2016 Genesis 3.8 AWD CPO with 9K miles - Red with gray interior - all option packages

RPG

Picked up my ‘new’ car less than two weeks ago. So far, so good. Pretty car inside and out that rides like a dream. Hyundai really did the technology properly, unlike a 2015 Jeep GC Summit I had for two years and 10K miles. Jeep did the technology extremely poorly, not to mention that this huge vehicle had very little leg room in back. Interesting that the Genesis is in many ways no better than my 2002 Chrysler Concorde Limited with 63K miles. The Concorde 3.5 liter 24 valve engine has 250 HP and 250 ft lbs torque, significantly less than the Genesis, but the FWD Concorde is much lighter and is quick enough. The lighter Concorde also drives and rides like a dream with very little road, tire or wind noise, is more athletic feeling, has a similarly large back seat and an appreciably larger trunk. The 2002 FWD Chrysler has heated seats, moonroof, ABS, factory navigation and Sirius, six CD changer with amazingly good factory sound system, electronic ‘positraction,’ Autostick, real wood interior trim including the steering wheel, TPMS, and the most comfortable seats of any car I’ve ever owned, including the new Genesis. Wish the Concorde had more than four gears, but not a major drawback. Car is dark grey with grey and beige two tone leather interior with beautiful round electroluminescent gauges and classy looking analog clock, still looks beautiful and distinctive, standing out from all the lookalike ugly cars on the road. And it’s been very reliable and low maintenance with the exception of $1,000 to replace the transmission solenoid pack.

Don’t get me wrong - I am delighted with my new Genesis. I hope it will treat me as well as the Chrysler has.

Jamesalanb

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Well this was quite the endorsement for an almost 20 year old Chrysler product! Hope your Genesis can compete...

RPG

BTW, bought my 2016 at First Hyundai in North Attleboro, MA. Very good dealership. Second car I’ve bought from them. First was three years ago, a 2013 CPO Sonata with 14K miles for my daughter. First Hyundai makes a point of carrying a huge inventory of off-lease CPO cars, Genesis and all other models. The salesman, Rodney Webster, took good care of us.

Last edited:

RPG

Safety is a relative term. My wife was badly injured years ago in a very low speed accident, not her fault, when the steering wheel airbag broke her arm in four places. I have pulled the airbag fuse from the Chrysler. Airbags are dangerous, as we have learned from Takata. Even when they work properly they can maim and blind. Airbags are for idiots who won't wear seatbelts. I put a $2 convex mirror in the lower corner of my driver side door mirror - no more blind spot! I have been driving since 1961, long before ABS, airbags, automatic braking, rear view cameras, etc., all without incident. All the gimmicks in the world don't equal being careful and attentive. I drive fast when I can and slow when I should. The best safety is from avoiding an accident and if that is not possible wearing a seat belt in a substantial car that weighs well over 3,000 pounds.

RPG

Safety has many components. I have pulled the airbag fuse on my Chrysler. My wife was in a very low speed accident, 100% the fault of the other driver, in 2009. Steering wheel airbag broke her arm in four places. Airbags are for idiots who won't wear seat belts. Airbags can kill, maim and blind even when they work as designed, and when they don't work as designed, well just look at the Takata fiasco. I have been driving since 1961 without incident, most of the time before ABS, blind spot monitors, airbags, backup cameras, etc. There is no electronic substitute for attentiveness and skill. I drive fast when I can and slow when I should. I stuck a $2 convex mirror on the lower inside corner of my driver side door mirror - works better than a blind spot monitor. Paying attention will in most cases keep you out of an accident, and when it doesn't your best line of defense is wearing your seat belt in a solid sedan that weighs well over 3,000 pounds (the Concorde weighs in at 3,574 pounds). Safety is a carefully driven, well maintained car with four excellent tires, appropriate for the season (snows in New England winters), good brakes, no alcohol or drugs and most of all no cell 'phone distraction.

liamlunchtray

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
BTW, bought my 2016 at First Hyundai in North Attleboro, MA. Very good dealership. Second car I’ve bought from them. First was three years ago, a 2013 CPO Sonata with 14K miles for my daughter. First Hyundai makes a point of carrying a huge inventory of off-lease CPO cars, Genesis and all other models. The salesman, Rodney Webster, took good care of us.
How did you make out negotiating at First? Their stock is impressive, but their listed prices on CPO cars seem to consistantly be $2-3k than what others are charging. I was curious how much wiggle room there is on those prices.

RPG

No negotiation - their price is the price. That said, I feel I got a good deal, or at least a good enough one. 2016 CPO Genesis 3.8 AWD with all three option packages (02, 03 and 04), less than 9K miles, perfect shape, exact colors I wanted and less than 40 miles from my home, avoiding all the expense and hassle of actually getting the car home. Cost me $31,000 plus $499 dealer fees (inspection sticker and all registry trips) plus $199 for some kind of unnecessary paint and/or fabric protection. Car was exactly the one I wanted, and I could see and drive it before buying. Car had some minor scratches on the trunk, which they offered to buff out but I did it locally for $75 to avoid the 70 miles round trip. I’m almost 74, so this may be the last car I ever buy. An extra thousand or two, if that was the case, was worth it to me to get exactly the car I wanted.

Also, not many dealers stock a decent inventory of CPO cars. IMO, the dealership deserves premium pricing for offering a premium buying experience.

So far I have gotten a full size matching wheel and Michelin tire, since I am not a fan of donut spares. Also got the obligatory wings to replace the stylized “H” on the trunk.
Have driven about 400 miles since picking up the car, and I am extremely pleased with it. The car lives up to its glowing reviews from all the auto magazines.

liamlunchtray

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Ahh, Bummer. Yes, they definitely have the best selection, but the prices are just always too high by a couple grand. Tack on an extra $700 in incidental fees and its just way out of my price range. Oh well, I'm sure I'll get a decent road trip squeezed in trying to find the right car at the right price.

Glad you're enjoying your car! I cant wait.

FlySwatter

Been here awhile...
Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I wonder if tampering with a safety system can cause the insurance company not to pay a claim.
Not a reputable insurance company. I understand that insurance companies and attorneys have bad reputations, and in may cases, well earned. I have worked for one of the larger ones for 30 years and can tell you I'm unaware of any instances of a customer being purposfully screwed.

glennk

Been here awhile...
Dallas, TX
If you don't wear your belts during a collision, insurance doesn't have to cover medical payments. I assume if you were in a high speed crash and the bags didn't deploy, the first place I'd look at is the fuse box.

RPG

Look into the statistics. Takata airbags have killed 24 and injured over 200. Even airbags that work as designed can and often do kill, blind and maim. My wife has two metal rods in her arm after an accident that barely scratched the paint. Airbgas are called supplemental restraints but they were mandated by DOT because of low seat belt compliance rates, in other words to protect independent souls who don't want the government telling them what to do. Hopefully the multistage airbags in the Genesis are safer than the early generation airbags, which deployed with full force no matter the speed or violence of the collision.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.