• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2017 G80 Interior Rattle

who66

Hasn't posted much yet...
Houston, Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I recently purchased a 2017 G80 3.8 Ultimate, and although I really like this car, I noticed a rattle over bumps (don't hear it on smooth highways). The rattle sounds like metal, maybe a spring or coil? Only thing is I cannot determine where exactly it is coming from. At first I thought from the rear seat area, perhaps the lid where the rear speakers are mounted, or perhaps the rear sunshade. However, after taking it in today and getting a loaner, the loaner is doing the same thing and now it sounds more like it is coming from the front console area. The loaner is a base model, so it wouldn't be caused by anything on the option packages. Has anyone experienced this yet? If so, have you been able to isolate what is causing the noise? Thanks in advance!

mcginnpm

Registered Member
Don't know if this helps. I had a "rattle" a while back that I heard when going over very rough roads which seemed to be coming from the console area, but I couldn't quite be sure. My car was quiet as a mouse on smooth roads and even on mildly bumpy roads, but on very rough roads I would hear the "rattle". Days later I noticed a single Skittles hard candy in the gap between the seat and the extendable thigh support cushion (I have mine extended about 1"). I had been eating Skittles a few days earlier and I had dropped a few in my lap while I was driving. I thought that I'd gotten them all, but one obviously dropped into the gap unnoticed by me. When I removed it after finding it, I never heard the "rattle" on rough roads again. The gap between the seat and the extendable thigh support cushion has a hard plastic spacer and I'm guessing that the "rattle" I was hearing was that the hard candy bouncing on the plastic surface. Or perhaps it's just a coincidence.

onailrof

Getting familiar with the group...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have 7000 miles on mine (bought in Oct - I drive a lot!). No issues with rattles.
Hopefully the dealer can figure it out!

pmcjr

Been here awhile...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
On a previous car I was experiencing a rattle much like the one described here. It turned out to be my eye glass case in the driver's door pocket. I set them on a folded microfiber cloth and that prevented the case from rattling against the hard sided pocket. As to my '17 G80, it's the most quiet car I've ever had. I hope they can fix your rattle. Anything loose items in the glove box banging around?

NYG80

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have a 2017 7800 miles got it in October the only rattle I get is the private curtain thing but not crazy rattle

xsolara

Registered Member
Check the front passenger seat belt... it could be hitting the side post...try buckling the belt and do a drive test

flight13

Valencia, CA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I recently started to get a rattle in my dash. It has gradually been getting worse. I'm guessing there's a loose clip or something around the nav screen. If I press on the trim above the hazards button, it seems to help. Pretty bummed about it since it's such a quiet car otherwise.

who66

Houston, Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Is everything secured in the trunk?

Yes, I did check there first. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

On a previous car I was experiencing a rattle much like the one described here. It turned out to be my eye glass case in the driver's door pocket. I set them on a folded microfiber cloth and that prevented the case from rattling against the hard sided pocket. As to my '17 G80, it's the most quiet car I've ever had. I hope they can fix your rattle. Anything loose items in the glove box banging around?
I removed everything from the glove box as well and it is still there. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I recently started to get a rattle in my dash. It has gradually been getting worse. I'm guessing there's a loose clip or something around the nav screen. If I press on the trim above the hazards button, it seems to help. Pretty bummed about it since it's such a quiet car otherwise.
It does seem at times like this is coming from the dash. It is at the dealer now so I will keep everyone posted on what they find in case anyone else runs across this problem. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Check the front passenger seat belt... it could be hitting the side post...try buckling the belt and do a drive test
Thanks, I have it at the dealer now so we will see what they find.

H123

Ontario
I have the same problem, I have the rattle sound coming from the rear passenger seat area, I think it is the door . I took it to dealership, they could not find the problem.
I don't think there is much the dealership can do to fix it, it is hard to locate the sound also for them to find it, they have to pull apart the doors and the seats, that will result in more rattle when they put it all back together.
To me it is the quality issue, I have 15000Km on my car.

pmcjr

Been here awhile...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
"Thanks, I have it at the dealer now so we will see what they find."

Please let us know.

bthor

San Diego
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Yes, I did check there first. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I removed everything from the glove box as well and it is still there. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

It does seem at times like this is coming from the dash. It is at the dealer now so I will keep everyone posted on what they find in case anyone else runs across this problem. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I have it at the dealer now so we will see what they find.
Figure it out yet? Have same issue - happens at +-1100 RPM only

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums