2016 Equus Signature - Weak Bass?

Bulvine

Getting familiar with the group...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Just bought a 2016 Equus and the bass is very weak sounding. Its the 10 speaker system. Whats odd is on some songs it does the really low bass, but the range of bass is very limited. Is this a problem with mine? Or is this just the way the 10 speaker setup is? If this is normal do you have any recommendations to correct the issue? I'd rather not rip apart the rear power seats to replace speakers. I was thinking of adding a sub in the trunk but I don't know how well the sound will come through the back seats.

slvslv

Registered Member
Kansas
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
As per product specifications for the 2016 Equus, all vehicles have the following electronics:

- Premium navigation system with Driver Information System (DIS) featuring a 9.2- inch display and multimedia controller: Easy to operate; includes vehicle settings.
- Lexicon® 7.1 Discrete Logic 7® surround sound system: AM/FM/HD RadioTM/ SiriusXM®/in-dash DVD changer, 598-watt Lexicon® 13-channel digital external amplifier and 17 speakers
- Auto Volume Control (AVC): speed sensitive volume
- iPod®/USB and MP3 auxiliary input jacks
- Bluetooth® hands-free phone system
- 17 Lexicon speakers

One of the 17 speakers is a subwoofer which is centered in the rear deck behind the rear seats. True sub-bass (you can feel) emanate from that speaker and you can see the rear window vibrate at high levels. But I find most of the bass I hear (not feel) comes from the front door speakers. It's a great sounding system but I'll admit I sometimes wish it had even more bass. Have thought about adding a sub-box and amp in the trunk for even more bass. Fairly easy to do. Just daisy chain from the existing subwoofer (leave it there, active or bypassed) to the new amp and then to the sub-box. The vehicle battery is in the trunk for easy access to power. You might want to run a control cable to the drivers area for handy subwoofer volume adjustment.

But before doing that, toy around with the Sound Settings where you can adjust Bass, Mid, Treble. I have my Bass level to near max, as well as my Treble level. Mid is set at zero, creating the classic V curve, which I prefer.

Some test music with deep bass I'd recommend trying is: All songs by the band "Here Come The Mummies." It's funk but it rocks and the recordings are awesome! Just heard the song "Satellite" by P.O.D. and it surprised me how low it went! If you like metal, load up Megadeth's '13' and be prepared to be annihilated! Too heavy? Try Daft Punk's 'Random Access Memories,' a well-recorded pop/electronic album. Donald Fagen's 'Morph The Cat' is a great recording as well. Try the title track or 'The H Gang.' Pat Metheny's 'Imaginary Day' is a nice jazz album featuring 'Follow Me' and 'The Roots of Coincidence' as great test songs, both very different tunes. Some other picks: later albums by Rush, U2, STP, Muse, Keane, The Mars Volta, Jazz is Dead, Goldfinger, Bowie, Al Di Meola, Avenged Sevenfold, King Crimson, and Snarky Puppy.

Good luck and enjoy your new ride!

Brent

Bulvine

Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
OK, so your saying the 2016 Equus Signature and Ultimate both has 17 speakers? I assumed it was only 10 because when looking at the balance/fader controls it only shows 10 speakers. I have the bass at max and the mid at 0 and the treb at 3 or 4. The bass range is really weak. Unless its a really low frequency it sounds like there no real bass at all. Perhaps I will go look at one for sale and see if there is a difference. Guess that will tell me if there is a problem, with mine or the bass range is just weak in the Equus.

Thanks for the info!

slvslv

Registered Member
Kansas
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Yes, both trims have the same exact audio system. They count each driver as a speaker in the 17-speaker count. So the display may show just one speaker in the driver's door but there are actually two, a tweeter and a mid/woofer.

I would never describe my system as bass-weak. It gets low and loud but nothing like an after-market sub/amp system. So yeah, see if you can check yours against another. My brother added a JL sub and a 600-watt amp to his Lexus system and it is almost too much subwoofer! It is so loud and low now! Very tempting upgrade...

Bulvine

Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I had a 2011 Genesis 4.6 and its sound much better than the one in the 2016 Equus. Hopefully if there is a problem its in the radio and not the speakers since they aren't covered by the 5yr 60k bumper to bumper warranty. Or perhaps an AMP is not working right...

slvslv

Registered Member
Kansas
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Interesting. I had a 2009 Genesis 4.6 that I traded for my 2016 Equus. Before I purchased the Equus, my dealer let me take it home for a weekend of extensive test drives and audio tests. I concluded that the two audio systems are almost identical in overall sound quality, dynamics and output (once EQ'd). The Genesis lower sub range was slightly better than the Equus. And the Genesis had just a bit overall higher headroom, albeit, with noticeable compression in the upper 25% of its range. So this system should compare very similarly to your 2011 Genesis. If not, there must be some kind of problem somewhere in the system.

First thing is kind of obvious but I assume you've tried different sources? This thing does nearly everything: DVDs, CDs, iPod, Analog Aux, Bluetooth, AM/FM, USB, Jukebox. Any difference between those different sources?

Next start isolating which, if any of the speakers are not functioning. Determine if its the speaker or amp. If it's an amp, its likely it will affect multiple channels, and thus multiple speakers. Also check the subwoofer connection in the trunk. (Might have to pull back a cover for access.) You can visually see if it's connected and feel/hear/see it if it is functioning correctly.

I doubt this would do anything but you can try resetting the audio system by sticking a paper clip in the little pin hole next to the Display button on the face of your radio. This resets and restarts the system. All audio settings revert to factory. All presets cleared. Worth a try if nothing else is helping.

Your earlier suggestion of trying to find a similar Equus to compare it to is a good idea. I'm sure Hyundai/Genesis dealers in your area will have a few for sale. Let us know how it goes.

Bulvine

Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thanks for the wealth of information! What odd is that at times its sound better. I don't know if its the station or just the different music being played. I have done BT steaming and FM only thus far. I don't have much in the way of music on DVD or CD. Sop you say I can access the sub from the trunk?
If so I will try that. I don't want to have to resort to pulling out the rear seats to get to it. I did stop by a car audio store to see what they had to offer. Their solution is to remove the read reck sub and build a custom box that would fire up through where the sub was mounted to provide the cleanest sound. Should I go this route I already have subs and an amp to use so that wouldn't be too expensive. But my 2011 Genesis was all I needed for audio. I'd hate to have to customize the car with that.

slvslv

Registered Member
Kansas
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Definitely test a good CD or DVD or load up a USB flash drive with some good MP3 songs to do your tests from. Don't rely on FM (and definitely not AM) or Bluetooth as your old test means. FM can be very dicey and Bluetooth can be anything from great to crap, depending on the device and other conditions. Once you have a solid method of testing the overall audio quality, you can make your determination on what to do next.

If you decide to replace/add a subwoofer, you won't need to pull the rear seats. Everything can be done from the trunk. (Except for running a control cable for subwoofer control at your fingertips. But you can probably run that cable without pulling the rear seats anyway.)

Since you already have a sub and amp, go ahead and hook it up and see how it sounds with it just sitting in the trunk. You may find that you don't even need to remove the existing sub for good sound since sub-bass is extremely low and non-directional, easily able to penetrate and transmit its sound into the main cabin regardless of orientation.

The easiest way to add your sub to the existing system is to tap the existing sub's speaker terminals and run a speaker cable to your high-level (speaker) inputs on your amp. Run power from your car battery (inside trunk, under panel for spare tire access) to your amp. Hopefully your amp has auto-power signal detection in which the amp will turn on only when it senses an audio signal feeding it and remain off when it there is no signal. Of course, this all assumes there is nothing wrong with the factory sub's amp. If there is a problem, this scenario won't work as it requires the original subs amp to provide the sub audio stream. So first crank up your bass and volume and listen to the factory sub from inside the trunk. Put your hand on the sub itself. You should feel movement/vibration if it is working. If so, proceed with your project. If not, this will be a bit more difficult to do since you'll have to find another speaker or line-level output to tap from. Hope that's not the case!

Let me know how it goes as I am really thinking of doing this upgrade as well! And take some pics if you think about it!

slvslv

Registered Member
Kansas
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
One other thing. I found the ideal volume level in the Genesis was around 17. It was plenty loud and the bass seemed more balanced up there. The Equus has a finer incremental volume range and I have found the comparable volume in this car to be around 33. It just depends on the source material, how old it is, how well it was mastered/remastered, etc. Generally speaking, the newer the recording, the louder and lower the bass range is.

So what kind of music are you listening to?

Bulvine

Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Well to test is out I was using stuff my daughter and wife like. Ariana Grande God is a woman, and stuff like that. Personally I'm into hard rock and some metal. Theory of a dead man, Seether, Breaking Benjamin. Even some Five Finger Death Punch at times.

Bulvine

Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I did notice today though the bass seemed much stronger. The only thing that has changed is the car battery was a little low. I thought it was bad. I took it to a place to have it tested and they said it was still good, just a little low. I put my trickle charger on it over night and it starts without any issue.
Thought once a battery loses some charge I'm hesitant to trust it. I don't see how a low battery could cause a issue when the car is running. Perhaps the sub amp wont kickin if the voltage from the battery isn't where it should be? donno but will see if it lasts or going out again.

Bulvine

Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
One other thing. I found the ideal volume level in the Genesis was around 17. It was plenty loud and the bass seemed more balanced up there. The Equus has a finer incremental volume range and I have found the comparable volume in this car to be around 33. It just depends on the source material, how old it is, how well it was mastered/remastered, etc. Generally speaking, the newer the recording, the louder and lower the bass range is.

So what kind of music are you listening to?
I put in a Bass 305 cd I had and the bass was as it should be. So it seems the radio in my 2011 Genesis could produce all around better audio regardless of the source. I know the radio and bluetooth sounded much better than the Equus. I don't know if the Genesis had a better antenna or what. I mostly listen to radio or streaming from my phone so those sources being so weak is troubling...

slvslv

Registered Member
Kansas
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Sorry, I've been out of town for a few days but I got to really give my system a workout and can faithfully conclude this system sounds great, just as good as my 2009 Genesis system, and probably doesn't need the extra sub. I tested all sources, the best being CD, DVD, and the direct iPod connection, USB/Jukebox, and the AUX input. Next tier below those would be FM, Bluetooth, XM Satellite, and lastly AM. I use my 128GB iPod Touch as my main source of listening, probably about 90% of the time. I did an A-B comparison of the iPod versus Bluetooth. Both sound very good but the iPod connection is cleaner and better sounding overall (as it should) than Bluetooth, however, I would guess most people wouldn't notice or care about the small difference. (My 2009 Genesis did not have Bluetooth audio so I can't comment on that but there is no issue with the Bluetooth in my Equus.)

The 2011 Genesis brochure states: “Hyundai Genesis features the Lexicon 7.1 Discrete audio system with an 11-channel, 528-watt digital amplifier and 17 speakers. the result is among the most immersive audio experiences ever available in an automobile.”

By contrast, the Equus states: "Lexicon® 7.1 Discrete Logic 7® surround sound system: AM/FM/HD RadioTM/ SiriusXM®/in-dash DVD changer, 598-watt Lexicon® 13-channel digital external amplifier and 17 speakers."

So the Equus picked up 2 more channels and 70 more watts overall. The two systems should compare closely so if you really feel this system is a noticeable downgrade from your Genesis, I would have it checked out. Or at least do an A-B comparison with another 2013-2016 Equus. (Previous Equus models had the previous system that did not include Bluetooth Audio.) Good luck and let us know what you find!

Last edited:

Bulvine

Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Sorry, I've been out of town for a few days but I got to really give my system a workout and can faithfully conclude this system sounds great, just as good as my 2009 Genesis system, and probably doesn't need the extra sub. I tested all sources, the best being CD, DVD, and the direct iPod connection, USB/Jukebox, and the AUX input. Next tier below those would be FM, Bluetooth, XM Satellite, and lastly AM. I use my 128GB iPod Touch as my main source of listening, probably about 90% of the time. I did an A-B comparison of the iPod versus Bluetooth. Both sound very good but the iPod connection is cleaner and better sounding overall (as it should) than Bluetooth, however, I would guess most people wouldn't notice or care about the small difference. (My 2009 Genesis did not have Bluetooth audio so I can't comment on that but there is no issue with the Bluetooth in my Equus.)

The 2011 Genesis brochure states: “Hyundai Genesis features the Lexicon 7.1 Discrete audio system with an 11-channel, 528-watt digital amplifier and 17 speakers. the result is among the most immersive audio experiences ever available in an automobile.”

By contrast, the Equus states: "Lexicon® 7.1 Discrete Logic 7® surround sound system: AM/FM/HD RadioTM/ SiriusXM®/in-dash DVD changer, 598-watt Lexicon® 13-channel digital external amplifier and 17 speakers."

So the Equus picked up 2 more channels and 70 more watts overall. The two systems should compare closely so if you really feel this system is a noticeable downgrade from your Genesis, I would have it checked out. Or at least do an A-B comparison with another 2013-2016 Equus. (Previous Equus models had the previous system that did not include Bluetooth Audio.) Good luck and let us know what you find!
Just out of curiosity I wonder if Hyundai releases new versions of firmware for the radio that are separate from the nav updates...

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Reviews seem quite positive for it. Probably cheaper than having to buy sub,box,amps, wiring etc.

Bulvine

Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Reviews seem quite positive for it. Probably cheaper than having to buy sub,box,amps, wiring etc.
To my benefit I already have a speaker box i used previously in storage. Thought I think the box would need to be rebuilt. Its got 2 Fosgate 10s and a 1000 watt amp. it been close to 20 year old though so who knows if they will still work...

slvslv

Registered Member
Kansas
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I'd be surprised if that powered Kicker subwoofer would add much to the system. It's an 8" woofer in a shallow enclosure with only 150 watts @ 8 ohms. Pretty similar to what's in there now. I'm guessing the sub is getting at least 100 of the 598 watts from the Lexicon amp. But who knows? Maybe its worth it? Please post your results if you end up doing this!

But before you do anything, you should probably read this thread about adding/replacing subwoofer(s) to this system as it may result in no sound. The original author of the thread never said whether he tried it and what results he got. So be forewarned this may not work. Has anyone successfully tried this? I'd like to know.

Upgrading rear deck subwoofer on lexicon 17 speaker system for 2012 equus?

My brother gave me a powered Bazooka sub that I was going to put in my TVR (British "wedge" convertible similar to a Triumph TR-7) but never got around to it. I may give it a try in the Equus just to see if it will work without the possible issues mentioned in the above referenced thread. I'll probably wait until temps warm up a bit before doing this but I'll report back my results when I do.

Bulvine

Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I'd be surprised if that powered Kicker subwoofer would add much to the system. It's an 8" woofer in a shallow enclosure with only 150 watts @ 8 ohms. Pretty similar to what's in there now. I'm guessing the sub is getting at least 100 of the 598 watts from the Lexicon amp. But who knows? Maybe its worth it? Please post your results if you end up doing this!

But before you do anything, you should probably read this thread about adding/replacing subwoofer(s) to this system as it may result in no sound. The original author of the thread never said whether he tried it and what results he got. So be forewarned this may not work. Has anyone successfully tried this? I'd like to know.

Upgrading rear deck subwoofer on lexicon 17 speaker system for 2012 equus?

My brother gave me a powered Bazooka sub that I was going to put in my TVR (British "wedge" convertible similar to a Triumph TR-7) but never got around to it. I may give it a try in the Equus just to see if it will work without the possible issues mentioned in the above referenced thread. I'll probably wait until temps warm up a bit before doing this but I'll report back my results when I do.
If I do anything it will be to add a sub, not replace. I saw warnings of this to.