2017 g90 ultimate awd 5.0 windshield

encantotom

Registered Member
Arizona
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
on our first long roadtrip and about 1400 miles in we caught a huge rock in the windshield causing a 3 inch round crack

called earnhardt genesis where i get my car serviced and the windshield is only avail from genesis and needs to be ordered.

it is in the middle top to bottom and side to side so is ok to drive if it doesnt spread a lot more. will change when i get home.

he thought it was around 1800 bucks for the windshield alone.

by the way, what an amazing highway cruizer this beast is....

tom

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
on our first long roadtrip and about 1400 miles in we caught a huge rock in the windshield causing a 3 inch round crack

called earnhardt genesis where i get my car serviced and the windshield is only avail from genesis and needs to be ordered.

it is in the middle top to bottom and side to side so is ok to drive if it doesnt spread a lot more. will change when i get home.

tom
That sucks. Hope you have full glass coverage. They also have to align the camera for the LKAS. At least you had a comfy ride.

encantotom

Registered Member
Arizona
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
yea we have full glass coverage. the scottsdale genesis dealer says they dont do the glass and outsource it. i will double check on the alignment issue.

for the first 1600 miles we have gotten about 24mpg. and that is at 75mph most of the trip.

thanks

tom

Mr. Incredible

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
also be sure the HUD is aligned. otherwise it will show a double image. and if you have the auto wiping rain sensor, that has to be calibrated.

Mr. Incredible

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
so does the dealer have to do all those alignments and calibrations after the windshield is installed?

tom
the Hud is a manual thing, the installer should be checking to be sure the windshield is properly seated and the proper multilayer windscreen required for HUD. The HUD area has a special coating so if the windshield is not seated in the right place it will cause a double image. I had this issue with my 2012 Camaro when I had the windscreen replaced, there was a few mm of play in the way the windscreen sat in the frame and they put it in too high which caused a double image.

the other calibrations require the Dealer ODBII tech tool to do the calibrations.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
has anyone here had this done yet?

tom
Yes, at least two or three here have done it. Separate charge from the dealer but should still be covered.

GarnetTy1473

Been here awhile...
Noblesville, IN
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
There are some glass companies that can calibrate it. Had to have the windshield replaced in mine about 6 months ago. I wanted to have it down here at the my dealership so 1. I could make more money on it 2. I can discount it to myself enough to cover the deductible. Instead, State Farm wanted me to take it to another glass shop because they could calibrate it cheaper than the we could. So, instead I had to sell the windshield to this glass shop, which I give a 20% discount to, and I had to pay my full deductible. That was 6 months ago, HUD, LKAS, etc all work find with them calibrating them.

Windchaser

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
has anyone here had this done yet?

tom
I have had the windshield replaced on my 2018 G80 Sport. I arranged for the glass company to do the install at my dealer and then the dealer did the calibration after the install. The total was $2400. My insurance covered everything though I did have to pay the deductible.

Gene2

Been here awhile...
Glendale,AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

tom
I also live in Arizona and if the chip happened here in AZ. and you have the full glass coverage. There should be no charge for
glass, install, or aliegnment

Riley2323

Been here awhile...
Connecticut
I had mine replaced. I watched from the 4th story window. I don’t believe they did anything besides replacing the windshield. Did it quite well and have not had a problem with HUD, radar or auto rain.

Take the advice above and might as well ask preemptively and ensure they do it properly.

I still contend, all these alignment issues can be avoided with proper engineering.

Use spacers against the frame and windshield. And uses v notches so it absolutely gets aligned properly. No matter how much caulk is used, if you press hard enough, you should squeeze the excess out and get a perfect fit and seal every time. And with v notches it only fits in one spot...no sliding down or up or left to right.

I’d also make the radar housing spot welded as part of the roof. The windshield would just almost rest against it.

avelectro

Hasn't posted much yet...
Phoenix, AZ
I also live in Arizona and if the chip happened here in AZ. and you have the full glass coverage. There should be no charge for
glass, install, or aliegnment
Another Arizona advantage (besides having many flying rocks hitting our windshields :>) - state legislation that our insurance rates will not increase after a windshield claim. My insurance company (AAA) told me I am good for up to four windshield replacements per year at no charge. Not sure about other companies but four seems pretty generous.

I think one of the main reasons we have so many rocks on our roads here in Phoenix is the city building code that requires household yards be covered with rock, up to 1/2 inch diameter, instead of grass. The dump trucks that carry these loads of rocks throughout the city occasionally leak rocks onto our streets and highways, causing a hazard to our vehicles.

caddyman98

Hasn't posted much yet...
USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

tom
You

Yes. I had two replaced since I got mine. $500 Deductible. Enjoy her.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.