2016 Equus Ultimate

MG8

Proud owner of two Genesis vehicles
San Francisco/Las Vegas
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
no filter, you can either do a drain and fill x 5qts or do a complete flush x 10qts price depends on dealership but can range from 17.93 to 24.93 a qt

princelybug

SUSTAINING MEMBER
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Thank you, MG8.

Is 5qts the official capacity for a drain/fill? I see the Hyundai recommended fluid is GS ATF SP-IV-RR. Has anyone tried aftermarket fluid?

Last edited:

princelybug

SUSTAINING MEMBER
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Last edited:

DSXMachina

Just passing through.
Nashua NH
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Hi princelybug. I'm curious as to why you want to change the trans fluid. Do you have a very high mileage 2016 or have you been doing a lot of heavy towing? Hyundai doesn't recommend it and as a mechanic I can tell you it probably isn't necessary. If you are having a driveability problem (harsh or late shifts for instance) then it is very unlikely that a fluid change is going to make a difference. The fluid will never 'wear out' and if it has become contaminated then you have a much bigger problem than the fluid.

MG8

San Francisco/Las Vegas
Genesis Model Type
Hi princelybug. I'm curious as to why you want to change the trans fluid. Do you have a very high mileage 2016 or have you been doing a lot of heavy towing? Hyundai doesn't recommend it and as a mechanic I can tell you it probably isn't necessary. If you are having a driveability problem (harsh or late shifts for instance) then it is very unlikely that a fluid change is going to make a difference. The fluid will never 'wear out' and if it has become contaminated then you have a much bigger problem than the fluid.
09 to 11 has the 6sp that fluid is life time

DSXMachina

Just passing through.
Nashua NH
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
09 to 11 has the 6sp that fluid is life time
Right MG8, but my response was to the OP's '16 8 speed (AT).

princelybug

SUSTAINING MEMBER
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)

DSXMachina

Just passing through.
Nashua NH
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I'm the last person to advise against it! Me of the 2500 mile oil change intervals. Why? Because I want to. So if you want to change the ATF that's enough reason for me. :cool:

princelybug

SUSTAINING MEMBER
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Just updated to Map Version: 12.41.52

It took about 80 minutes from the time I first plugged in the flash drive.

I updated from Map Version: 07.43.43, which I presume is what came with the car from the factory (I'm the 2nd owner - my car's build date is 4/4/2015).

*Annoying fact - There isn't a prompt to unplug the flash drive after it completes the update. I didn't unplug it right away, so it started the update process all over again. I ended up going through the whole process twice! One would think programming in an "unplug" prompt would be simple and logical. :SMH: :annoyed: (n)

Last edited:

DSXMachina

Just passing through.
Nashua NH
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Just updated to Map Version: 12.41.52

It took about 80 minutes from the time I first plugged in the flash drive.

I updated from Map Version: 07.43.43, which I presume is what came with the car from the factory (I'm the 2nd owner - my car's build date is 4/4/2015).

*Annoying fact - There isn't a prompt to unplug the flash drive after it completes the update. I didn't unplug it right away, so it started the update process all over again. I ended up going through the whole process twice! One would think programming in an "unplug" prompt would be simple and logical. :SMH: :annoyed: (n)
Ha, I hear your pain, except I was in the loop from hell for 5 hours before I decided enough was enough and shut off the engine.

princelybug

SUSTAINING MEMBER
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Is there any way to get rid of or bypass these screens on startup?
EDC5B79D-012B-47AF-8723-8D39CC964D46.jpeg E04EB847-B422-485E-B40C-7CDF2DF07202.jpeg

princelybug

SUSTAINING MEMBER
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Just received my vehicle back from the dealership. Now, these 2 icons show up. Anyone know what they mean and how I can get rid of them?

1. What is the small "A" to the left?
2. Why are the folding mirrors showing up in red? (The mirrors do fold/unfold upon lock/unlock) IMG_7481.jpg IMG_7482.jpg

princelybug

SUSTAINING MEMBER
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Anyone?

princelybug

SUSTAINING MEMBER
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Just hit 60K on my Equus. Took her to my indy for trans pan/filter replacement. He was able to drain/fill just under 7qts of fluid. There is a noticeable improvement in shift quality. I recommend it.

If I still have the car at 120K, I'll do it again.

MG8

San Francisco/Las Vegas
Genesis Model Type
Just hit 60K on my Equus. Took her to my indy for trans pan/filter replacement. He was able to drain/fill just under 7qts of fluid. There is a noticeable improvement in shift quality. I recommend it.

maintenance is the key .

DSXMachina

Just passing through.
Nashua NH
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)

Hey -bug, save yourself some money. You did not need a filter. I guarantee that. The ONLY time a filter needs replacing is when something bad has happened to the transmission. Otherwise they NEVER get dirty or clog. They do not do the same kind of work as oil filters and air filters. Their only job is to keep chunks of stuff which fall loose from casting flash or gear teeth or clutches from getting up into the valve bodies and wreaking havoc.
If your tech charged you for 7 qts then he must have used a flushing machine to do the transfer. That's good because it gets most of what's in the pan, the pump and the torque converter. Dropping the pan will only remove a couple quarts at most. By using the flushing method there is no need to drop the pan. And therefore the filter would not have needed to be changed. Less work+fewer parts = less cost and less risk.

princelybug

SUSTAINING MEMBER
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Hey -bug, save yourself some money. You did not need a filter. I guarantee that. The ONLY time a filter needs replacing is when something bad has happened to the transmission.

Thank you for the advice! Will definitely heed for the future.

I wanted to replace the pan/filter this time since it might’ve contained metal shavings from being broken in since new.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums