• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2017/2018 radio swap in 2016 ultimate?

Sebastian4k

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I am looking to get carplay/android auto in my 2016 3.8 awd ultimate but unfortunately due to the limitations on the 2016 it is not possible. Will swapping to a 2017/2018 radio that does have carplay compatibility work out? has this been before? Thanks!

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I am looking to get carplay/android auto in my 2016 3.8 awd ultimate but unfortunately due to the limitations on the 2016 it is not possible. Will swapping to a 2017/2018 radio that does have carplay compatibility work out? has this been before? Thanks!
I've wondered about this as well... I've gotten no real opinion one way or the other. I would think that it would be physically possible but whether or not the new unit's OS would "play nice" with the rest of the existing systems is an open question. Seems to me that other than CP/AA functionality there would be no real difference otherwise.

But I'm no engineer...

Whitey

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Genesis Model Type

Sebastian4k

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Intriguing thought. :unsure:
I've sort of gotten used to the 9.2 system in my '16 vs. the 8.0 in the prior '15, but AA and CP would be nice to have. I suspect the cost just to swap would be prohibitive though.
for reference i found this radio on ebay but im not sure if its just as simple as plug and play and hope that all the existing hardware plays nicely with the new radio.. or is there more to it?
OEM 17-19 Hyundai Genesis G80 Navigation Sirius XM Player Radio 96560-B17704X | eBay

Whitey

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I'd guess there's more to it than just that. Of course, a simple swap at $149 would cause many of us here to jump on this assuming it would work, but I'm thinking the actual fit, the '15-16 vs '17-19 OS changes, the nav versions on SD card, etc., not even bringing into account the wiring/interaction with existing systems as skip mentioned. I doubt it would be that easy...
Yeah... they don't say which unit that it is. Jog wheel or Android touch screen only. That'd make a big difference.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
For a $150 bucks it might be worth a shot.... I kinda really doubt the wiring interfaces are different. At the end of the day, the rest of the car is the same. The H/U just has more functionality. Unless there's something in the wiring bus that would identify it as an incompatible component and refuse to communicate with it.

Short version - we won't know until it's tried.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Last edited:

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
this is true..

there are significant differences between the jog dial and touch only (to be expected) looking at the back, the jog dial has extra connectors the touch only doesn't have and the main ones appear to even be a different shape.

but apples to apple the 2015 --> 2018 "should" be the same. the difference as I understand it is the mainboard in the unit, difference piece of hardware taking different firmware (windows CE based unit in 2015-2017 and Linux/Android Based in 2018+) .

all things being equal, if all the connectors are the same, the only real difference might be the mainboard and firmware, then there is no reason it shouldn't work.

my concern would be things like the backup sensors, camera, etc. if the other modules on the BUS need something in that old HU that they can't find they may not work, don't really know if Hyundai changed the programming to accommodate the newer HU and different OS.
Well... the H/U doesn't look too tough to get to -

Whitey

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type

Sebastian4k

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Sebastian can TOFTT and buy it and try it, lol. Then we will all know!

If it works, I can already see the mad scramble to find replacement units.
sure ill give it a shot. To everyone out there.. send a small donation my way for R&D purposes lol.
CashApp: $Sebastian4k

Sebastian4k

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Thanks to Whitey i bought the radio.. Will keep everyone posted with an install/pics when received. Expected arrival Oct. 2nd. Will this be the answer to us Ultimate owners for AA/CP?? Stay tuned and find out..! and donate for the cause at my cashapp listed above!

Whitey

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type

Secondgensedan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
thanks for trying this out. sent ya a few $ for your time and effort on this. interested to see if this works. i have my doubts, but if it does... !!!!

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Thanks to Whitey i bought the radio.. Will keep everyone posted with an install/pics when received. Expected arrival Oct. 2nd. Will this be the answer to us Ultimate owners for AA/CP?? Stay tuned and find out..! and donate for the cause at my cashapp listed above!
It would be nice to have my theory confirmed.... I wondered about this & started a post about this several months ago after I bought my 5.0.

Fingers Crossed.

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I was just about to post that it looks like someone pulled the trigger, as the eBay auction ended, lol.

I was poking around on HyundaiPartsDeal.com to quickly check and says it won't fit my '16, but that's to be expected on a parts site. The listed price for that is just under $3.5k (see below), so should this miraculously work I'd say you got the deal of the century. We shall soon see. 🤞

View attachment 23476
Might be more to be had... The sites on ebay rarely state specifics on whether it's jog wheel or not.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums