2017 g80 tires please help

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
My stock Michelin MXM4s definitely flat-spot over night. My drive to work is less than 5 miles, so they start to smooth out by the time I pull into the parking lot. (Ok. Maybe a 1/2 mile before...) I do my best to ignore the vibration, but it seems TWICE AS BAD when I pay attention.

DEFINITELY going with the Conti DWS06s next. And YES, they have a soft sidewall, but my style of driving is gentle and relaxed. I don't need a tire that can crank around a corner. They excel in most categories (thus the Dry/Wet/Snow designation) and offer a soft, supple ride.)

The dealership recommended I replace my MXM4s when I bought the car (with 24k miles on it) and the tread is VERY deep, but they say that they're loud.

That's what a good stereo is for. Am replacing the stock stereo w/upgraded components and am going to acoustically seal the trunk so my new sub will perform better, and reduce the exhaust note in the cabin. (Yes. That's a serious car enthusiast VIOLATION ! ! ! ! )

Will replace the tires at 30k. Drove to PA a few weeks ago in the driving rain. The Michelins performed well with no hydroplaning and with decent stopping power. The only thing is getting used to such a HEAVY car. My previous sedan (Infiniti M35) wasn't carrying as much weight and stopped on a dime. (I had slotted disks and upgraded pads).
I just pulled off my 2 front Continentals Extreme Contacts.
My stock Michelin MXM4s definitely flat-spot over night. My drive to work is less than 5 miles, so they start to smooth out by the time I pull into the parking lot. (Ok. Maybe a 1/2 mile before...) I do my best to ignore the vibration, but it seems TWICE AS BAD when I pay attention.

DEFINITELY going with the Conti DWS06s next. And YES, they have a soft sidewall, but my style of driving is gentle and relaxed. I don't need a tire that can crank around a corner. They excel in most categories (thus the Dry/Wet/Snow designation) and offer a soft, supple ride.)

The dealership recommended I replace my MXM4s when I bought the car (with 24k miles on it) and the tread is VERY deep, but they say that they're loud.

That's what a good stereo is for. Am replacing the stock stereo w/upgraded components and am going to acoustically seal the trunk so my new sub will perform better, and reduce the exhaust note in the cabin. (Yes. That's a serious car enthusiast VIOLATION ! ! ! ! )

Will replace the tires at 30k. Drove to PA a few weeks ago in the driving rain. The Michelins performed well with no hydroplaning and with decent stopping power. The only thing is getting used to such a HEAVY car. My previous sedan (Infiniti M35) wasn't carrying as much weight and stopped on a dime. (I had slotted disks and upgraded pads).
I just had to replace my Continentals Extreme Contacts. Took them to get road force balanced. Unfortunately the tires were unable to be Balanced. Both front tires had, what the guy called( hard spots) ! Purchased 2 tires and problem solved.👍

corvette18TRGS

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I just pulled off my 2 front Continentals Extreme Contacts.

I just had to replace my Continentals Extreme Contacts. Took them to get road force balanced. Unfortunately the tires were unable to be Balanced. Both front tires had, what the guy called( hard spots) ! Purchased 2 tires and problem solved.👍
There you go so much easier to check the wheels and buy new tires. Problem solved enjoy the ride

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
There you go so much easier to check the wheels and buy new tires. Problem solved enjoy the ride
Yes Exactly, Its kind of bitter sweet , For the tires had a lot of life left on them. I assume the backs are the same way. However they need replacing so it won't hurt as much! Just like you said corvette18tr if you don't get tires road force balanced you are wasting your time and $. 🙂

corvette18TRGS

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Yes Exactly, Its kind of bitter sweet , For the tires had a lot of life left on them. I assume the backs are the same way. However they need replacing so it won't hurt as much! Just like you said corvette18tr if you don't get tires road force balanced you are wasting your time and $. 🙂
I had 2 bad Michelin’s and purchased 4 new tires. Only had 11,000 on them but AWD has a different thread match requirement than 2 wheel drive and I was happy to go with the Vreds. Love the ride now

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
I had 2 bad Michelin’s and purchased 4 new tires. Only had 11,000 on them but AWD has a different thread match requirement than 2 wheel drive and I was happy to go with the Vreds. Love the ride now
I would have done all 4, however ,I only had the 2 front tires with me. I ordered back 2 and will get them done this weekend. The tire place is a 2 hour round trip for me.

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Gotcha sounds like a good place to live. I’m in NH “Live Free or Die” how many people in Freeman?
1200 give or take? It really is a nice place to live. I get lots of stares driving The Genesis! And 80mph speed limits, so you can enjoy the car. I grew up outside of Philly so its a big change for me. New Hampshire is a Beautiful state as well.

corvette18TRGS

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
1200 give or take? It really is a nice place to live. I get lots of stares driving The Genesis! And 80mph speed limits, so you can enjoy the car. I grew up outside of Philly so its a big change for me. New Hampshire is a Beautiful state as well.
Sounds awesome at least you know your neighbors well

Sparty21

Michigan
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
How long have you had the DWS06? I ran them for 4 years on my 2013 Optima and they had great traction but got a little loud after 15-20k miles. The G80 is so much better insulated that I don't think it will be as noticeable. How is light snow traction? Is your's RWD or AWD? We don't get much snow in Central Ohio but they were pretty decent on my FWD Optima. They were awesome in wet conditions.

I'm considering them again for my Genesis. I currently have cheap Ironman tires that CarMax put on the car and can't stand them. They break traction on the rear on dry pavement all the time and they only have a few hundred miles on them. I'm terrified to see what they do in heavy rain or winter conditions.

I briefly considered the stock Primacy MXM4 but it's hard for me to justify the cost for a comfort oriented tire when the DWS06 performed so well and is nearly $100 per tire cheaper.

I too have the crappy Ironman tires put on by Carmax on my 2017. I’m in Michigan and am curious on how bad they will be this winter. The first time I drove in the rain they broke lose pretty easy pulling out into traffic. I just had my car in for a new water pump and had a 2020 G80 with 5500 miles on it with the Primacy MXM4 tires and to my surprise they were louder than the Ironman tires. So not the worst as long as they can make it on snow this winter. I was leaning toward the OEM tires to replace the Ironman but the loaner experience has me thinking I’ll be looking for something different.

corvette18TRGS

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I too have the crappy Ironman tires put on by Carmax on my 2017. I’m in Michigan and am curious on how bad they will be this winter. The first time I drove in the rain they broke lose pretty easy pulling out into traffic. I just had my car in for a new water pump and had a 2020 G80 with 5500 miles on it with the Primacy MXM4 tires and to my surprise they were louder than the Ironman tires. So not the worst as long as they can make it on snow this winter. I was leaning toward the OEM tires to replace the Ironman but the loaner experience has me thinking I’ll be looking for something different.
You may want to read thru the previous posts on this thread. thread. Some of the posts actually have good info. If you have already read thru the posts hope you found your questions answered.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I just had my car in for a new water pump and had a 2020 G80 with 5500 miles on it with the Primacy MXM4 tires and to my surprise they were louder than the Ironman tires.
I'm really surprised at that, I've got a squared up set of the MXM4 245/45-18's on my '19 G80 and the car is amazingly quiet. It's got 5,000 miles on it.

corvette18TRGS

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I'm really surprised at that, I've got a squared up set of the MXM4 245/45-18's on my '19 G80 and the car is amazingly quiet. It's got 5,000 miles on it.
It’s good that your tires work well. That’s all that matters. Mine did not and that’s all that mattered to me. I like handling and quiet is second. I’d say everyone has their own preferences and luck with tires.

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
It’s good that your tires work well. That’s all that matters. Mine did not and that’s all that mattered to me. I like handling and quiet is second. I’d say everyone has their own preferences and luck with tires.
I totally agree co4vette18TRGS, I believe handling and noise of the tires are totally relative to ones own preference. What you think is quiet I might think are noisy! As long as the owner of the car is happy nothing else matters.

Bill in Alexandria

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Do you know if there's any damping material mounted behind the wheel wells? That could certainly reduce any tire noise to the cabin, even though it's pretty well insulated from the world.

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Do you know if there's any damping material mounted behind the wheel wells? That could certainly reduce any tire noise to the cabin, even though it's pretty well insulated from the world.
I don't have the answer to that question. However I am curious about your question! I just might look this winter while my Genny is in storage.

Last edited:

corvette18TRGS

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I don't have the answer to that question. However I am curious about your question! I just might look this winter while my Genny is in storage.
I do know that sound dampening materials do work. However it’s best use MAY be by installing it under the carpet and behind the door panels. Unsure what to use in the wheel wells.

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
I do know that sound dampening materials do work. However it’s best use MAY be by installing it under the carpet and behind the door panels. Unsure what to use in the wheel you are absolutely correct. I am not sure if you could get the car much quieter than it already is. I used that stuff in some older cars that I have restored. IMO it would not be worth the hours upon hours of labor that it would take to do that to the Genesis.. Way too much work .!

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums