will pick up mid call and then drop unexpectedly. Nothing I’ve done has worked. I attempted to compensate by plugging the phone in manually but my iPhone cover doesn’t let the cable connect. I’ve given up.

G-975712

Same problem with a 2013 Equus. New iPhone 12 pro doesn't hold the connection more than a few seconds, then will randomly connect mid-call. Very frustrating. Don't believe there is any fix on the apple side --- must need a fix on the Equus bluetooth software side to work with newest bluetooth specifications.
Spent hours on the phone with Apple techs, Verizin techs, and time with the Hyundai techs. The Bluetooth in any of the Iphone 12is too far advanced and since Hyundai discontinued the Equus and is now concentrating on Equus owners to trade their cars in for a G90, you will have no choice but to use an OLDER or 2-3rd generation Iphone like I did. That means 2 lines, and I have my calls fwd to my old phone. That is the only way it will work. Also, make sure your old Iphone update system is shut off. My next car will be a Lexus. They still update their premium cars, regardless.

slvslv

Registered Member
Kansas
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Sorry to hear continued issues with newer iPhones and bluetooth connectivity. I am currently using a 2020 iPhone SE that uses the same version of Bluetooth 5.0 that the iPhone 12 and 12 Pro utilize. The only difference I can find between these phones is the chip (A13 Bionic in the SE vs. A14 Bionic in the 12/12 Pro), and the inclusion of 5G and Ultra wideband in the 12/12 Pro, none of which should affect Bluetooth connectivity.

But the problem may be in the older Equus multimedia system that was used in 2013 and earlier Equus models. The newer system used in 2014-2016 models apparently doesn't have this issue. If this is the case, I'd give up on the Bluetooth connection and just go wired by plugging your phone in to the USB jack. You should still have all functionality and charge your phone at the same time. And if you're an audiophile, the sound quality is better this way than Bluetooth. Good luck. Let us know how it all goes.

G-822009

Yes. I have a 2013. No problems with my Android but once I got the iPhone 12 nothing but connection problems.

Equus2013

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)

Did you resolve this issue?

kiwon

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Same problem here. Upgraded to a iPhone13 and Bluetooth has been giving me all kinds of problems. Seems my 2012 Equus can no longer auto connect to my new phone. Only way to have it work is to delete and pair my phone every time. Maybe if you turn off auto connect you can manually connect via ur phone settings or with the car setting but I doubt it. I have a usb powered Bluetooth receiver which runs through the aux as a workaround.

Zoom

Hasn't posted much yet...
Gulf Coast
Same problem with my '12 3.8 and my iPhone 12. I pair it to the car but have to re-pair it after each new start-up. It also does not retain the phone book.
Related note, is it worth the money to pay the dealer to update the Infotainment software? I was quoted $200 when I bought my '12 in 2014, but never considered it. If it would solve my iPhone problem, I'd do it.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners