2017 g80 tires please help

Bill in Alexandria

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Law of diminishing returns. And it's a VERY quiet car. I'll be getting dynamat installed in the doors and trunk lid when I replace the speakers. I'm sure it will be great without any further sound deadening/acoustic insulation.

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Law of diminishing returns. And it's a VERY quiet car. I'll be getting dynamat installed in the doors and trunk lid when I replace the speakers. I'm sure it will be great without any further sound deadening/acoustic insulation.
That's a good idea. Easy 3nough to do in those spots. I had a 68 Bronco I owned and restored. I did that to every seface I could. Wow did it help out that tin can.🙂

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Let me know how that speaker replacement t goes for you!

corvette18TRGS

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I agree it’s a very quiet car as it is. Unsure how it would go back together with the added thickness.
Do not know if it is worth the money to quiet down an already quiet car. I’d not take a risk that things would fit after adding the sound deadener. Could the car lose any of the air exchange necessary to allow for the natural drying of the moisture in the air under the added mats?

Bill in Alexandria

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Unfortunately, the installation date is mid-November. What I can share is that I got 2 sets of JBL GX608C component speakers (for front and rear doors) at 2.3 ohms. Only the fronts are components in the G80, but I wanted the 6.5" midranges to be identical and will be using baffles for enhanced sound. You can have two speakers with the same impedance (let's say 4 ohms) but DIFFERENT sensitivities/efficiencies (measured in db) and one set will be louder than the other under the same current/wattage. So I won't be using the tweeters in the rear door.

I'll be powering a Polk Audio 8" DVC 750 sub with a Rockford Fosgate monoblock R2-500X1 amp and damping the rear deck. It will DEFINITELY sound better, but am using the stock amp for the door speakers, so the sub will be set around 1 or 1.5 out of 10 to keep from overpowering the remaining speakers.

Search "POOGE" for greater detail on audio enhancement. I'm a former Aerospace Engineer, so I know enough about speakers to be dangerous. Electrical Engineers are kings of that jungle. (And acoustic engineers of course...)

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I am replacing the stock stereo
Curious which model G80 you have. Also, are you concerned with possibly losing any steering wheel controls, or voice integration?

I've got the base G80 and the radio / stereo system stinks. Sorry, I know this is off topic, we could start a new thread.

Bill in Alexandria

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Curious which model G80 you have. Also, are you concerned with possibly losing any steering wheel controls, or voice integration?

I've got the base G80 and the radio / stereo system stinks. Sorry, I know this is off topic, we could start a new thread.
All my fault. I veered into stereo land, and made a misleading statement that I'm replacing the stock stereo. I have a 2018 base G80 without the fancy tech package (no pano sunroof or large infotainment screen or dial aft of the shift lever).

I'm not replacing the original amplifier or head unit which would bung up the voice control/steering wheel controls, just pulling the original speaker level input to the old sub and re-routing it to the monoblock amp to add some juice to the new (4 ohm) sub. The rest of the speakers are just "remove and replace," but will add a shitload of sound deadening material and baffles (to direct mid-woof into the cabin more effectively). The "new" system will be clearer and have a slightly greater volume due to the baffles and removing extraneous noise from the doors, floor and trunk as well as a tight, refined low end.

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Unfortunately, the installation date is mid-November. What I can share is that I got 2 sets of JBL GX608C component speakers (for front and rear doors) at 2.3 ohms. Only the fronts are components in the G80, but I wanted the 6.5" midranges to be identical and will be using baffles for enhanced sound. You can have two speakers with the same impedance (let's say 4 ohms) but DIFFERENT sensitivities/efficiencies (measured in db) and one set will be louder than the other under the same current/wattage. So I won't be using the tweeters in the rear door.

I'll be powering a Polk Audio 8" DVC 750 sub with a Rockford Fosgate monoblock R2-500X1 amp and damping the rear deck. It will DEFINITELY sound better, but am using the stock amp for the door speakers, so the sub will be set around 1 or 1.5 out of 10 to keep from overpowering the remaining speakers.

Search "POOGE" for greater detail on audio enhancement. I'm a former Aerospace Engineer, so I know enough about speakers to be dangerous. Electrical Engineers are kings of that jungle. (And acoustic engineers of course...)
All my fault. I veered into stereo land, and made a misleading statement that I'm replacing the stock stereo. I have a 2018 base G80 without the fancy tech package (no pano sunroof or large infotainment screen or dial aft of the shift lever).

I'm not replacing the original amplifier or head unit which would bung up the voice control/steering wheel controls, just pulling the original speaker level input to the old sub and re-routing it to the monoblock amp to add some juice to the new (4 ohm) sub. The rest of the speakers are just "remove and replace," but will add a shitload of sound deadening material and baffles (to direct mid-woof into the cabin more effectively). The "new" system will be clearer and have a slightly greater volume due to the baffles and removing extraneous noise from the doors, floor and trunk as well as a tight, refined low end.
Thats is usually the way it happens. For me its when I get on this forum and start reading..... Next thing I know I am mounting up new tires or bolting 9n a set of mudguards..

Bill in Alexandria

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thats is usually the way it happens. For me its when I get on this forum and start reading..... Next thing I know I am mounting up new tires or bolting 9n a set of mudguards..
6 months ago, I never HEARD of a Genesis, and now I'm pimping my ride...This forum is excellent, but it can thin the wallet a little.

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
6 months ago, I never HEARD of a Genesis, and now I'm pimping my ride...This forum is excellent, but it can thin the wallet a little.
Yes it can! I heard of the Genesis before, but never really thought about buying one. I started off just wanting something newer. Then I started researching and I was hooked . Ended flying out to Chicago to get one and drove it 700miles home. 15 5.0 Ultimate. I just absolutely love this car. 420hp 28mpg! 🙂

Bill in Alexandria

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Yes it can! I heard of the Genesis before, but never really thought about buying one. I started off just wanting something newer. Then I started researching and I was hooked . Ended flying out to Chicago to get one and drove it 700miles home. 15 5.0 Ultimate. I just absolutely love this car. 420hp 28mpg! 🙂
NICE ! ! ! ! Congrats on your purchase. You were smilin' for 700 miles.

I was on the fence and was considering holding out until January for an off-lease 3.3T Sport, but realized that I prefer a smoother ride and don't need the extra horses. A single-owner 2018 fell in my lap and I couldn't say no. I can mod the ECU on the 3.8 if I feel like I need a bit more "grunt" in the future, but I'm usually in no hurry to get anywhere, so it fits my driving style.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

No problem at all, I think we have basically the same car, I'd love to get better sound out if it. But depending on how my 3 year lease goes, I may return my base '19 3.8 and find a '20 5.0 Ultimate. That should improve the radio system.

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
No problem at all, I think we have basically the same car, I'd love to get better sound out if it. But depending on how my 3 year lease goes, I may return my base '19 3.8 and find a '20 5.0 Ultimate. That should improve the radio system.
I am sure you will love the 5.0 Ultimate TinsleyC.. The smooth acceleration of the 5.0 is Awesome. I can't imagine the car without a 5.0.

Bill in Alexandria

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
If you're itching for a 5.0, you can transfer your lease. (I was considering a lease transfer for 6 months to a year as a "trial period" instead of buying it outright, but ended up pulling the trigger and slapped down a FAT down payment.) I'm not disappointed in the least. I drove the 5.0 and it was buttery smooth and offered power, but you have to be patient and wait for the higher RPM for the V8 to pull strongly. The 3.3T has less weight in the front end (positive for driving dynamics on the windy roads) and offers solid torque at a lower RPM. Definitely test drive the 3.3 and 5.0 back to back before you make the leap.

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
If you're itching for a 5.0, you can transfer your lease. (I was considering a lease transfer for 6 months to a year as a "trial period" instead of buying it outright, but ended up pulling the trigger and slapped down a FAT down payment.) I'm not disappointed in the least. I drove the 5.0 and it was buttery smooth and offered power, but you have to be patient and wait for the higher RPM for the V8 to pull strongly. The 3.3T has less weight in the front end (positive for driving dynamics on the windy roads) and offers solid torque at a lower RPM. Definitely test drive the 3.3 and 5.0 back to back before you make the leap.
I never did drive a 3.3 . However that seems to be the going concensus. I like the 5.0 for the Smooth acceleration. And out here in the middle of the country with 80mph speed limits the V8 thrives.💪

corvette18TRGS

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

I owned a beautiful Audi A6 with sport package and 19” wheels. Loved it in every way except the dealer charges. Minor stuff and billed like it was major repairs. Oil cap and thermostat scared me after I was quoted by Audi. Before things deteriorated I decided to find a quality car under warranty. My Audi fear had probably grown out of all proportion after 2 Audi minor repair bills. Looked into the best mechanical automobiles and found Genesis . The G80 also had a factory warranty. Audi service was wonderful and professional so I expected the same. I was pleased with Genesis but would not say they have reached Audi’s level of finesse. The price was higher than quoted and the part came in wrong. Had to return for the higher priced part and another service visit. Work was performed well. Forgive the off topic diversion. I said to myself I’d never look at a Genesis but took a ride and drove a friend’s G80 and was hooked. Loved it enough to buy one for myself. One more diversion please. The dealerships are many steps behind Audi and BMW as far as personnel and site facilities. Just my opinion.

OBO

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Don, agreed, the Michelin MXM4 245/45-18's all around on my G80 are quiet and grip & run well. Only have 4k miles on the car but unless something better comes along, I'll replace them with the same (but not from the dealership).
Do you still like theses tires you have ?

OBO

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
You really want that v8 lol

OBO

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I am sure you will love the 5.0 Ultimate TinsleyC.. The smooth acceleration of the 5.0 is Awesome. I can't imagine the car without a 5.0.
I have the 3.8 its okay , but having the 3.3 T would be perfect. But nonetheless the car is amazing

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums