2016 Equus Signature - Weak Bass?

Bulvine

Getting familiar with the group...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Just an update. The dealer says they don't hear anything wrong with the audio. But they don't have one to compare to. I sent to another dealer that had one and it sold before I got there. One thing I did learn at the Hyundai Dealer is that the car had a amp replaced at 5 miles. Before it was even put in service. So I still think they need to look into this further. They need to replace the speaker grill in the dash because its wasn't installed correctly when, odd enough, they also replaced the dash cover too at the same time the amp was done. Also my lever to bring down the rear center console is also not releasing correctly so they ordered a part for that. Is they cant resolve the stereo issue I may just put this car back up for sale and get a Genesis like I originally intended. This caught my eye cause of the 7500k miles it had. But if its going to be a pain in the butt I dont wanna drop another 1000 at the custom stereo store to install a box and amp. I'm starting to regret trading in my 2011 4.6 Genesis on this.

slvslv

Registered Member
Kansas
Can you hear or feel the bass coming from the factory sub? If so, it's probably working as it supposed to. Turn it up and make sure your source material contains sub-bass. The rear window will vibrate considerably. But if there is no visual confirmation and no sound I would definitely suspect the amp. And installing an aftermarket solution will not work until that amp is working.

I understand how you feel about your old Genesis. I had mine for seven years. Great car. Super stereo. But this car is a definite upgrade in almost every way. And the audio should be very close to your old system. If you're really considering a new Genesis (G80) be sure to do extensive listening tests. I did and between the 2017 G80 and my 2016 Equus they sounded identical. I went with the Equus, at almost $20,000 off, saving nearly $10,000 from what I would have paid for the Genesis. Wasn't even looking at the Equus until that deal came around. I'd do it again.

Good luck. Hope it works out. Let us know what you end up doing!

Bulvine

Florida
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Funny you should reply today. Today my wife was in the back and she said at one point she couldn't hear anything from the rear deck. Just from the tweeters on the sides. After we got home I went in a came out to try it myself and it was working but still not bass and I could feel anything upless cranked up over 30. Remember I have the bass set to max so it should do something. Also to top it off my rear audio controls are not working. Only the seat controls function. The radio does not have the rear controls disabled. Even more upsetting the channel down button actually lowers the volume. None of the other controls work. I think I now know when someone traded the car in with 7590 miles on it. One positive note. THe dealer I take it to for repairs has just received one just like mine in the used inventory with one 6500 miles on it. I now have something I can compare it to and prove to the dealer that my is not working correctly and they cant deny it.

slvslv

Registered Member
Kansas
Sorry to hear you're having so many issues with this car. Did you test everything before purchasing it? I can't imagine they'd sell it with all of those issues. I just read over the warranty for this vehicle and it is indeed transferable, so you should be covered on that. Attached herewith is a page from the warranty manual that shows what is covered and for how long. Looks like the radio/electronics are covered for 5 years so you should be covered there, too.

Since the dealer has another Equus in stock for comparison, I wouldn't delay going in for an A-B comparison of everything that concerns you. Then hold the dealer to make all warranty repairs until it is as it should be. Compare again. Then assess if you still want to keep it as-is, modify it, or sell it. Let me know what you find out! Good luck.

Attachments

Bulvine

Florida
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
As it would figure, the car sold before I could get to it. The Equus doesn't seem to last long. It was bought from someone out of state sight unseen. Also the dealer did find the control module is bad for the rear console. And of course the part has to be ordered. When I brought it to them the audio controls weren't working. They replaced the cable to the release handle to fix the sticking issue and then all the seat controls stopped working to. Also the latch to let down the center console still seems to stick, thought not as bad. We'll see what happens when the control module comes in next week.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.