2016 Equus Tire wear issues

Chanslor

Hasn't posted much yet...
Need some help here....purchased my 2016 Equus 7 months ago...love the car...drive 40K a year for work. Last month at 17000 miles I started to feel the rear sliding a little. Examined my tires to find the factory Continentals completely bald. Front had minimal wear. Figured they were cheap "dealer lot tires" replaced with a BF Goodwrich product....6000 miles later and the rear tires are showing excessive wear....over half tread gone....front tires barley look worn. Went to the dealership to discuss possible issues. They stated the BF Goodwrich tires were "too soft a compound" want to sell me Michelins at $400 each....but only the rear tires are wearing like this. Can anyone shed some light on this issue....Thanks

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
First, don't buy tires at a dealer. Not sure where you live, but Costco and Discount Tires are the best, and they will give you good advice. But first, you may want to look at tire ratings online at www.Tirerack.com

Second, just knowing the manufacturer means nothing. You must know the tire model, as each manufacturer makes many models of tires that emphasize different things such as tread life, comfort, MPG (energy saver tires), handling, braking, snow, etc.

But part of the problem may be your driving habits, I don't really know. Keep in mind that the 5.0L engine has a lot of power, so go easy on the gas when first starting up, and don't drive in sport mode (at least not all the time). Since the Equus is a rear wheel drive car, the drive wheels will wear more quickly unless you rotate them. If you can rotate them (I don't recall if that is allowed on the 2016 Equus and whether front and rear are the same size), then make sure you do that at least every 7500 miles, and 5000 miles is preferred.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Do you carry a lot of weight in the trunk? Fast acceleration? Go to a good tire shop and show them the problem and discuss option. Did you look at tread wear ratings? On your tire size I see them running from 220 to 560. Quite a difference, not critical for the little old lady that just goes to church on Sunday but with your driving, wear is a big deal.

There is a tire buying guide on tirerack.com that may help you.

Chanslor

Thanks Mark, I'm a 50 yr old Real Estate Broker in Georgia...I drive alot but not necessarily heavy footed. I took the car into the dealership and they stated that the BF Goodwrich G force tires that I put on it were way too soft of a compound. They also checked the rear independant suspension and found it to be okay. That being said I'm amazed at those tires wearing out in less than 6K miles. The dealership encouraged me to file a claim with the manufacturer and put two hard compound (520) Michilens on the rear. Front tires show little to no wear at 6K miles (cannot rotate because of size diff). So we'll see how these do!

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Thanks Mark, I'm a 50 yr old Real Estate Broker in Georgia...I drive alot but not necessarily heavy footed. I took the car into the dealership and they stated that the BF Goodwrich G force tires that I put on it were way too soft of a compound. They also checked the rear independant suspension and found it to be okay. That being said I'm amazed at those tires wearing out in less than 6K miles. The dealership encouraged me to file a claim with the manufacturer and put two hard compound (520) Michilens on the rear. Front tires show little to no wear at 6K miles (cannot rotate because of size diff). So we'll see how these do!
Not sure if you have already had the dealer replace the tires, but as I said, I would not go to a dealer for tires, but use Costco (first) or Discount Tire (second). They can advise you on the best tire make and model to use.

Make sure you tires are properly inflated to the PSI on the door jamb of the driver, but in your case I would add 2 PSI to that. Costco provides free nitrogen (which leaks less than air), and they will top it off anytime you need it without an appointment. If you live in Atlanta, there are several Costco Tire shops around, and membership is worth the price. Tires that are not properly inflated will wear much fast than normal.

One thing about the Equus is that it does have an air suspension, and sometimes they have problems (more often than regular suspensions), which "could" be causing the tire to wear. A dealer my not want to admit there is a problem if they sold the car to you.

As previously stated, the rear tires on a RWD car are going to wear much faster than the fronts, especially with such a powerful engine as the 5.0L V8. You may not think you are heavy-footed compared to previous cars, but it is very easy to spin the rear wheels on such a car with a powerful engine. I find that I sometimes inadvertently spin the rear wheels on my Genesis 3.8L V6. So make sure you are not in sport driving mode, and you may want to use economy or even snow mode (which starts the car in 2nd gear instead of first gear). Check the owners manual to see how to adjust driving modes.

Equalizer

TN
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Did you get an alignment? My 2011 Genesis was eating rear tires until I had the car aligned. Current Pirelli Cinturato P7s have 25k miles on them and show minimal wear.

SCVDon

Registered Member
If rear tires are wearing out evenly across the full width without cupping then alignment is not likely. If wearing on the inner or outer edge or showing signs of cupping then a 4 wheel alignment is in order. Do not carry heavy loads in the trunk when not needed. If the center of the thread is wearing or not wearing then tire pressure is an issue too. Stealerships love to lower tire pressure down so the car rides smoothly - but you eat the cost of new tires due to uneven wear. Center worn out - too much pressure, center okay, edges gone then too little pressure - both easy to stop if you maintain correct tire pressure. Put on the correct size tires, inflate to the door sill pressures and be careful making jack-rabbit starts. The Equus does not have a limited-slip (AKA positraction) differential. I can light up the right rear making right hand turns from stops with little effort, in fact it is hard not to burn rubber if pulling out into traffic on dry roads. Heavy car, lot's of power and crappy OEM Conti tires! Also, rotate tires at every oil change will extend tire life even if limited to right to left due to size differences front to rear.

Gozar

Registered Member
Austin, TX
2016 Ultimate and the OEM Conti’s got me to mid 20k, replaces with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ at Costco and with around 6k in these they still look new. I

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.